Gaming Yay I got a 360

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got my 360 today. BenQ drive, manufactured in 2008, so I should have until 2011 for RROD protection. I don't plan on going online, I'm not paying for access to that as sweet as it may be. Plus I plan on using iXtreme firmware.

So what is recommended? I need some emulation ideas and just general ideas about what I can do with this beast. Is homebrew even possible with just iXtreme firmware?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
iXtreme LT will let you play online. iX1.6NS (no-stealth) is perfect if you have no plans (ever) to go online. However, all iXtreme does is flash your DVD drive to accept copied/burnt media. It does not affect the console in any other way, so homebrew via iXtreme is impossible.

For homebrew, you need the JTAG hack, which only works on consoles with a dashboard lower than 8xxx and is made before Jun 18th, '09. It will involve soldering diodes and stuff into the console and there is no way around that.

If you really want homebrew, find out what dashboard version you have (in the system options thing).

EDIT: I missed your last question. Homebrew offers the usual bells and whistles: region free playing, USB Loading (via Games on Demand) without the need for the disk to be inside, emulation (XB1, PS1, SNES, etc), FTP access, free HDD usage (any drive will work, not just the M$ drives), skins, themes, free XBLA and DLC usage, etc. I'm sure if you looked around, you'd even find Pong to play while you're bored
biggrin.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
use iXtreme LT, the iX1.6NS (no-stealth) is useless because when you connect your console to live you get banned.
with iXtreme LT you can also play every game now and in the future.

dont update your 360 if you want homebrew, if you have 8xxx dash youre out of luck.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
...USB Loading (via Games on Demand) without the need for the disk to be inside...
Games on Demand or "GOD" files aren't needed anymore. You can extract the ISO into a folder for USB loading. It's faster and easier to extract than to convert.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
lenselijer said:
use iXtreme LT, the iX1.6NS (no-stealth) is useless because when you connect your console to live you get banned.
with iXtreme LT you can also play every game now and in the future.

dont update your 360 if you want homebrew, if you have 8xxx dash youre out of luck.

I beg to differ; iX1.6NS is certainly not "useless". True, it'll get you banned. No way around that, aside from never going online. In which case, it's better to have than LT, which only benefits in allowing you to play online if you haven't been banned yet. If you don't plan to go online though, iX1.6 has the bonus of letting you plug it into a PC in 0800 mode (turning it on with the tray half open) which will let you backup your own games into ISO form.

Going online generally also means updating to the latest dash. As above, if your dash is below 8xxx, it's advisable not to update since you can probably get homebrew. If it's above, then you might aswell just update completely and get LT and go online and play with all the other people around the world that like giving their money to M$ on a regular basis.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers! My dash is already above the required for Jtag so that is not an option, I got iXtreme LT and it works great. I'm big into Wii and I know updating is a no-no until confirmed to be good. I just got Mass Effect 2 and its asking for an update, from what I've read this is ok. Anyone confirm?

I have to get a HDD still, damn this system is expensive once everything is purchased. I am waiting to see the results of LT on live, I want to go online, but I don't know when that will happen. Greedy microsoft charging for online play. From what I've seen its worth it, there is a lot of fun things to do.

So I guess I have to look into a WiFi adapted as well, probably another 50 bucks down the drain.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you only have a DVD drive you can update as much as you like. The mass effect 2 update is probably just the avatar update.

As for online with LT it might get banned next wave but if patterns hold there is still a while to go before the next one.

Wifi- you know you can bridge connections on a laptop or some other computer rather than giving money to MS?
The first link on a search- http://videogame2play.com/platform/console...or-the-xbox-360 . I scanned through it and it is OK.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i found that after i posted as well. awesome stuff, you think M$ will give me any free live to start? im gonna call and find out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol