XStylus Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by RoMee, Mar 2, 2011.

Mar 2, 2011

XStylus Review by RoMee at 5:34 PM (1,395 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

Sep 3, 2010
    United States
    XStylus Review

This a review of the XStylus, designed by Elton Long
    The XStylus is the only DS lite stylus to expand in both length and grip

I know what you’re thinking, it’s too late, the 3DS will be release soon, but I was told they are working on a 3DS stylus. So hopefully with enough people to back the project they can release and expand and their product
    This stylus design won a bronze award in the 2010 Taipei International Show and Technomart

I got a prototype which is the second last generation sample.

The XStylus is made from recyclable plastic, and the pin shaft is stainless steel, it will be hand assembled and packaged in Hong Kong.
    It weighs almost the same as the DS lite’s stylus, the pin shaft is pretty solid, and when folded it feels exactly like a regular stylus. It fits in the DS perfectly.
    The plastic used to make the XStylus is a little flexible, but it will not break, I would prefer a harder plastic for the inner part of the stylus.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Top to bottom, XStylus, DS lite stylus, DSi XL stylus

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When expanded you get 70% more grip and the length is increased by 22%.
    It should help reduce the chance of arthritis or tendonitis and encourage a proper way to hold a writing instruments.
    The XStylus can only be expanded in one direction(clockwise)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It has two little tabs (see picture) to stop you from accidentally pushing the inner part of the stylus all the way through when expanding the XStylus.

I tested the Stylus for a whole day with The legend of Zelda: Phantom of the Hour Glass and it did great, it was much more comfortable to hold and use when compared to the original DS lite stylus.
    I had my girl use it for a couple of hours and she agreed, it was more comfortable and it’s easier to grip
    She tested it on Picross 3D and Plant VS Zombies.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The XStylus does what it’s suppose to do, improve the way you use a DS stylus. You can leave it closed for quick use or expand it when you want to use it for a long period of time. I’m very impressed with this stylus, I highly recommend the XStylus for anyone looking for a better stylus for their DS lite.

So if you think you might be interested, please help back this product
    It’s only $25 for 4 XStylus
    You will get your money back if the project is not fully funded. Your credit card will only be charged when the full 10k are raised

USERS' OPTION: Same as the $20 deal except shipping has been added on so that you don't have to do it manually. This reward includes 2 sets of XStylus (i.e. 4 styluses) and DONOR status recognition on greenbulb.com website. (worldwide shipping included)

To preorder your XStylus go here.

For more information about the XStylus go here.

This project has been canceled, collecting the money needed to help this project advance to the next step failed, there was too many bounced checks and/or people who orderd did not have the money available.

He did make a new version of this for the 3DS, you can see it here: http://www.indiegogo.com/XStylus-Crayon

I would like to thank Elton Leung for this review sample and for providing me with loads of information.
  2. sergster1

Member sergster1 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    New York
    United States
    Cant wait to get my hands on this as i have big hands and my ds stylus is pretty small... did i really just say that
  3. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Sep 25, 2008
    The Pirate Homeworld
    I have the feeling that stressing the plastic like that will eventually cause the stylus to break but I could be wrong.
  4. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Mar 7, 2009
    Didn't the maker of this post on this fourm awhile ago to try and get suggestions? I remember him showing a prototype made out of a straw?..