Your OLDEST READABLE burned CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by alexander1970, May 8, 2019.

1. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    probably a resident evil PSX backup i got when i was a kid, i don't quite think its fully working, but thats probably due to the scratches all over it, but it boots and i played it for a little while a few months back.....albeit with jumpy FMV's

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. Have you tried toothpaste? Apparently its a good method to use to remove scratches on disc's

Last edited May 9, 2019
  3. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere Thank you for calling tech support this is mike

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I've got a unleaked microsoft plus build

4. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    My oldest one is a MGS PC 2000 release, the original not "remaster/rerelease" one.

5. MGS PC 2000?

6. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Metal Gear Solid

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    honestly i just keep the disk because it was a childhood memory, i have a real copy of resident evil anyway :P

but yeah i think i have tried a few of those methods in the past and never had much luck, i do have a friend who has a disk resurfacing machine so i usually just get him to do any disks i need cleaning up, although thats not really very often, cant even remember the last time

8. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    If I ever do come across it again, I could do that. I moved to a different location a while back so...
    Can you recommend a good cloud service to use that is preferably free? I keep all my backup on another drive, not relying on cloud based backups.
    I do remember I received it when Microsoft held that "Windows Vista Customer Preview Program" and if memory serves me correctly the disk itself is blue.

9. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    #*%" those no name CDs!! :shit: I just tried one from the early 2000s (PSX game Strider, very tiny at around 65MB) and it refused to read. Then again, maybe I didn't use the right serial for CDRWin back then, and it burned a coaster on purpose! Those bastards! :lol:

[​IMG]

10. MEGA is a great one. And you said the Customer Preview Program? That's leaked...for sure. But its cool that you have that because you get your own product key, materials and etc. Hold onto that...even though the build itself is leaked.

RandomUser and alexander1970 like this.
  11. Y0shII

Y0shII Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    Costa Rica
    Several months ago I took several cds/dvds and made several backups (some did not survive and lost some information). Somehow this cd survived and still works, however it is a bit cracked and it is going to the trash can. The information is still readable and I could save some useful information.

IMG_20190509_145326.
    Selection_037.

12. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Nothing different here than others have. Earliest home-burned disc I've got is probably from 2000-2001. I was using those 100mb Zip disks for several years before I bought a CD burner. Hard to believe those cumbersome things were 'state of the art' once. Also still have plenty of older commercial discs, including my Windows 95 disc. And a few hundred audio CD's from 1985 and onward.

Last edited by Hanafuda, May 15, 2019
  13. Rotohex

Rotohex Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    United States
    Homemade movies from when I was in 2nd grade. Those were quite the memories.

14. Velociraptor

Velociraptor Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2019
    Russia
    Games : Dark forces 2 jedi knight, Quake 2 juggernaut .

15. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    That I have myself...

Xbox 360 discs from 2010 likely, I've burned a lot of discs for other people (audio CD, films etc.) and had burned stuff that I threw out earlier. Starting with the 360 I kept my burned copies around, lots of Dreamcast and Saturn stuff. Earliest discs I burned were in 2008, mostly because I didn't have a burner until then.

Oldest commercial disc I have is... my copy of 3x3 Eyes on the Saturn from 1995 that I got with the console, the majority of my physical music is older and not CD media

Last edited by lisreal2401, Jun 4, 2019
  16. voddy

voddy No Title Available

Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    I guess my oldest CD is windows 95 somewhere. Not burned but a CD anyway xD

Another one Is https://www.oldpcgaming.net/ufos/ in original xD not sure if anyone knows that game. It's hilarious xD

17. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    That I personally know of, a backup of my (mostly junk) stuff made in 2003

The "still readable oldest ever we have" is an audio CD (made with winamp to convert mp3 to wav, and Adaptec easy CD creator 3), the second we ever made in 2001, I think it still works but it's been in my dad's car for so long that I didn't get many recent opportunities of listening to it
    (the first one was a data CD containing the exact same wavs, due to following too literally an incorrect tutorial handwritten by my cousin, we probably threw away that disc the same day)

Bonus answer: the first commercial CD in the home is The Smurfs for PS1, which I think I got for my 5th birthday in 2000

I do have a CD-R from 2007 or so where it looks like a black fungus is eating the tracks, but it still works fine :D

Last edited by Ryccardo, Jun 5, 2019
  18. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

Apr 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Boulevard of Broken Meme's
    I think the oldest readable CD/DVD in my Wide Spread Collection was a warez install disc/play disc of Warcraft III from back in 2003. I loved the game, and actually ended up buying it a couple years ago on the Blizzard Store, but never threw away the old disc away, and I actually even added onto it with ROC/TFT Warez Expansion Discs as they released.

I like to keep them as apart of my physical collection as they where the very first Video Games, that I really got into as a kid, aside from WoW which did come momentarily after that in 2004, but Warcraft III showed me my first taste, and LOVE of the RTS genre which mostly stayed dormant until the release of They Are Billions in 2017

19. KyleHyde

KyleHyde GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    I'm pretty sure that my oldest CD was probably just a CD-RW that was full of Animal Crossing wallpapers, avatars, and other sorts of icons. As for the oldest one that's still around and (probably) still works, it might be a CD/DVD my brother got after his high school graduation.

20. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    At least that saves me the time to upload it, but it is definitely a keeper, that is if I can find it :rofl:.
    Old pics when I got it

Too clear up the confusion made in this post in this thread, see the Newbie burn spoiler:
    Newbie burn

Last edited by RandomUser, Jun 11, 2019