OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
xboxlive020510.jpg

It's been no secret that original Xbox games have been the vestigial limb holding back much wanted features including raising the limit on our friends list to over 100 or mobile tie-ins, and on April 15 all that will come to an end. Even those Xbox Originals downloaded to the 360 or played via backwards compatibility will be cut off, so we'd suggest getting those last few rounds of Halo 2 in now or at least look into an alternative solution like XBConnect. Affected users should keep an eye on their inbox, Xbox Live GM Marc Whitten has promised "details and opportunities" to come for you as partners in this process -- we're figuring a coupon or two or an extended XBL subscription as the lights are turned out is the least they can do. For the rest of us already living in the future? The timing of this announcement mere days before the X10 event in San Francisco February 11 can't be coincidental, we should find out what comes next by then.
Source.

RetroVortex

Trophies
XP
Country
You know, it would be nice if Microsoft did a Sega and allowed their xbox fans to make their own servers for xbox live via an emulator or something.

But alas, Moneysoft wouldn't do anthing nice for their customers unless they profited from it.

(Its a shame, as I recently got a load of old xbox games that would've been cool to play online, (if I could find the players!! XD))

Fortunately a lot of old xbox games had local multiplayer, so its not so huge a deal.

But when the 360 servers close down, it will be a much bigger shame, as hardly any games these days have local multiplayer.

I mean, Left 4 Dead 2, is designed so that most of the game is online, without Live, you could only play offline campaign with the lame bots, and 2 player co-op.
For this game you can use LAN, but again, hardly any 360 games have LAN support neither.

This could leave a void.

(But Micr$soft will likely have backwards compatibility with the 360 on its next console, (but I reckon ol' xbox will not, (as its only software emulation)).

(Also anyone know how to cancel an old xbox live account, I made one in order to get Phantasy Star Online to work on my old xbox, (as it needs one to play it offline), and now I keep getting automated messages on my email saying their gonna charge me soon, (but the microsoft website doesn't see the card I used as a payment choice)
(Again its Microsofts fault on this part, as they didn't update their xbox emulator to support this game...))

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Read this earlier on another news site. I'm surprised Microsoft kept support for as long as they did. There can't be that many xbox users remaining who use live. So the costs of running and maintaining those servers may out weigh what they take in revenue.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
So... they're cutting off the Original Xbox's live or the backwards comparability in general?

I would assume it's just the Live aspect of the original xbox games. Not backwards compatibility totally. That's just a poor idea if that's the direction they're going lol.

They're making free monies off of the original Xbox games.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all online servers are being shut down for xbox 1 games, thats all
but there is a ton of people pissed

f3ar000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The simple soultion... buy games for your computer and you have dedicated servers
not to mention you don't need a XBL membership

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
all online servers are being shut down for xbox 1 games, thats all
but there is a ton of people pissed

They should even be lucky Microsoft didn,t pull the plug sooner.

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
ZeWarrior said:
Meh. Most XBL players play on 360 anyway, probably less than 1% right now play on the Xbox 1.

the article does mention that this will have an impact on all original xbox games, including those downloaded from the online shop thing..they are cancelling any support for xbox 1 online stuff through live as a whole.

MuppetInvasion

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
f3ar000 said:
The simple soultion... buy games for your computer and you have dedicated servers
not to mention you don't need a XBL membership

Go suck a penis.

The GIRLFRIEND CHANCE/GAMES ratio.
Likely:Wii
Normal:Xbox
Lower:PC
Lowest:PS3
wink.gif

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
8BitWalugi said:
So... they're cutting off the Original Xbox's live or the backwards comparability in general?

I would assume it's just the Live aspect of the original xbox games. Not backwards compatibility totally. That's just a poor idea if that's the direction they're going lol.

They're making free monies off of the original Xbox games.

I agree, I certainly hope the backwards compatibility will still be available. I know some die hard halo fans are going to be disappointed. These games will lose their appeal once online support is dropped. This is sad news. The problem is games from past generations get lost once the company haults support. It's like nintendo, some games can now be enjoyed thanks to VC but not all. I think about Goldeneye in particular.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Shit, what about the Xbox Originals Games on Demand? I bought Psychonauts and haven't downloaded it yet because of my internet cap. If all it's effecting is Original XBL, then I'm fine with that. How many people still play original XBL?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
Shit, what about the Xbox Originals Games on Demand? I bought Psychonauts and haven't downloaded it yet because of my internet cap. If all it's effecting is Original XBL, then I'm fine with that. How many people still play original XBL?

This is only for playing original Xbox games online. I'm pretty sure you can still download Xbox Originals and play them, just without online.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
how can microsoft do tht? i mean they have the money to maintain the servers unless the cost is greater than the profit which is even not too likely... its still a possibility tht the newer games are hogging the server resources

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bungie has to make a Halo compilation for Xbox 360. One that has compatibility with the "new" Xbox Live. One that has Halo 1 with Xbox Live.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Live anymore for xbox1 blah blah xbconnect and xlink kai are a just as good
and all the good games are system link so this is not a big factor......

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY