You Gateway supporters should all read this...

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Schlupi, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Schlupi
    OP

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    I haven't been on here for a long time, but for those of you that I love and care about, things should be put in to perspective.

PSP/Vita hacking scene champ Wololo wrote an article on his stance on Gateway, and it is an amazing read. This is something you should all keep in mind moving forward on the scene for the 3DS.

http://wololo.net/2014/01/19/ninten...-blames-competitors-for-their-shady-practice/

Good day, everyone.

2. ultimatetemper

ultimatetemper GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2010
    DSTT also had code to make their clones brick.

NOBODY blamed DSTT for that.

Why now all the hate for Gateway?

3. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    DSTT bricked cards.
    Gateway bricks console.

4. ultimatetemper

ultimatetemper GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2010
    And now that I think...
    The version which causes these bricks is "2.0 b2". BETA 2. BETA, not a final product.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's a beta in name only. If we believe the team they still test that stuff just the same as any normal release.

NEP and UltraMew like this.
  6. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere

No matter. They put code in it to brick peoples 3DS permanently. Regardless of how it's supposed to be activated, there shouldn't be anything like that in there at all.

djnicey and Crass like this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

It being beta status doesn't justify their putting such code into the launcher. It's still a very douche thing for them to do to protect their code, etc. But then again, they're a business, they don't care about their customers.

8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Everybody blamed DSTT for that. The difference being, the DSTT clones were $5 at the time, so the backlash wasn't as severe.

Ammako likes this.
  9. Schlupi
    OP

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    They are both fucked up teams that have taken advantage of their customers, and they are both wrong. I never did and never will support either of them.

I don't care what work and dedication Gateway put into their product. To intentionally risk destroying consoles is wrong. And screw their "send in and get repaired" crap. I would not trust a shady ass company with such disgusting business practices.

10. DDTarZan

DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

Nov 11, 2009
    United States
    In some trees
    This is why I never updated my Gateway from 2.01b. And this also explains why I haven't turned my 3ds on since before 2.02b. Can't dick around with some killcode, man. Even when v2.0 final is out, and multi-rom works and all that, updating is probably the last thing I'll do as long as there's still a killcode. See, Gateway knows what they have to do restore faith in their product, but the damage has been done already. They're utterly fucked.

11. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    This is like Windows self destructing your computer by programming the fan to run at full speed and fry your rig. If the System32 doesn't verify properly. Dick move Gateway. Dick move. maybe it should have a nag watermark on your launcher or something like that saying "UNOFFICIAL PRODUCT. PLEASE SUPPORT OFFICIAL GATEWAY" or some shit like that..but breaking the actual handheld? the fuck??

buying 3DS games is a better option for me than shelling out another 199.99. Glad I passed on Gateways high price point

now someone needs to make a clone which can spoof or bypass the killcode crap..or reverse the gateway code and remove the killcode altogether. Some flashcart manufactures just want to see their fanbase burn...and it's ablaze.

It's thieves trying to stop thieves from thieving from the code that they thieved from the 3DS. no honor among thieves here. :P

The Simpsons "Bootleg bay" episode said it best: "They both say their idea is for the greater good..but really it's just both are just trying to grab as much money as they can possibly get.

12. Öhr

Öhr GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Gambia, The
    If this was an intentional feature, they just shot themselves in the foot:
    1. Nobody would switch to Gateway, after that same company killed their own 3DS
    2. Nobody would support a company like Gateway, if they hurt their own customers (which is the case) and those of the competitors (which is definitely the case)
    3. Nobody would consider buying a Gateway (or competitor) if there is a risk of bricking the console

Killing clonecards would have been understandable action, but they are killing the actual console. It doesn't benefit anyone aside Nintendo for selling more consoles!

13. Chaosruler

Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2009
    Iceland
    Tekoa
    I have the theory thatbteam gateway is big N's representive or close to that, since it benefits them directly with console sales AND injects the idea "piracy is bad" on the same move, directing their attack on the pirates rather than the hackers

14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Nobody gave a crap about DSTT bricking because nobody had an original DSTT, and fewer had a clone. And clones had their own, crappy firmware anyway (as if DSTT had a killer loader). Gateway is a much expensive card, they have no competition whatsoever.

Just buy your games.

Cortador likes this.