Homebrew ZSnes for DS?

DomeFossil

OP
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
I went on yahoo answers, and some newb asked about the best SNES emulator for DS. Somone said ZSNES and got best answer. Some other newb asked the same thing. Someone answered ZSNES again. He got the best answer! These were all different people, btw. May I ask: WTF? Is it possible for ZSNES to be on DS? Or are they all bullsh*tting?

Could someone slap me awake from my fanciful daydreams of an emulator as good as ZSNES being on DS and tell me if this is true or not? I'd be ever so grateful!
rolleyes.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're talking out of their a$$. ZSNES is written in a totally different programming language than the DS. You'd have to write the thing from scratch. Don't give up on SnemulDS! Archeid says he'll work on it again soon.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I tried running the DOS version of ZSNES in the proof-of-concept port of DOSbox to the DS, but it failed horribly, which was to be expected.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the problem with porting ZSNES isn't so much the language it was written in, but that some portions use inline assembly to improve speed. And that assembly is in Intel x86. So someone would have to rewrite all those routines. That's mostly why you see tons of ports of Snes9x (pure C/C++), but not really for ZSNES.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Nope - I'm pretty sure ZSnes was written in assembly - not just portions. That's how they got such greater speed gains on Snes9x in the 90's. The menuing system was probably written in something else though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Snow days $25 on steam may grab it