"Xbox 720" about to begin into Development?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nebz, Mar 9, 2011.

Mar 9, 2011
  1. Nebz
    OP

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxtpx288FuY[/youtube]​

It seems Microsoft may be starting development on its next Xbox console.

Recent job postings on networking website LinkedIn, first discovered by Beyond3D, reveal the company is hiring positions to work on next-generation console architectures in its Xbox division.

A Graphics Architect position for Xbox hardware calls for someone to lead a team responsible for "defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation."

Additionally, an open Senior Engineer position seeks someone for "development and verification of the Xbox and future platforms," while a third posting for a Senior Performance Architect will be involved in "product definition from early evaluation all the way through high volume manufacturing."

Microsoft began work on the current Xbox 360 architecture back in 2003 with the console releasing in 2005. If the two-year development cycle continues, and if these job postings prove to be accurate, the earliest we'll see Microsoft's next console will be 2012 or 2013. [/p]

[​IMG] Source
    Credits to IGN and NextGenTactics

Your thoughts?

2. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Expected. Hopefully they'll actually put some time and effort into fixing all the problems that were apparent in the 360.

3. darkreaperofdrea

Member darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    bullshit,too soon to release the console considering Kinect barely came out
    besides,Microsoft themselves said they'd give the console 5 more Years because of Kinect...so yeah
    i call bullshit

4. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Eh, the Xbox 360 could easily last a few more years, at least until Sony starts the PS4.

5. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    Somewhere in Iwata Asks, I'm pretty sure they said they start working on the successor of the current console as soon as they release the current one. So they're already working on a Wii successor, even if it won't come out anytime soon.

6. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    And I'm also sure Iwata had said they wouldn't make a wii successor as long as designers come up with an original idea. (as in motion control on wii, 3d on 3ds)

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Not the developing or anything. But just planning, like what they should do, what they want to do, what can they do. Basically a bunch of doodles on a stickynote.

8. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I dunno. Even then, I think they could survive. Mainstream gamers go gaga for the Xbox.

9. darkreaperofdrea

Mexico
    i didn't go gaga for Xbox :c
    but i fucking love it,so much i haven't touched my wii since then

10. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    "XBOX 720: Now Hiring!"

That's a pretty folksy way to introduce a new system for such a large company. [​IMG] I can just imagine them taping that to a telephone pole. [​IMG]

11. machomuu

United States
    I don't think you classify as a mainstream gamer. Do you only play Call of Duty and Halo online and hate Nintendo, retro games and JRPGs?

12. Nebz
    OP

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    IMO, I see this happening. They have to start at some point and there's no harm in getting concepts done now, right?
    Even with Kinect out at the moment and their supposed plan to keep it around for 5 years there's no telling what may change in plans from here and to then.

Being an owner of the 360 I don't think I see myself buying this and paying for more subscriptions to Live when all I play is "Blops", Modern Warfare 2, and Netflix (assuming Live will still work the same way). v_v

I was one who made a poor choice to follow my friends and hardly ever playing with them... Man oh man the PSN looks good to me now!

13. B3astinSnipes

Member B3astinSnipes GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wouldnt mind a new console.but if we dont get one its not a problem.the only thing im concerned about are the games.truthfully i havent played my xbox or ps3 for a good amount of time since october and before that probably like june.the past like 2 years just havent caught my attention with the games,i dont mean some of the game were bad cuz of course COD and Halo arent but i just havent had the fun i used to anymore.i dont know if its cuz im getting older but thats just the way i feel.

14. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I love the 360, I play COD and Halo, but I love Nintendo and retro games. JRPGs are OK. Turn based ones are a borefest (with the exception of CT and FF6).

15. machomuu

United States
    Surely they can survive for a few more years even with the PS4.

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "about to begin"

If the development (even if they just kept a couple of engineers and others as a think tank / futurist type project) did not start years ago I would say MS dropped the ball in a huge way (as in brace for a "sell sell sell" call)- I see forecasts up to around the decade mark at minimum for graphics technologies, chip technologies and a myriad of other useful fields to the would be console manufacturer.

17. darkreaperofdrea

Mexico
    i don't love nor hate anything,just think something too overrated is something not deserved to be played
    or that i'm too old to live in the NES era(i love retro games,but we're in a new gen,and there's no turning back,new generations,new consoles,new ways of gaming,or at least i like to see it like that)

18. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    What's the problem? Consoles usually get five successful years before the next one comes anyway.

NES: 1986-1991

SNES: 1991-1996

N64: 1996-2001

Gamecube: 2001-2006

Wii: 2006-?

Xbox 1: 2001-2006

360: 2006(well, ALMOST 2006)-?

That's BS saying any current-gen console won't be suceeded until 2013.

19. darkreaperofdrea

Mexico
    and why didn't you count PSX or PS2?
    PS2 has been in the market over 10 years now...and if my memory doesn't fail to respond i remember publishers making still games for it last year

20. machomuu

United States
    I think he was trying to make a point about the Xbox's life and because Nintendo has so many past generation systems it was the best example.