Gaming yu-gi-oh is a surprisingly fun game

maduin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a 24-year-old graduate student who has never watched the show, played the card game, or had any interest in the game whatsoever. I put it on my supercard lite just to see what it was like, and I ended up playing (and still playing) this game several times a day. Usually my game diet consists of mario kart ds, star fox command, castlevania DOS, Sonic Rush, etc. But Yu-gi-oh Nightmare Troubador has become very addictive. I think it's because I enjoy strategy games, I play chess several times a week, so that might be it. I recommend that people try it out if you haven't yet.

guardian_457

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yu-gi-oh is the best i've played tons of the games but the most confusing one is like the destiny board traveler for gba it doesn't tell u how the hell to play it .
gbasp.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
MAgic is better. Yu-gi-oh makes it too easy to like, pwn. So littls strategy. IMO.
Magic's also far more complicated; if you're the kind if person who likes to spend more time reading rulebooks and learning systems than actually playing the game then fine, but personally I prefer something a bit simpler that I can actually understand from the instruction books alone without mentoring. (Got a freebie Magic starter pack once; 20mins later we still didn't get it) Plus buying actual cards like that is expensive as hell, especially if you're playing against people where you need a really good deck, by which time it's a waste of cash tbh.

Yu-Gi-Oh on GBA is fun, I remember losing a couple of weeks of my 2nd year to "Eternal Duelist Soul". Though it gets a little repetitive after a while as you get more familiar with what your deck can do.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Magic is really NOT complicate at all. You have mana sources ( lands, special cards ), Creatures and Spells. You have to pay for your actions like summoning or spell casting which is what gives the strategy in. The rest is up to the card texts. And Spell-Chaining is also not difficult. In fact I consider Magic even simpler than YGO and other card games derived from it with there weak rules.

The only drawback on Magic is that you really have to disallow a lot of cards to make it a fun match as there are too many overpowered or overly complex cards out there :/

WraithGR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Magic isn't complicated. There's a 10-yr old playing in my LGS and from what I gather he's doing pretty well at tournaments too (well, for a 10-yr old). Keep in mind also that the kid's Greek, so english isn't even his first language. Please, you don't even need a rulebook. Like Dragonlord said, if you have the basic mechanics down (10 mins tops) the rest just goes the way the cards tell it. All comments on it being a waste of cash to keep up with find me 100% in agreement though.
Finally, on topic, I might give yu-gi-oh a go sometime. I've been avoiding it on principle, which isn't really very mature
tongue.gif

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think sonicstorm was responding to saxamo about Magic.

I was an addict when the TV show first aired. So much so, in fact, that I spent most of my time playing the Japanese "Yu-Gi-Oh! Dual Monsters 5 Expert 1" for the GBA. I don't understand Japanese, but it showed the attack and def in numbers that I do understand, and I recognized most of the effect monsters, magic, and trap cards from the TV show, so I had no trouble doing well.

I don't really play the actual card game anymore, because as of late they've been making stronger cards just so that the people who buy more can win more. It takes the strategy out of the game. I still play the video games, though, because despite the notoriously cheating AI in each one, the skill level is a tad more balanced what with getting new cards in the games based on skill rather than money.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I played Yu-Gi-Oh before. I stopped playing because everyone else did, your considered "gay" to people at school. I aklso hate spending 4 bucksand you might get crappy cards(it also seemed that I always got sucky cards and everyone else got good ones
wacko.gif
). I don't mind really playing the video game, I'd definately play the video game more of it were wi-fi'ed.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest either The Eternal Duelist Soul or WorldWide Edition. The other ones do some pretty screwy stuff to the rules.

DungeonDice Monsters is pretty good too, but it's a different game entirely (They had a weeklong miniseries on TV about it). Unfortunately, the AI is kind of weak, but it's a good game nonetheless.

sketch143

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i recommend Eternal Duelist Soul as well.. it's a good game with not much bugs.. Nightmare troubadour on DS has too much bugs with the Effect Monsters.. a number of effect monsters have their effects all screwed up.

Neil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
that's the great thing about the DS version, I've never played before and had no idea how to play, but the DS version basically teaches you how to play as you play it.

I thought I'd give it a go based on what you've said here, but I've not found this to be the case yet. I thought it would guide me through the first few battles, but I seem to be left on my own. There's a ton of instructions to read in that shop thing, I was hoping to be given some kind of tutorial. Am I missing something? Will try and persevere with it a bit longer, as I do love strategy games, and I think I could definitely get into it.

Neil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Ooh, I'm getting into this now fo' sho', it takes you to just dive in and figure it out as you go along. Yes, it is indeed surprisingly fun, thanks for the tip. What other good DS strategy games are there, apart from Advance Wars?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi