• Replies 66
D

Deleted User

OP
Source

Valve - XBOX Live is such a train wreck

screenshot_237393_thumb300.jpg

QUOTE said:
Speaking to our colleagues at PC Gamer in its recently-published interview, Newell said one of Valve's failures over the years was to assume that Microsoft would improve Xbox Live so it could update its games regularly for free.

When asked if its mistake on Xbox Live was to assume Microsoft would let Valve update its games more often, Newell said:

"We thought that there would be something that would emerge, because we figured it was a sort of untenable... Oh yeah, we understand that these are the rules now, but it's such a train wreck that something will have to change.

"That's why we're really happy with the current situation with the PS3," he said. "We're solving it now in a way that is going to work for our customers, rather than assuming something is going to emerge later that will allow us to fix this."

Microsoft has a notoriously closed approach to its online service compared to PSN, with developers allowed as little as one free title update (though there are exceptions) and limitations on the amount of free game content they can release.

In fact, in its recent paid-for Red Dead Redemption add-on Rockstar included all the free-of-charge content from its previous Free Roam pack, "due to the platform network's restrictions on numbers of free packs we can give away."

Valve told CVG last month that it'd love to put its Steamworks dev suite on Xbox Live, but Microsoft seemingly isn't budging.

Valve's Erik Johnson echoed Newell's comments: "The lack of updates on the 360, for TF2, is also a total failure," he said. "Those are the ones that sting the worst because... it got all the way through to customers. It's like a bug. If you fix a bug before it ever ships, it's pretty cheap. If you ship it and then fix it, it's really expensive. Those ones are really bad."

In particular It's a huge turnaround for Newell, a man who once called PS3 "a waste of everybody's time" - something for which he later apologised for to owners of the console.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's like Newell can never say anything without exaggerating a lot. Yes, the PS3 is hard to program for, but that doesn't mean it's a disaster and Sony should just start over. Yes, Sony has a better policy when it comes to free DLC and overall "openness" (Epic can confirm that as well), but that doesn't mean Xbox Live is anything near bad.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of bitching about stuff just get to work on Episode 3.

Fuck sake even Duke Nukem Forever is coming out this year, get your arses in gear.

D

Deleted User

OP
I still don't understand that 'one demo free' rule. Just another reason to get a Wii, Hii?

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
It's like Newell can never say anything without exaggerating a lot. Yes, the PS3 is hard to program for, but that doesn't mean it's a disaster and Sony should just start over. Yes, Sony has a better policy when it comes to free DLC and overall "openness" (Epic can confirm that as well), but that doesn't mean Xbox Live is anything near bad.

Xbox Live is crap end of discussion.
Microsoft = greedy bastards they give extremely little for free.

If the Game Developers want to release game content for free for the fans that have already bought there game(s) then they should be able to do whatever the hell they want with it, afterall it's THEIR content THEY made it not Microsoft.

The only reason Microsoft is so popular (and yet seemingly unpopular) is because they have enough money to throw around to decorate things that are utter crap with a coating of prettiness.

iGotTheSmores

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox Live isn't all that bad, just Microsoft being greedy.
Whats sad is that with no updates on TF2 and the like, people still enjoy playing it on XBL.
Steam < XBL in my opinion.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
DarkWay said:
If the Game Developers want to release game content for free for the fans that have already bought there game(s) then they should be able to do whatever the hell they want with it, afterall it's THEIR content THEY made it not Microsoft.
If Microsoft wants to charge anyone for using their network, they should be able to charge anyone; it's THEIR network.
QUOTE(DarkWay @ Sep 9 2010, 06:55 PM) The only reason Microsoft is so popular (and yet seemingly unpopular) is because they have enough money to throw around to decorate things that are utter crap with a coating of prettiness.
Sounds like Apple to me
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
Riighhtt..... NO Microsoft hating here, please.

Steamroll right on.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
While I use Xbox Live more than Steam (I would use Steam more, but my computer overheats quickly when playing games), I know Microsoft does just want money (Even though companies are made to bring in money, Microsoft is just way over the top with it), no matter what it's for.

IIRC, Infinity Ward had problems patching MW2 because it was taking a long time to go through with Microsoft. That, and IW just plain sucks. From what I see here, developers have to pay to get patches through to anyone that has the game. It kind of sucks, because games like MW2, which had a shitload of bugs, glitches, exploits, etc. needed updated constantly because IW had to keep putting out so many patches. I'm sure they were struck hard cost-wise.

Also, I know there's DLC that's free on other platforms, like the L4D1 & 2 stuff being free on Steam (Kind of ironic, seeing as Valve made L4D1 & 2, and they also created Steam...You figure they would charge a lot), and it should be free on Xbox as well. I know there's other DLC items as that cost money on Xbox Live, and are free on other platforms, but those came to my mind because this news articles revolves around Valve.

iGotTheSmores

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
While I use Xbox Live more than Steam (I would use Steam more, but my computer overheats quickly when playing games), I know Microsoft does just want money (Even though companies are made to bring in money, Microsoft is just way over the top with it), no matter what it's for.

