Gaming YouTube is dying plain and simple

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So much this. Youtube was doomed as soon as they started paying people for uploading their trite garbage. People making their livelihood dependend on fucking vlogs was one of the worst mistakes ever. I hope this whole influencer thing dies in a fire.
"influencer" marketing has been happening in earnest for the better part of a century at this point ("Torches of Freedom" probably being a good start), and people have long since been shown to want to copy the rich and powerful, even monkeys will follow their group leader in various things.

Unless humans are as a collective, or at least a serious majority, suddenly going to use higher thought and rationality as a default... one can hope, and I suppose there is "the device".

As for vlogs as a source of income then if the views/returns on advertising are there. That said I would probably view it as a side effect of them allowing monetisation (and long form, and quality more than old school flash afforded) which in turn did see a lot more content produced that I like to see. I might also go so far as to say wanting shot of vlog types is much akin to wanting rid of editorials in a newspaper.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Youtube as a "business" is probably doing very well... But "Youtubers" are getting less and less paid for their videos. Some say that even for 1 Million views you get even less than 500 $.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube culture is toxic and awful and predicated upon achieving viewership at all costs. I wish it were dying, but it is not.

Reactions: depaul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
YouTube culture is toxic and awful and predicated upon achieving viewership at all costs. I wish it were dying, but it is not.
I completely agree with you. Most of them propagate banality, advertise wrong facts just to attract viewers, and make them waste a lot of time.

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YT's current algorithms promote stretching out (read: diluting) videos. That bothers me in a way I can't describe. When being short and to-the-point is a bad option, something is wrong.

Reactions: Ryccardo

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
When it comes the tech and mobile there are fake videos where the uploader doesn't even own the phones but gets massive views. This hurts the genuine people who do the real work and dont get high views.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much this. Youtube was doomed as soon as they started paying people for uploading their trite garbage. People making their livelihood dependend on fucking vlogs was one of the worst mistakes ever. I hope this whole influencer thing dies in a fire.
There will always be shills. You can't get rid of them. They are scum.

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. Content creators are usually cancer anyway. Youtube paying for Youtubers to create content has only spread this further.

lets not get off topic here

I don't think he's going off topic.

I used to appreciate when creators used to do it because it was fun and for passion. When it became a "JOB" for most of them, I quit watching 90% of the videos and personalities I used to watch, you saw the entitlement set in, you saw them doing it because they had too, not because they wanted too.

Then a lot of my favorites started to follow the trend of least common denominator (aka live streams) posting that as content.

Listen, I know an edited piece takes days/weeks of work, but I appreciated that fact when creators did just that. Now I can't be bothered to take my precious time, if they don't value my view or appreciate any support by the community just because they think they deserve it now.

And when ego starts to set in, some creators let their egotism drive their channels and that's something I can't/won't support at all, so I walked away from that toxicity.

I watch to be entertained and to learn something (another thing that some let slip, was fact checking, don't state it as fact, if it's not true), not listen to someone prattle on for 3 hours while they talk about game x, y, z, while playing something that they aren't very good at or know very much about, I have better things to do with my time.

I supported a creator on Patreon who I appreciated for a year, then never again, he did nothing but complain about making $120k a year and how YT screwed him and why his viewers should appreciate his work more. Additionally there were too other tail-coaters of another fairly known YT'er who blatantly talked about in a video to ask their viewers to send them money or a game that was rare because then they wouldn't have to pay for it, such a trashy way of thinking... Good riddance to that kinda of diva behavior.

I watch YT maybe 2-3 times a week (or less) nothing is 'must watch' anymore.

You said your dream is shattered, if you're going into it to make money and be the next YT star, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons...FACT. Do it for fun or not at all.

Last edited by mario5555,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said your dream is shattered, if you're going into it to make money and be the next YT star, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons...FACT. Do it for fun or not at all.

The dream of a rock star is to be a diva. The dream of being rich is to have power and influence over others. I'd say there's no real reason to argue his dream is shattered because, as FAST6191 put it "Unless humans are as a collective, or at least a serious majority, suddenly going to use higher thought and rationality as a default..." it's going to keep happening.

Personally, I'm not into twitter, instagram, youtube, etc as a creator because if I had any desire to get out of any of those platforms it'd be to quickly gain money, liquidate it, and then go into seclusion. I don't have desires to be a diva, regardless of an ego to the contrary--it'd be too much work for me, honestly. Nor would I want to do it as a long-term job--it's not fun to have fans that dictate to you what you should be doing and trying to steer the course of what you should actually be doing. *shrug*

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its definitely dead for smaller channels b/c the algorithm just isn't there for their videos to be reached. If your going to be a Let's Player you either just upload for fun
or start putting your focus on Twitch. I could upload a beautiful HD 1440p gameplay with less than 100 views while some popular scrub makes a simple reaction video to get way over 30k...

Last edited by MasterJ360,

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's been dying, though. It doesn't run a profit, ever. YouTube only ever loses money. However, despite it's tendency to hemorrhage money, Google/Alphabet keep it around, because of just how impactful it is. There's nothing like it on the internet. The way they're run is horrible, though, and despite the impossibility of it, I hope something else comes along to compete with it. Twitch already sort of draws people away, but it's not enough. Content creators and viewers both get screwed by the censorship/demonitizing/etc from Google, which is the most irksome part.
If it didn't make any money, why would it need to put up ads? After all, Google is a big company.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

People are saying that YouTube is dying because of the way they're handling their Content ID system, not to mention the very ambiguous, easily abusable community guidelines.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like its degrading from what it used to be. Big youtubers will help keep it alive b/c honestly those are the channels YT support in terms of viewership
But b/c ppl are picky on what to watch/busted algorithm click-baiting is being encouraged to draw attention. Its dying to a certain point of view b/c it gets worse each year from policy changing to stripping away user benefits.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People keep saying they are not watching youtube any longer as there is nothing there. I find this odd as I am getting loads and loads of stuff to watch, and most of the time it is hard to not finish a day with more stuff than I started with (and I watch pretty much everything a 2x speed). I have not watched TV in years but I don't even watch TV shows any more and find youtube filling in the gaps. History, geography, alternate history, physics, chemistry, high concept science, making things from metal, making things from electronics, making things from wood, making things with automated machines one can nowadays buy for their own shed at prices mortals can afford, general theory of all of those, news, breakdowns of fictional worlds, reviews of said fiction, discussions between people... all of those generate stunning long form content for me. Usually dense as you like (no padding or cutting to reach arbitrary US style TV limits, have production values at minimum up the with the serviceable stuff from the 90s but often with a modern twist -- when a dude with a lathe in his shed can readily afford a 3 camera setup and timeline editing is available by default...

YouTube realistically won't die until there's a viable alternative/competitor. People are going to keep using it and Google's going to keep it afloat at least for that long.
When you say that though people think another site/service like dailymotion or something rising up, which is possible but a minor thing. Bandwidth, storage and distribution wise we are getting to the point where normal people can share videos from their own platforms again, and if indeed some of the old school techniques are reinvented (I am seeing talk of peer to peer*, or device to device, for user generated content being created) which is where talk is now heading.

*possibly even person to person like friends. Wind in some kind of distributed database (think a slight twist on old school gnutella searches where it would look for others with files matching a hash), RSS feeds and similar and you have something.

Distributed payment methods are a thing, and looking around then plenty of people already want to sell me subscriptions to learning sites, website builders, means to shave, their own subscription services, though metrics might be a harder thing to crack there (or not if there is some kind of swarm measure).

Momentum might be hard to handle but most of these services have something of a finite lifetime -- all the kids that left myspace, then left facebook for tumblr which recently shot itself in the guts, I am told many kids go for instagram and snapchat as well rather than facebook, twitter is seeing a bit of an exodus (and was long a solution in search of a problem). If all those services get a bit more controlling than they already are (for my taste they have long departed from any ideals of free speech and expression) then that could be the incentive.

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all those services get a bit more controlling than they already are (for my taste they have long departed from any ideals of free speech and expression) then that could be the incentive.
I agree with that statement to an extent– they're kind of inconsistent about that, aren't they?
Content creators and viewers both get screwed by the censorship/demonitizing/etc from Google, which is the most irksome part.
content creators haven't been anything but royally screwed over by YouTube's new "kid-friendly" rules.
...yet
-The fact that we're all "connected", trends and free speech made everything worse.
-Youtube was doomed as soon as they started paying people for uploading their trite garbage.
-it died as soon as they let idiots get paid to scream and rant in their videos.
-There are many videos that are too much explicit and annoying. Not worth.
-Content creators are usually cancer anyway. Youtube paying for Youtubers to create content has only spread this further.
So the moral of this story is... screw you, YouTube. Yeah. Or something. I mean who names a company "Alphabet" and then doesn't make all their product names use every letter in the alphabet? Idiots.

fiis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love watching a 2 minute ad on YT in order to watch a 30 second clip. Makes so much sense, especially when the 2 minute video is how I can become rich by following Joe Schmoes proven methods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, thx