ROM Hack xDelta GUI: Anyway to Use Two Patches?

AtlasG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to use 2 patches for one game? I'm playing Pokemon Heart Gold with a trainer sprite patch(changing Lyra into Kris), but seeing as Pokemon is permanently set to Easy Mode, I want to use one of the difficulty patches. All the Pokemon in game, Gym leaders are an actual challenge, that sort of thing.

Is there anyway for me to have both, or do I have no other choice but to pick one over the other?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can stack patches on games but how you might set about it, especially if pokemon is the game, varies a lot and depends upon a lot of factors. I assume the trainer mod is actually a graphics mod rather than a force to another character in the game for this. If it is a force then depending upon the method used (for my money there are three, maybe four methods of setting about it) things change a bit again though possibly for the better assuming you are or can get the help of someone that knows how this sort of thing is done.

Xdelta is not a DS aware patching format (other than ones that deconstruct the game, patch the individual files and rebuild it the only format that is DS aware is dps which was pretty much only used for Jump Ultimate stars and basically does the same thing from the first part of this bracketed text) so while it will attempt to change data locations if it detects a shift it is not going to be aware enough to patch the already changed file if things have shifted. Similarly xdelta does have a file to be patched check to make sure the would be user is using the right version. I do not know what the GUI programs do about this though you can manually override it.

If the trainer change does it all in place, does not shift anything around and does not change data to be changed by the difficulty patches then do the trainer patch and then the difficulty one which I imagine will change quite a bit. If it does change things around you are not out of luck yet but you may have to play minor league ROM hacker.
I do not know if HG "sprites" are in fact 3d models (the game itself uses 3d extensively if memory serves, at least I think it was that one for first person pokemon) but either way your job would be twofold
Patch the trainer mod in and see what files are changed. Various ways you can set about this (personally I would hope the game is not shuffled around too much and then compare differences between stock and patched and figure out the differences there, if you want to deconstruct it and play with the fc command you are free to do that too) but once you know what goes then that is good.
Take a fresh copy of the original ROM and patch that with the difficulty mod. Deconstruct the ROM and replace the files you figured out were changed, this should do it. If the same files were changed in both hacks you now have to figure out what goes and how to merge them, if it is a binary hack it might not be too hard and there are a whole long list of ifs for this so I will leave it there for now.

Short version
Try applying the trainer mod and then the difficulty patch. If that does not work and you can not get a handle on what you might need to do next ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-thoughts-and-links-10-feb-2012.320568/ should get you started) then report back.

AtlasG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried patching it like you said, and when that didn't work I went ahead and looked at the code (Might as well have hit my screen with a stick all the good that did me.) but no luck. The trainer patch should just be a reskin, so I can't imagine how it would be incompatible with something like this. Heck, I even tried applying the patch to the patched version... Obviously, it doesn't work that way, cause I just got an empty file.

I'm not going to pretend to know how to do any of this, but seeing as one patch completely changes to game to be something more challenging, while the other just makes one character look different... I think I'm just going save myself the headache of trying to become semi-competent at hacking and settle for just the big patch. Thanks for trying to help, though. =]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Veho for those that want to experience being sonic the hedgehog