IIRC, Infinity Ward had problems patching MW2 because it was taking a long time to go through with Microsoft. That, and IW just plain sucks. From what I see here, developers have to pay to get patches through to anyone that has the game. It kind of sucks, because games like MW2, which had a shitload of bugs, glitches, exploits, etc. needed updated constantly because IW had to keep putting out so many patches. I'm sure they were struck hard cost-wise.

Also, I know there's DLC that's free on other platforms, like the L4D1 & 2 stuff being free on Steam (Kind of ironic, seeing as Valve made L4D1 & 2, and they also created Steam...You figure they would charge a lot), and it should be free on Xbox as well. I know there's other DLC items as that cost money on Xbox Live, and are free on other platforms, but those came to my mind because this news articles revolves around Valve.
I think if IW was able to push out patches constantly that MW2 wouldn't have been so bad.

Anyways, Valve has always been great at supporting their games. Look at CS and TF2, they are constantly patching and updating them. For free that is. I would rather play most my games on Steam because you get those updates/patches quicker, Like TF2. Its practically unplayable on the 360 because of the bugs. I also prefer PC because dedicated servers, but thats another topic.

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much do you pay for a decent gaming computer, and How much do you pay for an Xbox 360. eoc. >_>

Edit: aslo no one wants Kinect, its a fucking stupid idea.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Xbox 360 in general is a real train wreck at the moment.
They release a redesigned system that doesn't really address much, and are going to release the Kinect, a not so effective eye-toy imitation with motion sensing. Almost none of the software looks to be innovative at all, it's just one wii imitation after another mostly. Even the PS3 move is more daring and creative.
They have bad policies that restrict developers on Xbox live whilst they increase the subscription fee, and then charge out the ass for all of the necessary peripherals to maximise the live experience.
Once you've paid for all that, you end up paying for much than you would with the playstation.
Finally, the 360 is lacking in exclusives now, they're mostly fratboy FPS games now, Halo Reach and Call of Duty Black ops with earlier DLC.

I have a 360, which I enjoy now and then, but I only have it because I drank an assload of coke and cashed in the points at cokezone.co.uk. In the end, if given the choice between 360 and PS3...PS3 pretty much comes out up top now.

Edit: www.yaybuttons.com gets my point.

iGotTheSmores

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
They release a redesigned system that doesn't really address much, and are going to release the Kinect, a not so effective eye-toy imitation with motion sensing. Almost none of the software looks to be innovative at all, it's just one wii imitation after another mostly. Even the PS3 move is more daring and creative.
They have bad policies that restrict developers on Xbox live whilst they increase the subscription fee, and then charge out the ass for all of the necessary peripherals to maximise the live experience.
Once you've paid for all that, you end up paying for much than you would with the playstation.
Finally, the 360 is lacking in exclusives now, they're mostly fratboy FPS games now, Halo Reach and Call of Duty Black ops with earlier DLC.

I have a 360, which I enjoy now and then, but I only have it because I drank an assload of coke and cashed in the points at cokezone.co.uk. In the end, if given the choice between 360 and PS3...PS3 pretty much comes out up top now.

I would have to agree with you that the 360 itself is a train wreck.
Only problem I have with XBL is the updating/patching games and that they are gonna keep bumping up the price for BS features I am not going to use like Facebook, Last.fm, ans ESPN.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
The PC is Valve's territory....that they don't like consoles is not even remotely surprising, lol. I certainly agree that Microsoft is going downhill with their gaming console though.
I'm pretty tempted to get a PS3 in the future, though only because I'm not seeing any silver linings so far with the 360's future and am tired of paying for useless shit that I don't want. (And since Steam is coming to PS3, it might actually have some games that I want.
tongue.gif
)

mehrab2603

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RupeeClock said:

agreed

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
Also, I know there's DLC that's free on other platforms, like the L4D1 & 2 stuff being free on Steam (Kind of ironic, seeing as Valve made L4D1 & 2, and they also created Steam...You figure they would charge a lot), and it should be free on Xbox as well. I know there's other DLC items as that cost money on Xbox Live, and are free on other platforms, but those came to my mind because this news articles revolves around Valve.It's not ironic at all, Valve has always updated their products for $0, every single bit that they add to it is free, and they can make any updates at any time they want because they own steam, and no one can interfere with their great support. As pointed out, microsoft =
see_money_emoticon.gif

QUOTE(Advice Fox @ Sep 9 2010, 04:57 PM) (And since Steam is coming to PS3, it might actually have some games that I want.
tongue.gif
)
go burn in a fire
I kid

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I am really looking forward to for the 360 is Gears 3, and if 2 Worlds II is an exclusive, then that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol