your preferred review system

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So ign are reviewing ther games now with just the single digit number out of 10 wher before was 9.1 7.5 3.6 etc - I was around during the 80s and 90s and mags back then I remba out of a 100% was common and thts what I prefer it just felt natural back then with a final percentage score next to the review - today though I'm not bothered what review system they do as think most of us kno what kind of games we want to play regardless of score or opinion though I'd still like to see a percentage as thts what I was familiar with when I was a kid- but if you had a choice of a review system how would you set it out and oh yeh ther was this mag some of you may remba called ACE wher the scores were out of a 1000 :lol: I liked it and was a top mag back then

Reactions: Alexander1970

DANTENDO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bet if this site started giving comment ratings out of 10 and introduced leader boards youl soon be looking and hoping if you got a 10 next to yr name:lol:

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use Metacritic as it averages scores from scores of reviewers, and does so separately for users of Metacritic itself. I still go looking on YouTube for reviews and gameplay, but I start at Metacritic. Here are scores for GameCube games:
https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/gamecube/metascore

Change the "gamecube" in that URL to Wii for Wii games, etc. Very, very useful site.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bet if this site started giving comment ratings out of 10 and introduced leader boards youl soon be looking and hoping if you got a 10 next to yr name:lol:
I disabled likes on my options (and have never issued one myself) and have made no secret that if it was my site then likes would be among the first things to go, with the whole levels thing shortly to follow.
To that end I will take that bet.

Reactions: duwen

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Scores are a bit arbitrary for my liking, I’ve played games with high scores and hated them, low scores and loved them.
It’s better to read what’s being said about the game, better yet when you find someone who’s opinions closely match your own.

DANTENDO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hear you but I'm old school and I still want to see a score and I think most of us here always scroll to the bottom of the page to look at score first before reading the review:D

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hear you but I'm old school and I still want to see a score and I think most of us here always scroll to the bottom of the page to look at score first before reading the review:D

Hey, I'm not saying I don't do it - because I do :P It's an old, bad, habit. I don't know why I do it, because my next step is always to go back to the beginning and start reading :D

But I'm really old-school. When I started, well, when games mags started anyway I've been around longer than them, reviews, if you could call them that, mostly looked like this....

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 14.14.17.png

Heck, a lot of the games we got back in the day looked more like this......

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 14.12.49.png

Yes, I'm so obsessive I have a huge collection of games magazines stored on my personal server, and yeah, I do sometimes still hammer in a program on the ancient speccy rubber keyboard :D

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I use multitudes and averages. I mean...I can barely say whether I like game A better than game B (answer: "it really depends on the mood I'm in"), so scores I would personally give to games barely matters...and I'm the one with the taste in games I know best!

Likewise: there are some reviewers I really like on youtube, but even so I listen to what they say rather than who they are, so more than a "thumbs up", "thumbs on average" or "thumbs down" barely registers. So I really like steam's system where you can't do more than up or down. Granted: there are times I'd like a "neutral" setting as well, but I prefer it to, say, google's 5-point system. Why? Put simply: then etiquette starts to creep in. Let's say I play a game that is mechanically okay, but I don't like the style or some thing that's important to me (say...perma death). On steam, I just thumb it down and write down my reasons. But on google's store, I would avoid giving one or two stars because I feel you only do that for games that are mechanically broken. But I don't want to award three or four stars to a game I don't like. And it's somehow even worse when a game is nearly good but not quite. Three stars feels like a "better try again next time", which isn't good, so I don't do that. And I also have it happen that I want to rate it below four, but I don't want to drag the review's average under four.

Granted: part of that is also because of the way others review it (google is a mobile platform and typing takes longer, so they tend to be brief). But even so: more than 2 or 3 options just feel MORE restrictive to me than having fewer options...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So you want to see something that serves not great purpose, possibly even confuses matters, for no real reason you can think of?

Sweet.

DANTENDO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you want to see something that serves not great purpose, possibly even confuses matters, for no real reason you can think of?

Sweet.
It's only a score do you really think people are tht dumb thts all they look at - this ain't 1988 wher the only real thing to take note was the score - we live in different times wher people can discuss games online and watch videos on them before they think of buying

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's only a score do you really think people are tht dumb thts all they look at - this ain't 1988 wher the only real thing to take note was the score - we live in different times wher people can discuss games online and watch videos on them before they think of buying
How did you get from what I wrote to that?

Also people have been able to discuss things for decades, indeed prior to the advent of games (somewhere around here I have a late 1800s science journal annual where random people were discussing the events of papers, I have seen similar for music, concerts, books and more besides). It is easier now than ever before (though with the slow death of the consumer internet it might actually be harder than it was 8 years ago).

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I just watch before you play/buy videos, and some trailers. Often that is more than enough or me to tell if it's worth the money

Reactions: DANTENDO

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You actually like a scoring system then thank the lord :D
Why are you vested in my liking a scoring system? Anyway no I still think scoring is a poor thing that causes more problems than it solves but I can still recognise flaws in one system that another might not have.
If I must have one then letter grades, if for no other reason than it messed with meta analysis as converting between them is tricky, not that the popular meta analysis are all that transparent.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reviews are just someone else's opinion.
Don't get me wrong - I like hearing other peoples opinions on things I share a passion for, but ultimately the only opinion that matters when it comes to how much I like or dislike something is my own.
Certain peoples opinions carry more weight than others (those that I know to have had a similar opinion to my own in the past), but I still don't automatically trust that my opinion will be the same. Agregate review scores are totally unreliable purely for the same reason (ie. reviews built on the accumulated data of countless individual sources), plus they're also infiltrated by "reviews" from people that have made no attempt to experience whatever it is they're reviewing.
A number rating on a review is handy for an at-a-glance hint of an opinion, but it doesn't really matter if it's out of 5, 10, 100 or any other scoring scale.
The old style gaming mag reviews that gave individual scores for gameplay, graphics, audio, presentation and an overall score were handy at-a-glance references, but you needed to read the whole review to fully appreciate the opinion behind the numbers.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose a scoring system of 1-3 would suffice. 1. Avoid this steaming turd, how the hell did this ever get bankrolled? 2. Buy it if it’s going cheap in a sale 3. Sell your granny and get this game now, you’ll regret it if you don’t play it.....

.... But then, you’re still relying on the opinion of someone who might have a complete different taste in games to you.
Take Monster Hunter as a for instance, it must be a popular and surely pretty decent game, there’s been lots of them. But, I’ve tried a couple of them and I was bored shitless. There’s just not enough Monster in the world to keep me awake during those.

That’s the rub, one mans gold is another man’s hot poker up the arse.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose a scoring system of 1-3 would suffice. 1. Avoid this steaming turd, how the hell did this ever get bankrolled? 2. Buy it if it’s going cheap in a sale 3. Sell your granny and get this game now, you’ll regret it if you don’t play it.....

So run, rent or get it right now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.