Hacking (Yet another) broken hinge on DS Lite

tech673

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No cracks on mine or my friend's Lites. At work alone we can do four to seven hours of gaming with a lot of opening and closing. We don't baby them but we don't act like they are a brick either.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty worried about cracking my hinge- I'm not gonna lie, I take really poor care of my gaming equipment, I've even dropped my Lite onto cement more than a few times in the less than 2 months I've had it, and, being white, I'm sure the thing will crack sooner or later.

What I'm really concerned about is getting it fixed- how much is it going to cost me to fix it if it happens? I can't live without my DS, and I'm not really sure if my Lite is under warranty or not, because I got it new but it was free from a contest.

gh0ul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have the black (onyx) lite and with my bad luck, im surprised that my hinge hasnt broken..yet. ive dropped once from top of a bunkbed, 6 feet drop, onto a thin carpet and still nothing. its gunna happen, i know it

recover

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Soo... anyone know what nintendo will charge for an out-of-warranty repair on a broken hinge DSL?
frown.gif

I'm thinking of attempting to replace the case myself, but I want all the options...
wacko.gif

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
In my life I had 2 ds lites, one was used 6 months by previous user and couple of months by me and hinges are perfect , I always use crystal cases maybe that is the key to smaller stress on hinges.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, looks like a string of bad luck for you, mate.
5 DSLs? Switch to a different color or something man

1 DSPhat (red) never had any problems -> sold to friend
1 DSLite (onyx/black/whatever) never had any problems -> still own

In fact, I only know of one person that had a crack, and it was a white/pearl one they got launch day here in the US, and the crack was barely noticeable, i told him about sending it in to get fixed, he said "that'd be fine, but 1. it doesn't effect usage at all, it's just a cosmetic thing 2. he would be without a ds for awhile, and because of those two things, he played on.

Godot0102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try to open the ds slowly, opening it just a bit in the front then I pull the screen up from the back.

The hinge of the blue ds lite seems to be much more delicate than white one.

catnapped

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The crimson ones aren't immune to cracks either...mine which I treat like fine china has a cracked right hinge (where the power/charge light is). Didn't make a difference that it still has the warranty either...costs $57.50 to fix it (yeah right). Going to put a tiny wad of epoxy (the kind that's like silly putty) over it and forget about it.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I play every once in awhile. I had mine for 8 monthes now, and it's still fine. I even check everyday to see if anything wrong with it. So far nothing, and also, I have a black DSL.

theman69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After playing mario kart for about 80 hours i can say that my R button got totally raped and needs to be mashed down really hard to work
frown.gif

can't replace that one since it's flashed :/

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well, my DS Lite seems to be pretty strong. I threw it across the room a few times since I bought the thing, and not single scratch or crack can be found. So I'm pretty comfortable with my DS Lite. (its the white one)

I can get quite a bad temper with certain games lol.

Also note that the DS was open the two times I threw it.

rix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
fifth
wacko.gif
ds lite ...expensive hobby
wink2.gif

We have 3 ds lites in the house.
Two ds lites (black+white) are 1 year old and are used daily by my kids.
The third one (golden zelda) is 2 months old, also used daily (by me
nyanya.gif
).

Never had a problem with the hinge.
We also use those airfoam/airform carry cases when carrying around the ds lites.
Probably that also lessen the stress on the hinge when it's transported.

They also fell off the table a couple of times (without the carry case), only a few scratches, but it still works fine.
My experience is that those ds lites are strong devices.
All 3 of them are still working fine.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Mines fell off of a table a few times too, although I've always got it in a Shell Case, I doubt there are any scratches since I never take off the shell case, and only one stuck pixel (I know there's a homebrew program to fix stuck pixels, but I can't be bothered to try it).

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a black DSL, I had no problems until a schoolmate of mine dropped my first and the power button got screwed up (the spring in it). I actually got that repaired for free (well got a replacement after like a month, heh) but then the hinge on this new DS, also black, broke. The first one fell me actually quite a few times and the power button was ok until a schoolmate dropped it and the hinge was a-ok. And then on the second one the hinge just broke from stress, and most surprisingly it's on the right side and on the back :/. The upper screen part now doesn't hold properly but I don't feel like having it repaired again, firstly I'm not sure if they'll do it free, secondly I don't wanna be without my DS again
biggrin.gif
. Was thinking about the replacement cases but they're either lacking the logo, don't look too good, are bad quality or all of it.

Still it's really surprising a black DS's hinge broke and on such peculiar place, it would make much more sense if this second DS was ever dropped or anything but nay.

And that's also part of the reason I got a black one, so the hinge wouldn't break
biggrin.gif
. Just bad luck I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