XBox Bios Info

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by Prior22, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Occasionally when using DVD2Xbox to copy games to the internal hard drive the games won't load (the evolution x screen will pop up and will remain stuck there). I was curious if updating my BIOS would help in terms of improved compatibility. My BIOS version is (256)retail 5838.01. My kernal version is 1.00.5838.01. And my Xbox hardware info is 00000640 D3 D5. Also I'm using evolution x version 3935.

Are any of these aspects of the xbox out of date to the point where game compatibility might suffer? And if so is it possible to burn whatever info is needed to a DVD and copy that way (as opposed to via FTP).

PS: I'm also interested in updating the amount of game trainers I have. Is it possible to burn game trainers to a DVD and install that way.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Sorry to necrobump.

No, you can't update the Xbox BIOS.
    Also, switch to UnleashX.
    A far superior dashboard imho.

I'd still stick with FTP, it's useless to waste DVDs on burning data to it and then copying it to the harddisk.
    Yes, it's possible to do that, but it's a waste of DVD's

3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I don't know about softmods, but you can update the BIOS if you're using a modchip. That is the modchip's BIOS, I mean. But I don't know what the version you need/want is.

I think mine is even lower than yours, but I never had problems with anything on the one I have. I did have to update to that one, I used to have a lower one, so maybe I just never played any of the games you can't play. Or I'm wrong about my kernal. But I think I'm on 4xxx something (unless maybe that's my evox version). My Xbox isn't handy at the moment, so I can't even check.

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Xbox has it's kernel stored in the TSOP.
    You cannot update it and games usually patch the kernel if it's a really low version number (due to a FATX bug)

X2_5035 is the best bios for 1.0/1.1 xboxes (with chips/TSOP flashes)
    I think the same bios is also available for 1.2-1.5 ones..

But if your softmod is working fine and you got an upgraded HDD, then I see no need to flash the TSOP.
    Unless you want to go for running unlocked HDD's and being able to remove the DVD/boot from DVD drive..