Hacking Zelda The Missing Link injection?

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
OP
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, just a reminder, you can discuss about the romhack and share patches just fine, however cannot ask for links to roms, or offer links, even in private messages.

This also includes prepatched wads and injected virtual console titles.

Now carry on with the discussion. :)
Oopsiedaisy lol, thanks for the heads-up about not sharing in PM either. Is giving a (possibly cryptic/riddlish) search querry also a no-no?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oopsiedaisy lol, thanks for the heads-up about not sharing in PM either. Is giving a (possibly cryptic/riddlish) search querry also a no-no?
Hinting is okay in my book, but just don't push it ;)
We don't want to be seen as a warez sharing forum.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Quincy

OP
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hinting is okay in my book, but just don't push it ;)
We don't want to be seen as a warez sharing forum.
I understand (I know the turbulant past lol.) I've seen creative ways to try and circumvent that (ie one of the old nus-tools which generated the common-key if you entered the asked number) though :P

Another question: Is it okay to link to an archived (wayback machine) copy of the homepage of TML (which links to archived copies of _only_ the patches + instructions)? Seeing how the original patch and acompanying site/git-repo have been nuked by Nintendo :rofl2:. If that's okay I'll just update fipo with that fully functional archive so everybody can get the patch to apply to their own roms.

I can drop it in your PM box so you can check it out first if you're not sure lol

Last edited by Quincy,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I understand (I know the turbulant past lol.) I've seen creative ways to try and circumvent that (ie one of the old nus-tools which generated the common-key if you entered the asked number) though :P

Another question: Is it okay to link to an archived (wayback machine) copy of the homepage of TML (which links to archived copies of _only_ the patches + instructions)? Seeing how the original patch and acompanying site/git-repo have been nuked by Nintendo :rofl2:. If that's okay I'll just update fipo with that fully functional archive so everybody can get the patch to apply to their own roms.

I can drop it in your PM box so you can check it out first if you're not sure lol
As long as only the patch and the instructions are provided, it's fine. Just no direct link or mention of where to find the ROMs, or even prepatched ROMs.

Quincy

OP
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, so I have given up on trying to inject TML into a wii u-channel/vWii NAND forwarder because aparently getting stuck on the ClasCon required screen is normal for n64 injects/forwards with a ClasCon requirement that are patched for gamepad.

Instead, I've booked some succes by installing Wii64 by fix94 to my U-sysmenu and starting the rom with this (overclocking vWii using sign_c2w_patcher is supposedly recommended for n64 emulating but I have not noticed a difference in fps with a regular clocked vWii, 20.4fps avg)

7vk7oAG.jpg

9XtGtPM.jpg

G6WlPyG.jpg

Install this with wup installer if you want to try for yourself

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D0pRER2yiBEoRsql_D80BOsErHlBWrcH

Last edited by Quincy,

Quincy

OP
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reactions: atypicalchaos

Quincy

OP
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I have an unbelievably amazing breakthrough here!!

I decided to just inject TML into a Wii U VC title (I used OoT USA as base) and accept that the biggest part of the HUD/UI wouldn't be visible
qetwDFE.jpg

After I made it out of the starting area and arrived in a desert-like area I got shocked by what I saw when the area faded in:
1u0brtI.jpg

Out of the blue, the HUD randomly decides to finally pop up! Seems like no-one has even bothered to play HUD-less for more than 5 minutes else somebody would've noticed this ages ago :rofl2:

Last edited by Quincy,
Reactions: prince_h

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an unbelievably amazing breakthrough here!!

I decided to just inject TML into a Wii U VC title (I used OoT USA as base) and accept that the biggest part of the HUD/UI wouldn't be visible (like this)
qetwDFE.jpg

After I made it out of the starting area and arrived in a desert-like area I got shocked by what I saw when the area faded in:
1u0brtI.jpg

Out of the blue, the HUD randomly decides to finally pop up! Seems like no-one has even bothered to play HUD-less for more than 5 minutes else somebody would've noticed this ages ago :rofl2:
I remember getting stuck before reaching the part here where the HUD would ever properly appear, I think I needed to know a song for the Ocarina, but didn't know the song because the notes wouldn't appear on screen like the missing parts of the HUD.

Quincy

OP
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember getting stuck before reaching the part here where the HUD would ever properly appear, I think I needed to know a song for the Ocarina, but didn't know the song because the notes wouldn't appear on screen like the missing parts of the HUD.
Oh, that part was pretty obvious to me and anybody who has played OoT :P If you look around the village you'll soon enough see Sarias' name, so I just tried to play OoTs'Saria's Song (which skull kid was playing in the lost woods in OoT, down right left x2) in front of what seemed like a clean musical score on the wall in one of the upper level treehouses and voila :P (also, the start menu tells Link knows two songs in the start, Sarias' and Eponas' songs, and even though you can't see the icons you can play them in the start menu, eponas song is identical to OoT as well)

Just realised, on the previous page I posted a screencap where I am playing Sarias Song in the correct place to progress using Wii64, with the icons visible :rofl2:

I mean, I've finished OoT (and MM and WW with their ocarina/windwaker songs as well) so often by now that I know pretty much all of the songs by heart :ninja::ph34r:

Last edited by Quincy,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that part was pretty obvious to me and anybody who has played OoT :P If you look around the village you'll soon enough see Sarias' name, so I just tried to play OoTs'Saria's Song (which skull kid was playing in the lost woods in OoT, down right left x2) in front of what seemed like a clean musical score on the wall in one of the upper level treehouses and voila :P (also, the start menu tells Link knows two songs in the start, Sarias' and Eponas' songs, and even though you can't see the icons you can play them in the start menu, eponas song is identical to OoT as well)

Just realised, on the previous page I posted a screencap where I am playing Sarias Song in the correct place to progress using Wii64, with the icons visible :rofl2:

I mean, I've finished OoT (and MM and WW with their ocarina/windwaker songs as well) so often by now that I know pretty much all of the songs by heart :ninja::ph34r:
I've played plenty of OoT in my life and beat it numerous times, but I've also played many other things and done many other things in my life that takes up valuable memory space in my brain, meaning that committing any of those tracks to memory outside of the game absolutely didn't happen, was just never an important enough detail for that to be a necessity to me (also doesn't help that the last few times I played OoT were on 3DS where they were different buttons corresponding to the notes). And I know I could have looked up the track once I got to the part in the TML, but then it felt like the purpose was defeated, as then the issue of the game's HUD not displaying was clearly going to be an ongoing problem throughout the playthough I had assumed, and that was not how I was wanting to play the hack, having to turn to the internet every so often instead of being able to figure it all out in game.

This is all my roundabout way of replying to you earlier, I would have played this longer than 5 minutes on the Wii U, if I hadn't reached a point where I believed it was clear that the missing HUD would actually be an ongoing issue beyond just aesthetics.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It has been a while since this great mod was released. Did anyone get it working properly on the Wii U yet? The newest version is 2.0, so there must have been some upgrades. But what would be the best way to play this game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol