Xbox Hotswap IDE HD not detected

LizardGenes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got an old Xbox that can't read discs anymore, so I want to turn it into an emulation device using the hotswap method. I've attempted to connect the Xbox to the motherboard of an old PC running XP via an IDE cable. The Xbox HD doesn't show up in Xplorer360 nor in disk management. I'm using a master-slave IDE, with the Xbox hard drive connected to the master port. Could the dual IDE interface be the source of my problem? Or would I have better luck with an IDE to USB cable? Thanks in advance!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DOS booting (possibly even from USB) and CHIMP/xboxhdm I think it was tended to be the suggested method, though some do seem to be shifting to xplorer360 (where it was more of an afterthought).

Master/slave ports? Odd way for such things to work. Most things are selected on the cable, though serving two masters could be a thing. If you have another port then go that, and if not consider the USB thing (you can get a floppy disc to jump boot if the old machine does not support USB booting). Most tended to advocate removing all other drives just to spare you accidentally locking your main hard drive.

USB-IDE will likely not work at all; I don't know of any such things (certainly don't have a list of this model/... like we have for any number of other things in modding world) that implement the the locking feature of the IDE spec and locking is the whole reason for the aggravation here.

Though frankly user error is the usual cause of this if you don't swap at the right time as the window is not the most and why you are usually told to half pull the cable in most guides.

LizardGenes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for the response. As I understand it, unplugging the Xbox DVD drive to get error 12 on boot removes the need for a timed swap as the HD is unlocked and idle in this state. But can you link me to the guides other than the Xplorer360 one (and don't use the Splinter Cell/Agent Under Fire exploit) that you mentioned?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anything that can write useful data to the drive will not need the game based exploits. They tend to be picked/noted in guides even with hotswap because it is easier and installers for them were kept updated rather than have people fiddle with potentially old files or having to do shadow C and virtual EEPROM from scratch (both are optional, even if highly suggested for softmods).

Have not read up on the error 12 things to know either way on that one, indeed it is new to me here (is it new in general?). Everything I otherwise knew though says timing during boot was the main way to go.

Afraid my usual sources of guides are long gone here so don't know what we are linking, and anything I softmod still uses a memory card I have had for years and splinter cell.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: I couldn't really get into moon it's too different for my likes