Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Me toooooo!!!! I hardly can wait for tomorrow! I´m looking forward to a CFW... Cross my fingers...
Just want to congratulate you on being within the remaining 10% of human beings who know about double negatives.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If a desktop pc at home can't play N64 games properly what makes you think any other hardware can do it?
LOL! What crappy PC do YOU have?!

TheKerplunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A Note on Piracy We are all developers by trade and we understand the problem of piracy that usually arises from breaking the security features of a device. The usual response from hackers is “not our problem” but we believe we can do better. We carefully designed HENkaku to be as permissive as possible for developers to write homebrew supporting private APIs and the option to bypass sandboxes. However, we also made sure to make it as difficult as possible to repurpose our tools to enable piracy. While piracy is always inevitable, we will not make it easy.

I just don't get why hackers these days are so afraid of enabling piracy on a device.
It's not like piracy will kill the console. If anything it would be helpfull: there wouldbe more people talking about the device, piracy would help to build a larger community around it and it would also help populate online games.

I've been gaming for over 27 years now, and there is not a single system in history of gaming that was killed by piracy.
The most successfull consoles of all time had to deal with piracy since almost day one of its existence.

If not enabling piracy is because of your moral and ethical values, then fine.
It is not your job to enable piracy, but it's not your job to make it difficult neither.

Reactions: zfreeman

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't get why hackers these days are so afraid of enabling piracy on a device.
It's not like piracy will kill the console. If anything it would be helpfull: there wouldbe more people talking about the device, piracy would help to build a larger community around it and it would also help populate online games.

I've been gaming for over 27 years now, and there is not a single system in history of gaming that was killed by piracy.
The most successfull consoles of all time had to deal with piracy since almost day one of its existence.

It is not your job to enable piracy, but it's not your job to make it difficult neither.

Well, maybe they'd prefer people just buy their games? Piracy isn't good, whether it kills systems or not. It's not some noble act, its just people wanting stuff for free.

If you can't develop the software to enable it, you don't get to bash on someone else's preference. If you want piracy, develop the means yourself or find someone who can do it for you. Don't moan about someone else's choice to prevent it.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

While not killed by piracy, the PSP was very much stunted by piracy. The PSP is the example you cite when discussing the impact of piracy on a console.

TheKerplunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, maybe they'd prefer people just buy their games? Piracy isn't good, whether it kills systems or not. It's not some noble act, its just people wanting stuff for free.

If you can't develop the software to enable it, you don't get to bash on someone else's preference. If you want piracy, develop the means yourself or find someone who can do it for you. Don't moan about someone else's choice to prevent it.

Where the hell did I said that I want piracy?
I just don't get why it is such a big deal to make it difficult like they said they would.

I am not bashing anyone.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Never said they didn't, but the PSP still managed to do well and generate a lot of profit for Sony et al. Now when you look at how poorly the Vita has performed software sales, and hardware sales?

The Vita's attach rate is actually report to be consistently very high. Vita owners enjoy a steady stream of niche games that PSP owners never would, because it was simply unprofitable to localise them.

Exiron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So, does this exploit not require a game or anything? I just get in the browser and *clap* it's done? I had my vita on OFW, no exploits, and have quite a few games on it and sometimes I even use it with my PS4, should I try this exploit? What does it actually bring to the table for the average Vita user?
I just want to be exited about this too.

Axorve

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm student in dev, and i know perfect the C# (only this :/ ) do u think i can dev homebrew in C# ? With the psm dev tool ?

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sold!

With this i can finally add my Vita to my list of consoles with homebrew. I missed the psp scene, so if this can help "rejuvenate" the Vita scene ill be more than ecstatic.

P.S. Im not sorry for that pun.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I like to make it difficult because it pisses of people like you--I don't care about "ethics" or "profits" or any shit like that. :P

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe because they dont care for it.
Or dont want to get c&d'
Or arrested.
Or they are doing it to study
Or they want to be a dev but cant afford dev kits
Or they want to know how things work
Or they want to "win" against companies by cracking their security
Or they work for the CIA

I can really think of many reasons why someone doesnt want to do it. But if they dont want to they dont have to. Plain and simple

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto