Xbox RRoD/Fans.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by MgARBITER, Jun 26, 2010.

Jun 26, 2010

Xbox RRoD/Fans. by MgARBITER at 7:54 PM (771 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. MgARBITER
    OP

Newcomer MgARBITER Advanced Member

United States
    Hey guys. My 360 ringed a while ago and i performed the x-clamp fix. Worked for about a week then said "screw you". I got it again. I was ticked. [​IMG] I did the extreme measure of overheating the GPU for 10 minutes. It semi-worked idk but, now one of the fans doesnt work. The one farthest from the cord doesnt work now! Whats up with that! I read about 12 volting the fans and im interested in that. But before i do does any one have any tips, hints, or alternate fixes. Keep in mind i al ready did the x-clamp fix. Also im strapped for cash. Cheap methods if possible. Thanks guys.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Can you test the fan still works ( http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/360-12V-fan-Mod.htm has a "pinout" and also doubles as the go to guide for this sort of thing*).

They suggest grabbing 12V from one of the motherboard connections, it works (it is on mine right now) but it helps to sand it or otherwise rough the surface to solder it onto.

I have seen this (single dead fan) a few times with 360s (although it is usually the GPU fan (the one nearest to the cord/on the left hand side if you have the DVD opening towards you) and to my knowledge nobody has really settled on a cause/fix for it so 12V fan mod is probably your best (only?) real option at this point.

3. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I hate to say it but the best thing you can do is buy a new 360, seems all the older models break. All the newer models have better hardware, (from what I read) so in the end the best thing to do it get the new slim.

4. MgARBITER
    OP

Newcomer MgARBITER Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks Fast. Im gonna do the 12 volt mod for both sides. I also noticed it would be wise to invest in the new heat pie heat-sync. Well. Here's hoping.