Gaming YouTube is dying plain and simple

tonyrayo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lets not get off topic here
Unless there was a deleted post I didn't see, I consider this all to be "on topic". The people who are being hurt the most by the drop in ad revenue are the ones who are putting all of their eggs solely in the YouTube basket. There are lots of teams out there that have been affected little to none by the "adpocalypse" (I can't stand the phrase but at least people know what I'm referring to). If you don't diversify yourself and/or your brand in any market where you don't have full control over distribution, then droves of people will lose out if that one service changes policies or goes under.

YouTube has been trying anything and everything to become profitable (how many people do you know that pay for "YouTube Red"?) and right now, as with traditional media, advertisers are their largest source of income, but with ~400 hours of videos being uploaded every minute, even trying to somewhat properly index such works in an algorithmic nightmare. If Google hadn't bought it out years ago (I still think they paid way too much at the time, but that's moot), I think it's likely that it would have collapsed under its own weight as time went on. Thankfully Big G is a large enough company that they can afford to have a popular service in the red (no pun intended) while constant changes are happening so it's probably not going anywhere, but the same laws and rules that have affected it would be placed on any other giant service that would try to overtake it (compared to comparatively niche services which exist now that are chipping away at both content and user views).

Reactions: lordkaos

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youtube was probably never intended to have people make money on it, but i guess that was then and this is now. Then, google didn't own youtube. Now, they do. Conspiracy somewhere? :ninja:

Also may not help if the net neutrality thing is possible.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

MeteoXavier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I unfortunately cannot take any other position except the "Old Man" in the room when it comes to my complete lack of empathy for content creators and others who banked very hard on society-defining free online services being their golden ticket to fame and fortune, because everything I've heard and read on it just comes off as folks not being happy with the reality check they got dealt with.

Familiarize yourselves with the terms "gold rush" and "easy come, easy go". Making serious cash and having a career trying to rip off GameGrumps, cosplaying at conventions, doing makeup reviews, commenting on niche anime fandom questions, engineering pranks and all that shit was never going to be a sustainable income because there was only so much that could squeezed out of it in the first place. It's the same basic spiral as so many other things in history - some folks make it big doing a really fun thing that happens to make them a lot of money, word gets out, public interest inflates, billions of other folks take notice to try to get a piece of that pie, the market becomes flooded, too much interest and notice is put on the industry due to the surge of activity in its infrastructure, regulations and changes come down, people get upset and blame shit that had nothing to do with it, the potential money is already spent, it starts dying, topics like this arise, and eventually someone like me comes in to remind you of the cycle.

That's just the way these things in life work. Everyone wants to have fun while working, live their dreams, be famous and make a fortune all at once, but no matter what, that only ever works out for a few people per million. Whether you're a famous Hollywood actor, rock star, inventor, etc. sooner or later the bubble bursts and the gravy train stops running. Even if you do hit "the big time" as people call it, you probably only get a few years of that before your potential (and money) runs out. Maybe there might have been other, better ways to keep ad revenue running like it was 2008 again and keep the content creation machine flowing with milk and honey, but we'll never know now. The bottom line is the bottom line is bottoming out and I think it's a great opportunity for those who foolishly tried to put all their eggs in the Youtube basket to remember that NOPE, life doesn't owe you success just because you want it. Shit changes, time to move on.

That's the way it's going to be because that's the way it's always been.

Dagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless there's a competitor/better alternative I don't think youtube is going anywhere :/ Although Google doesn't profit at all off of youtube.

Reactions: Peloisan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I unfortunately cannot take any other position except the "Old Man" in the room when it comes to my complete lack of empathy for content creators and others who banked very hard on society-defining free online services being their golden ticket to fame and fortune, because everything I've heard and read on it just comes off as folks not being happy with the reality check they got dealt with.

Familiarize yourselves with the terms "gold rush" and "easy come, easy go". Making serious cash and having a career trying to rip off GameGrumps, cosplaying at conventions, doing makeup reviews, commenting on niche anime fandom questions, engineering pranks and all that shit was never going to be a sustainable income because there was only so much that could squeezed out of it in the first place. It's the same basic spiral as so many other things in history - some folks make it big doing a really fun thing that happens to make them a lot of money, word gets out, public interest inflates, billions of other folks take notice to try to get a piece of that pie, the market becomes flooded, too much interest and notice is put on the industry due to the surge of activity in its infrastructure, regulations and changes come down, people get upset and blame shit that had nothing to do with it, the potential money is already spent, it starts dying, topics like this arise, and eventually someone like me comes in to remind you of the cycle.

That's just the way these things in life work. Everyone wants to have fun while working, live their dreams, be famous and make a fortune all at once, but no matter what, that only ever works out for a few people per million. Whether you're a famous Hollywood actor, rock star, inventor, etc. sooner or later the bubble bursts and the gravy train stops running. Even if you do hit "the big time" as people call it, you probably only get a few years of that before your potential (and money) runs out. Maybe there might have been other, better ways to keep ad revenue running like it was 2008 again and keep the content creation machine flowing with milk and honey, but we'll never know now. The bottom line is the bottom line is bottoming out and I think it's a great opportunity for those who foolishly tried to put all their eggs in the Youtube basket to remember that NOPE, life doesn't owe you success just because you want it. Shit changes, time to move on.

That's the way it's going to be because that's the way it's always been.

From a pragmatic standpoint then sure. Would fall under much the same thing as "nobody owes you a living".

However when I look a the reasons given/determined for the wheels to come off the cart then it is not sudden burst of quality from elsewhere to outcompete, radical shift in products (think you were a horse wagon maker and bam model T appears), tail end of an unavoidable shift, economic downturn or similar but instead rather anti competitive actions from those they were replacing and moral busybodies of various stripes, including a departure from ideals by the platform itself. Some certainly had their star wane "naturally" but to the extent seen in a lot of cases... nah.
I will still go with the pragmatic approach, and in some cases you could see some of the things coming if you knew what you were doing* (several people jumped and braced, secured or diversified their income streams), but I would say they are not without a leg to stand on as far as complaining about unfair treatment.

*their spinelessness in the music case, several legacy sources starting to agitate, a few weaker hit pieces, general state of the morality world these days, advertiser trepidation (see the results of something like operation disrespectful nod) for these spheres, and the interesting edge cases of "the algorithm" all being examples of such things.

Reactions: Nightwish

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only way for a single site to take YouTube's place, YouTube would have to actually be shut down. Even if that did happen, there's no guarantee it wouldn't end in the messy situation of multiple sites fighting for dominance, and none ever winning.

Coolsonickirby

Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
My biggest gripes with YouTube are the ads, and not being able to download the videos without third party help.
YouTube Red for both (Which is completely worthless if you have adblock and qdownloader.)

That aside, I wonder how hard it would be for someone to create a real competitor to YouTube. Probably gonna take a lot of time and huge profit losses.

Reactions: JavaScribe
D

Deleted User

I personally believe that Youtube started to die when anyone became a "Content Creator"
I blame the un-attended kids and those good for nothing people who can't spend their time more productively.

Youtube has always been cancer, only that somehow, people used not to be that stupid as it is nowadays.
I try to be as far as I can from Youtube, because, no matter what video I try to see, it always has ads... and I hate that.
I remember the 2007 - 2008 times of Youtube, it was so much simpler in those days.

Some people still uploads good content on the site, I mean, if you stick to your personal interests.

Honestly, can't believe the type of people (stupid people, retarded people) that's became "influencers" or famous, just because there's even stupider people that supports them.

If you really think about it, the whole world has became a depressing place since almost everyone had access to the Internet.
The fact that we're all "connected", trends and free speech made everything worse.

At least that's my point of view.

Reactions: mario5555

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard that sort of thing going back to AOL. I don't see how this is any different.
Fair enough. Perhaps what I said was shortsighted.
It's by no means impossible for YouTube to be replaced, but it'd be no small feat to replace them. YouTube is owned by Google/Alphabet, and at this point, they have enough resources that competing with them is far from trivial. Then again, people have done a lot of things that are far from trivial.
uBlock Origin.
If you're a mobile user, this extension also exists for Firefox mobile. (Not Chrome mobile, though.)
If you really think about it, the whole world has became a depressing place since almost everyone had access to the Internet.
The fact that we're all "connected", trends and free speech made everything worse.
And the world wasn't a depressing place before compared to now? The internet just lets us see a whole lot more of it a lot faster.

And let us not forget the wealth of resources that can be delivered through the internet to those who wouldn't otherwise have them. YouTube has a lot of good, interesting content that can actually teach you something. (Examples: SmarterEveryDay, TKOR, The Action Lab)
Also, trends and free speech aren't new inventions. It's just been incredibly hard to say things for all to see up until someone thought to merge a printing press and a steam engine in the early 19th century.

Last edited by JavaScribe,

ginger_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not so fond of YouTube currently. Some years ago I used to watch walkthroughs or game reviews there, but nowadays I use Twitch and websites with gaming news for that stuff.
And as it was said in previous messages, advertising is too annoying. I'd like to watch all the adverb before the video, not in the middle, but that is impossible.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Good. Content creators are usually cancer anyway. Youtube paying for Youtubers to create content has only spread this further.
So much this. Youtube was doomed as soon as they started paying people for uploading their trite garbage. People making their livelihood dependend on fucking vlogs was one of the worst mistakes ever. I hope this whole influencer thing dies in a fire.

Last edited by enarky,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It helps to remember that Youtube is just a place for people to upload their home videos and not a premium television service.

I actually prefer allot of the content on youtube compared to traditional TV, even though I have access to Sky TV I use Youtube more.

There’s allot of **** on there sure, but I tend to stick to certain content and the recommended feed can be good with only the occasional ‘why is that there?’.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it died as soon as they let idiots get paid to scream and rant in their videos. screwtuberz ruined it forever i wouldn't shed one tear if it was gone tomorrow it's just absolute trash now

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: Baoulettes

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I just wanted to mention, that in the video, you see an abusive personality verbally kicking the sh*t out of his new camera man, then turn to the camera for a "personal 1:1" in which he tells people that they should als switch over to the 'app'/videoplatform he is a founding member off, because 500 of his videos were demonetized because advertisers didnt want to put up with his "Psycho series" video concept.

Then he tells you exactly the opposite as well (really loves yt and them good days, and all the good times), then asks everyone again to switch platform to his "app concept".

For some reason, I still get angry when people promote business schemes under false premises.

For the most part, I've had it though - when at the start of the video his mother (?) came into the room fake playacting, and then he fake playacted doing "gaming", and being destracted, and then... he shouted a bit, called serious time, and during it tried to sell you a product.

Is that native advertising nowadays?

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Jiehfeng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."