Yuji Naka is no longer working at Square Enix, following the release of Balan Wonderworld

yuji-naka-1280x720.jpg

Former Sonic Team lead Yuji Naka has apparently left Square Enix. His official Facebook and LinkedIn pages have been updated to show that he no longer works at the company, which he was employed at since January 2018. According to the update, he left on April 30, 2021. Naka's most recent project for Square Enix was Balan Wonderworld, which he directed; it released in March of this year, and was met with negative reviews from critics and players. Neither Naka or Square made mention as to the reason for the departure, though many seem to be speculating that the disappointing sales and critical reception are behind it. For now, he has returned to his own company, Prope, which just celebrated its 15th anniversary.

:arrow: Source

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that Balan Wonderworld is a popular game to hate on but if you look closer at the game there actually are some underlying good qualities. Unfortunately it seems that the game wasn't given enough time in the oven, so the genuinely good character design and talent that went into the game got wasted because of the terrible impression it made. If only the game had been play-tested more and delayed a bit it would have lived up to the hype.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I remember Square Enix said they'd only give him one chance at a 3d platformer to see if he could continue working with them.
Which is kind of ridiculous considering nobody at Squeenix has any real experience making platformers. They were probably expecting him to fail.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know that Balan Wonderworld is a popular game to hate on but if you look closer at the game there actually are some underlying good qualities. Unfortunately it seems that the game wasn't given enough time in the oven, so the genuinely good character design and talent that went into the game got wasted because of the terrible impression it made. If only the game had been play-tested more and delayed a bit it would have lived up to the hype.

God I hope this is satire

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's been coasting on name recognition for years, though. The last game he made that received decent critical scores was Sonic Rush (and Phantasy Star Universe in Japan), and that was nearly 16 years ago. He's clearly not at the level he was when he made Burning Rangers and Nights. I would've only given him one shot, too. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd have given him that. He needs to do something small that's actually good and build his reputation back up.

Sakuraibr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope. Sorry to disappoint. Although on second thought I'm probably wrong about it living up to the hype, it definitely wouldn't have been as disappointing.
Can relate to this. Yuji Naka is talented and put a great creative design altogether for that game. However, for an ambicious new 3D platformer from the "former Sonic creator" unfortunately the responsibility is something that goes past him and falls atop Square Enix's heads. If he went the Kickstarter way of doing business or a company open enough to give him more time and the requeired budget accordingly, that's another thing (and yet, he has a big share as a producer, not a game director). When the demo first came out, with the given reception it's basically impossible for any serious company to not have noticed the way that boat was going it would sink, yet, Square Enix still followed their very same schedule to "release it just in time".
I honestly feel bad for him and I hope he can be reallocated to something serious this time, because whenever talking Square Enix business model and its organization it is always basically a joke.

Last edited by Sakuraibr,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought this video was particularly insightful.

(No doubt the game has been a gift to video game commentators if nothing else.)

Of particular note there is that Prope was pretty much reduced to just one employee.

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
What it could gave been and what it actually is are different things. They should have scaled it down and reviewed some design (why a platformer where every action is tied to one button is beyond me, jumping should've been separate, not a freaking ability).

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was legitimately excited for Balan Wonderland (yes I know that's not what it's called) until I nearly picked it up when I saw it was out and quickly checked out reviews before not doing that. It was too bad. He should go work for Bandai Namco and pitch a new Klonoa game. Klonoa always gave me strong Sonic Team vibes.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

From what I’ve seen/heard, it seems like core aspects of the game are bad by design e.g. the control scheme.

The game basically needed reworking on a fundamental level and possibly even a restart, something time on it’s own may not have been enough to solve depending on those involved i.e. they could have had all the time in the world and still not fix it.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/CaOkTKfxu44?si=gaexp0MTD_Yi-udH