yet another person thinking about upgrading to 4.0...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by buvk, Apr 2, 2009.

1. buvk
    OP

Newcomer buvk Advanced Member

Canada
    I currently have

- 3.2U
    - CIOS rev09
    - starfall
    - dvdx
    - wiikey (don't really care about about softmod)
    - HBC

I've done some looking around and I think I should be following method 2 in the following guide:

http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html

Once I have finished method 2, I am going to install the latest preloader as I understand starfall will no longer work

is there anything else im missing?
    will dvdx still work?

im also assuming that if i follow the method 2 installation steps that I will be able to copy my wads to the SD

hoping someone can confirm all of this

thanks!

2. NeXsus

Newcomer NeXsus Member

Canada
    I'm actually in the same boat as buvk minus dvdx, I'm curious about this as well as I would love to boot directly from an SD card

Thanks

3. 8v8t8r

Newcomer 8v8t8r Advanced Member

United States
    a few days ago, my wii was in the same situation as you. Using that same guide, I upgraded my wii through method 1, and surprisngly it's much better than method 2. THrough method 1, the wii gets all the new ios from nintendo, not the buggy ios's from waninkoko. even the writer of that guide greatly recommends method 1 since it's safer. Since I too have a wiikey, I don't need any softmod, and backup games still work after upgrading to 4.0. For the trucha bug, I followed the guide and installed IOS downgrader to get IOS 60 working. All you need to do is to make sure u have IOS 60 patched & installed, and CIOS rev 8 installed before upgrading. As for wii wads, I was afraid since some vc games didn't work through the sd channel, but after I re-installed 4.0 directly from Nintendo again, everything worked once again.

So to summarize, my wii is fine and dandy and works better than before all because I upgraded through Method 1. DOn't bother with method 2. [​IMG]

4. anino

Newcomer anino Member

United States
    I can also confirm that method 1 is better or shall we say safer, few user brick their wii using method 2. Maybe incompatibility with some IOS still in the old version. At least in method 1 all are up to date, you can again revert back the IOS what you need using IOS downgrader.

5. buvk
    OP

Canada
    great thanks, i will try this after work and let you know how it goes

6. buvk
    OP

Canada
    well i did the install today
    i havent tested dvdx yet but i tested a trucha signed disc and it worked ifne (i did method 1 btw)
    hacked vc games seem to work from sd, however megaman 9 isnt working for me. i tested bomberman and it worked, and so did other ww games.

overall im content with this update