Xcode 7 is extremly slow.

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by BurningDesire, Feb 13, 2016.

1. BurningDesire
    OP

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    My hardware is as follows.

Mac Mini Specs
    1.4GHz Processor
    500 GB Storage

1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB memory
    Intel HD Graphics 5000
    OS X El Capitan

Whenever I open Xcode it takes a good 5min to start. I am currently on Xcode 7.3 beta 3 (this was before the beta as well) It also seems be taking up all my memory. Also don't even get me started on how long it takes the debugger to load. I have enough time to go make and drink a nice cup of tea before it shows the app. Which is why I always test directly on the device. I have clean my mac 3 installed and do nightly cleanings. So I know the problem isn't my Mac it self. Has anyone else noticed Xcode getting slower upon release of Xcode 7?

2. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Never used it, since I never tried OS X and despise IDEs, but how are you running it? Maybe it's spewing chunks of errors on stderr that could help you troubleshoot it, so start it from a terminal and see what it says.

And after a quick google lookup, it seems you're not the only one having performance issues:
    Maybe there's some helpful insight somewhere on those pages, but I only skimmed them.

Forever the time being, I suggest you try using a text editor(e.g.: Sublime Text 2/3, Vim, gVim, Notepad++, Notepad2) with syntax highlighting, a compiler(e.g.: Clang/LLVM, gcc for C) and a debugger(e.g.: gdb) as standalones, unless you need(and I mean NEED) features specific to Xcode for testing/debugging. Throw in a build tool like GNU/make, Cmake or makepp to top it off.