Hardware Yellow while soldering

emirof

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm trying to install wiinja right now but when I tryed to put solder on the second solder point at the wii it turned yellow or gold colored and now the tin won't apply to it... What should I do? the first one looks fine but now I can't get any tin to attatch to the other point.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
i do electronics havent modded a wii but clean the irons tip( while its hot get a damp sponge and wipe it down) and always tin your iron( put a bit of solder on the tip of your iron so its shiny. that yellow stuff is probaly just flux. get a desoldering braid and get it off with that. all of that might help. always use a 25 wat iron or lower because you might also overheat the chip

emirof

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok thx I'll try that! It really scared me, but lucky me I hadn't ruined it all. I did manage all the other ones though
biggrin.gif

emirof

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yup, that desoldering removed all of the yellow stuff =) thanks again ! I just burned my first image and it worked perfect
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

flux is amazing when soldering. And desoldering braids/wicks are very helpful when you flux0red up.

I never really got a hang of those vacuum pumps. I just end up smearing solder everywhere.
tongue.gif

dohclude

Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
flux is the ticket just as everyone else said. best solution for me is to use a flux pen (if you can get ahold of one) but you can just as easily use the liquid kind that comes in the small jars, and a tiny tiny tineeee paintbrush from the hobby store. as far as removing that oxidation, if the desoldering braid won't pull it off, go down to radioshack and get yourself a soldering accessories kit for $4 it includes a couple of pointy scraping devices(similar to a dentist's tooth scraper), a small brush, etc. Now you have to be careful when using one of these things on a PCB, don't just go stabbing it in there. If you rip the lead off the board you will be in a pickle. Just gently and carefully try to remove the top layer of oxidation by scraping the surface of it until you see the shiny surface emerge. I also recommend using a small flashlight or bench light and a magnifying device of some kind, makes life much simpler when soldering very small things, and you will be able to see if you have gotten through to the solder pad before you stab your lead out. Hope this helps bud.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?