Gaming Xbox with error

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got it for free so its not really a loss. Heres the deal. I removed the heatsinks and reapplied some arctic silver. When I boot just the machine, it goes right to E79 and i get the lower right red light. When I boot with a hdd attached, it shows the beginning of the xbox boot screen, then it kind of glitches then E79 and red ring.

I've searched but not found anything about fixes. I highly doubt I can fix it and i probably will just have a spare case and BenQ drive now. What strikes me as odd is that the drive will not eject, I don't know if thats common when the xbox errors out, but it does eject fine when hooked to my ck3 probe. I know nothing of the past of this box, got it from craigslist, mainly for the power and video cables for a friend. I'm gonna guess and say its either a fried GPU since the screen glitches before it errors with the HDD plugged in, or bad NAND.

Any opinions are appreciated, I would like to fix it, mainly just for fun as I already have a box.

BTW I just got a tony hawk ride board and game from best buy for $20! barely even worth that much, but goddamn thats cheap. I feel bad for the people that spent the 129 when it came out. but at least i can grab TH shred and have two games for it. I wish they had the wii version though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eject is drive level logic and the 360 hides it a bit.

E79 is usually a dashboard error although most people that see it will be using a JTAG machine. Still hold the wireless controller sync button, keep it held and power the console with it held until it is fully booted- this wipes the cache and fixes a lot of update type issues which result in E79.

Other than that you are probably sending it to MS or otherwise exchanging it.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn i was hoping you would give me a solution fast, you are the man. i tried clearing the cache, but it still fails. thanks for the reply anyway man. machine isn't jtag although i wish it was. im assuming its a video issue. is the only video chip in the center of the board or is there more than 1?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
E79 is a dashboard/bootup sequence error (xam.xex apparently)- why this happened in your case I am not even going to try and speculate about.

Without the CPU key you can not really fix anything as you can not edit the NAND (even then it is something of a longshot)- if it is JTAG hackable then maybe consider heading down that path although that might well end up being a bit of a nightmare still (head down the donor NAND path then).

If you can be bothered to do the hardware checks to see if you can JTAG the machine but otherwise yeah you have a spare case and drive.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i were to jtag it, not knowing what kernel its on, would i be able to still dump the NAND? from what i understand its just not exploitable, meaning no homebrew. anyone know if this is true?
can you identify this mobo? i think its a falcon, but im not sure, mfg october 2007

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The kernel check is just a simple check to save people wiring up the NAND dumping side of things to check properly.
NAND dumping by the way can be done at any time- the act of NAND dumping is done in hardware and only requires the 360 to be in standby mode (enough to keep the NAND powered but not in use). Indeed you can still dump the NAND for things like secdata.bin fixing at any time and if you have the CPU key region changing even on the current dashboards.

The power cable type and HDMI check is the easier way of determining what motherboard it is
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4 is a far better. Chances are for that date it is a v1 Falcon.

Not to get your hopes up but should it be the case it is exploitable then you can try to rebuild the NAND (or more likely use a donor NAND) as even if it is broken the JTAG hack should work early enough to get you into xell (thus gaining the cpu key and with it the change at fixing the system).

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is only one method of truely determining the motherboard revision, and that's by the SMC version. As it is, you clearly have an early Falcon motherboard which you can tell from the photo. On the underside of the motheboard, you'll likely find foam pads on the RAM.

You've seriously butchered those heatsinks though.

FAST6191 said:
if you have the CPU key region changing even on the current dashboards.

That's wrong, unless you've found a way to rehash type 2 Keyvaults.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My bad, I always thought it could be changed in a similar manner to the keyvault DVD stuff just if you had a CPU key you probably already had a JTAG machine so nobody really went in for it.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats cpu heatsink isnt stock
looks like it wouldn't fit so it was jammed in there messing up the other heatsink as well as the cpu one

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its stock the guy i got it from really banged it up. looks like he stuck a screw driver in there and bent it left and right. why? idk. but thanks for all the responses, i got all the stuff to dump the nand, but i forgot to see if i had a lpt port which i dont. so i guess its basically a spare parts machine.

oh well can't complain if it was free.

on a side note, anyone know why the magnetic spindle would stick and not allow the dvd drive to open? i didn't even know it used magnets to stay shut, but this drive will only open if the cover is off due to the magnet. when i had it apart you could hear it click as i pressed eject then lifted the top cover of the drive.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the dvd drive belt okay?

the heatsink seems to be from a jasper or falcon v2 model
what it is doing on a falcon v1, I have no idea, the stock one for that board looks totally different

I just finished up a job repairing a falcon v1 one from rrod and did the shroud mod

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it has capacitors that don't match with the falcons ive seen, they are silver with half red half silver tops, im talking about the ones to the right side near the little donut looking things.

i can't set up the dump though i don't have an lpt port. sucks balls.

the dvd drive opens fine without the top on, or the top slightly lifted. its the actual magnetic spindle thats keeping it shut.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
If you are willing to invest a tiny little bit of cash there are now cheap USB methods (before it was quite expensive).
http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=12306.0
You're slipping Fast, he'll still need an LPT port to program the USB flasher. The only advantage is you can use a PCI expansion card based Printer Port to program the USB Flasher. However, there is a program which can change the ports which NandPro uses, i've no idea it that will allow it use a PCI expansion card Printer Port.

QUOTE(VashTS @ Jan 22 2011, 06:36 AM) it has capacitors that don't match with the falcons ive seen, they are silver with half red half silver tops, im talking about the ones to the right side near the little donut looking things.
Quite normal. You can get motherboards with half blue half silver tops too. It's just where they source components from different manufacturers.

I have an old thread with a few MB photo's, and you can see it's normal http://gbatemp.net/t259392-2-xbox-360-jtag...de-2-jasper-pro

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn i got a heat gun to try to fix this sucker once and for all, but i went from one ring to 3 with a 0110, so i waited a bit reflowed again and get a 0003, which it seems like the 0003 means GPU death! damn i must have heated it too much. oh well can't complain i got it for free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it