Hardware Your OLDEST READABLE burned CD/DVD

StuH-62

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
At least that saves me the time to upload it, but it is definitely a keeper, that is if I can find it :rofl:.
2wfu2ox.jpg

t69z0y.jpg

106c653.jpg

Too clear up the confusion made in this post in this thread, see the Newbie burn spoiler:
This is how it should look like after burning the ISO to the disk:
2ldvpxt.jpg

This is how it looks like after burning the ISO file onto the disk:
a2t1n4.jpg

The second image shows how I burned the CD when it came to ISO files.
A rookie mistake I supposed!
Don't worry another disk was not wasted, this iso from this pics is a file mounted to the virtual drive
Could ya upload the ISO from your Vista disc to MEGA for build verification? I'd be extremely grateful!

Reactions: Alexander1970

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried some burned Media from 1997-1999 Yesterday. No Problem for quality media. Some 2005 princo cheap ass DVDs Had Errors, though.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 Pro mit Tapatalk

Last edited by naddel81,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So best Media for Long Time archives is still CD?

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 Pro mit Tapatalk
DVD's have about the same life expectancy as CD's do (with manufacturer's claiming anywhere from 30-100 years of preservation, assuming it's kept in proper conditions), so it wouldn't really matter which you use.

Blu-ray, however, is a much hardier storage medium, as it uses a "hard-coating" to protect data (though some more expensive DVDs use this as well these days), so it should theoretically last much longer than any CD or DVD (with estimates of 100-150 years apparently), so long as it's kept in the right condition.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My earliest are from 1999. Data discs. they are the 650mb cds lol. They are still function able. The drive was a samsung 6x cd-r drive with 2x cd-rw. was one of the early cd-rw drives. Its still sitting on the computer i put it in, A gateway Pentium 2 450mhz. Sadly the drive does not function... My earliest dvd-r is 2003 and blu ray is 2012.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.1111xmas_wink.gif

Do you think CD-R´s are "no longer necessary"... ?
Is someone still using it ?

Also for Firmware/Software Updates no longer needed (today Devices are using WiFi or USB/PC Connection)

From Time to Time I make Audio CDs with Pictures/Photos and Kid/Child Songs.ausplaudern.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!