Country
United States

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What this does is that a ticket is sent in the request to download any titles from the eShop. It has to be a legitimate ticket which you would get if you purchased it (or in special cases like pre-installed titles). That's it, it did not add any additional tracking.

In terms of playing games online, I don't think this changed anything either. Lots of people have continued playing online with pirated copies of games to this day and few, if any, bans have been issued as a result of this.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Prove it's not true then, because I heard the 11.8 update added telemetry. A.k.a. spying.
Only thing significant about 11.8 is that it required console specific info to be sent to the CDN to download stuff, killing freeShop, but there's no actually telemetry lol
EDIT: ninja'd

Reactions: lone_wolf323

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
...Did y'all even read Michael's tweet?

"They may not act on it immediately, but like on Switch this lets N perfectly detect pirate accesses vs normal ones, and ban however they like."

My girlfriend's N3DS was banned shortly after the update. I had to donate my 2DS's seed file thing to unban the system. So yeah... I'm right to be paranoid, as I don't want my system to get banned for having pirated content on it.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States

"They may not act on it immediately, but like on Switch this lets N perfectly detect pirate accesses vs normal ones, and ban however they like."

My girlfriend's N3DS was banned shortly after the update. I had to donate my 2DS's seed file thing to unban the system. So yeah... I'm right to be paranoid, as I don't want my system to get banned for having pirated content on it.
Then don't pirate lol, Nintendo was still doing random ban waves during the time so it could be just been that, I pirated a shit ton before and after the update and never got banned on any of my consoles.

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, I read the tweet, but it doesn't line up with what happened later. I don't think authentication was added to online play, only downloading titles. Such additions were never discovered or documented.

Reactions: Dionicio3

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo was still doing random ban waves during the time so it could be just been that
Eh? I thought there were really only two major "ban waves", and that those were finished well before 11.8 was released.

I also had the impression that they ended up accidentally banning a lot of completely legitimate users, which might explain why they didn't try again.

ETA:
Did y'all even read Michael's tweet?

Well, it says "network comms now send an encrypted(?) copy of app ticket to the server". Regardless of what else that implies, you could also update to 11.16 and then just not play online? Considering you wouldn't be playing online anyway if you were stuck on an older firmware?

Last edited by Kwyjor,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

boyfriendcoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would anyone be so kind as to direct me toward or describe a solution for turning off the system update notification? I’m not sure if the update file itself is removable, but that would definitely be preferable. I’m a bit rusty and don’t recall how the auto-update settings work, as I could’ve sworn I had that toggled off, but it’s been a long minute. Many thanks for any assist!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol