Hacking Xbox360 overheating problems.

seabear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a friend's Xbox broke a while back and he gave it to me, just without a case. I got it running, but it doesn't run for long. It runs for about a couple of minutes than overheats and turns off. Two red lights. It used to have the red ring of death and I fixed it with the penny trick and besides overheating it's worked fine since then I even got Halo Combat Evolved running for a couple of minutes till it overheated.

Is there anyway I can fix this problem? I was thinking of mounting it in my HAF computer case but I don't want to do all that work.

Pics:
http://i.imgur.com/4jmy1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Swpxm.jpg (sorry for blurriness)
http://i.imgur.com/SqZFc.jpg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've had my console standing vertically (2009 Jasper model)
Never gotten any problems with it.

However since there are more ventholes on the bottom (in vertical position) it might be better to have it horizontally rather then vertically.

Either way as long as you WON'T have your 360 standing in an enclosed space (enough ventilation on the back so that the hot air can blow away from the console) you're perfectly fine.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since you have the extended GPU heatsink it's just a problem with getting enough airflow. Mod your fans to run at 12V (easy since they are 12V fans to begin with just running at 5V) by tapping into the 12V right at the power supply plug. It will be super loud but nice and cool. If it's too loud you can further mod the 12V input to be variable so you can balance the noise and airflow to an acceptable level. Or if you don't care how it looks without a case just lift out the DVD drive and mount a fan right on the GPU heatsink.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of on topic.....anybody have thoughts on which one is better....keeping the console horizontal OR vertical, to acheive better airflow/cooling?

Probably horizontal due to how heat rises, and the fan blows air out the back and gets air from the sides. Also better this way as you will not get a ring of death on your disc if the xbox is accidentally moved/tipped when the disc is spinning.

@op, penny fixes, x clamp fixes usually are just temporary fixes. It may work now but generally do not last very long. Using fixes like these also has a risk of damaging it permanently.

Anyway, if you have the pennies under the motherboard, you may try to remove a penny from each stack, and or not loosing or tightning the black torx screws on very tight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)