Hacking 3DS 11.5 system update incoming

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it a bit odd so many of you expect a company like Ninty to just give up trying to preserve the integrity of their software. Granted this update didn't break anything, but if it had you should expect it until DS consoles are out of production altogether. That's not happening anytime soon with the new 2DSXL released this month. Ss long as you're not one of those plebs still using stand alone HomeBrew on an outdated system, you're good. I mean Nintendo is notorious for protecting their intellectual property right down to their music in YouTube videos. To assume they are just going to roll over and play dead because of B9S is ignorant. Those banwaves in May should have been enough to convince you of that.

Reactions: Zidapi and nccom

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I find it a bit odd so many of you expect a company like Ninty to just give up trying to preserve the integrity of their software. Granted this update didn't break anything, but if it had you should expect it until DS consoles are out of production altogether. That's not happening anytime soon with the new 2DSXL released this month. Ss long as you're not one of those plebs still using stand alone HomeBrew on an outdated system, you're good. I mean Nintendo is notorious for protecting their intellectual property right down to their music in YouTube videos. To assume they are just going to roll over and play dead because of B9S is ignorant. Those banwaves in May should have been enough to convince you of that.
Maybe the devs found Nintendo's breaking point. As in, Nintendo can't do anything about B9S. It may be just too perfect for them. All they can do is sell 3DS's on higher firmware versions.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the devs found Nintendo's breaking point. As in, Nintendo can't do anything about B9S. It may be just too perfect for them. All they can do is sell 3DS's on higher firmware versions.
No they can't but they can do something about restricting the use of their software for people that have it. As seen in the banwaves. There is no reason to assume they can't/won't use other means to do the same again.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No they can't but they can do something about restricting the use of their software for people that have it. As seen in the banwaves. There is no reason to assume they can't/won't use other means to do the same again.
Sure, but even the bans can be bypassed. In the end, what they are unable to do is to "patch" B9S and that's what truly matters.

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but even the bans can be bypassed. In the end, what they are unable to do is to "patch" B9S and that's what truly matters.
Meh. Online play is overrated, esp. on Ninty's network.

How exactly does one update the Homebrew Launcher? there's so many confusing "tutorial" instructions from people... (Luma 8.1/b9s 1.2/11.4 going to 11.5 eventually and want to understand how - everything else I get.)

Last edited by KhenemetHeru,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So to those afraid of updating, I've been testing this since the update. Every single thing that worked on 11.4, still works on 11.5.
This update seems to be similar to previous updates (10.3 - 10.7) where it seemed The Big N move their focus for a brief period of time.

As for fears that this may remove a potential kernel exploit. Just remember something extremely important, Hardmod, NTRBootHAX, and DSiwareHAX can no longer be removed. Hardmod and DSiwareHAX were only rendered useless during the A9LH because of the NATIVE_FIRM requirement made it impossible to downgrade the NATIVE_FIRM to launch the exploit. This is no longer the case with B9S. And NTRBootHAX is a bootrom exploit, something that literally needs new hardware to fix.
will this brick my N3DS XL with b9s 1.2 and luma 8.0?
First you really update to 8.1, it fixed a lot of issues in 8.0
Second, this will not brick with Luma3DS. I have successfully updated three different systems, running 3 different CFWs, and not of them bricked nor lost functions.

Last edited by The Catboy,

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people say this. Playing online with a group a friends is genuinely really fun. What do you mean by "overrated"?
It's off-topic but I'll explain why I said this.

Most games that have online play these days tend to be lacking in the single-player department in some way, sometimes in major ways. I want a good, substantial single player experience in EVERY game, as it should be.

Playing with friends online is also very subjective as to whether or not it's fun, based largely on the game... and how fast, and, especially, how reliable, your network is (or if there even is one you can get into if you're, say, at Dunkin' Donuts or somewhere else in public).

And then there's the fact that it's a handheld... if I want to play with friends, there's home consoles for that. It just doesn't make sense to play online on a handheld when you're, say, waiting at the bus stop, or the doctor's (or mechanic's, or wherever else one would wait), or on a plane, or in the car on a trip somewhere, or out at the campground at night... oh wait, most of those you can't because wifi is spotty or nonexistent - unlike mobile phones, this is wifi dependent as well, so limited. It's a weird feature to have, and it was just as weird when the DS, PSP, and Vita had it.

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's off-topic but I'll explain why I said this.

Most games that have online play these days tend to be lacking in the single-player department in some way, sometimes in major ways. I want a good, substantial single player experience in EVERY game, as it should be.

Playing with friends online is also very subjective as to whether or not it's fun, based largely on the game... and how fast, and, especially, how reliable, your network is (or if there even is one you can get into if you're, say, at Dunkin' Donuts or somewhere else in public).

And then there's the fact that it's a handheld... if I want to play with friends, there's home consoles for that. It just doesn't make sense to play online on a handheld when you're, say, waiting at the bus stop, or the doctor's (or mechanic's, or wherever else one would wait), or on a plane, or in the car on a trip somewhere, or out at the campground at night... oh wait, most of those you can't because wifi is spotty or nonexistent - unlike mobile phones, this is wifi dependent as well, so limited. It's a weird feature to have, and it was just as weird when the DS, PSP, and Vita had it.
What about in say, Mario kart 7 when the CPUs are all way too easy? Multiplayer makes sense if you want a bigger challenge

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about in say, Mario kart 7 when the CPUs are all way too easy? Multiplayer makes sense if you want a bigger challenge
I'll concede with a game like that it sorta makes sense but there it's more a question of a lack of built-in difficulty scaling (read: design stage flaw).

As regards my earlier question about the Homebrew Launcher, where I'm confused is do I need to bother to update the .bin in the hblauncher_loader folder on my SD card? I followed The Guide, so I have an otherapp bin 11.2U in there.

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to those afraid of updating, I've been testing this since the update. Every single thing that worked on 11.4, still works on 11.5.
So if I don't have a9lh or b9s or any CFW, 11.5 won't change what I can/can't do through doodlebomb HBL access, thus it is fine to update. Correct?
Just making sure I'm not missing anything 11.4-specific.
Even though I have a flashcart at the ready.
Soon...

Last edited by JavaScribe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo