Your Views on the Opera NDS Web Browser?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by wildfire95, Apr 4, 2009.

Apr 4, 2009
  1. wildfire95
    OP

Member wildfire95 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Is the NDS Browser ROM any good?I heard that the DSi has a faster version, which is alot better... prehaps someone should attempt at ripping it for us NDSLite users haha.

Your views?

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    It's useful as a tool, for the ability to browse the web relatively accurately while on the go. However, it is rather slow, so I wouldn't use it for day-to-day browsing. If you want an accurate image-enabled browser for the DS, it's the best one out there, though the homebrew web browsers tend to be a bit faster if you can live with text-only browsing.

3. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    THe only reason the DSi's is faster is the better hardware, noob.

4. wildfire95
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ah kk.
    I was under the impression that since it was actually a software tweak since ~

The DS + Ram Pack
    =
    Same Ram as DSi

[​IMG]

5. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Yeah, except no. The DS/Lite has 4MB of RAM, and the Nintendo DS Browser RAM expansion has 8MB of RAM. Now I haven't done math in about five years, but I'm pretty sure that makes 12, and the DSi has 16MB of RAM. It also has twice the clock speed of the DS/Lite (ARM9 runs at 67MHz vs. 133MHz).

6. wildfire95
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ah, i stand corrected >>
    But im sure one of the reviews said the new Opera Browser was more of a software tweak then more hardware usage.

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Could be both, really. Keep in mind that the original browser was originally released in 2006, so they've had plenty of time to look at the code and find optimizations. That said though, the upgraded hardware also probably has a lot to do with it. I highly doubt one could simply dump the browser from the DSi and make it work on a regular DS though, simply because the hardware is indeed different.