Xbox 360 Question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by iTouchbabies, Apr 30, 2011.

Apr 30, 2011

Xbox 360 Question by iTouchbabies at 2:38 AM (1,445 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. iTouchbabies
    OP

Newcomer iTouchbabies Member

Canada
    I'm going to be a future owner of an Xbox 360 Slim 4gb in a few days. I have a few questions before I get it though, what causes RRoD, should I get a cooler fan? Does a cooler fan help avoid RROD? If not, how DO I avoid RROD? I heard that you can't play certain game modes in Halo Reach with only a 4gb hard drive if I can't, I can upgrade my hard drive, that's not a problem, I was going to get a Xbox 360 250GB Internal Hard Drive. Will this work in the Xbox 360 4gb Slim? ALSO, do regular Xbox controllers work in Xbox 360? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

~~~ Love Meena

2. Gagarin

Member Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ok. First of all, new xboxes (slim) don't rrod at all. Initial versions of xboxes had the quality issues, but even recent regular version of non slim had that problem eliminated.

If you want to extend your hdd for xbox, just buy regular 2,5 hdd and install it. It is easy, youtube has bunch of tutorials.

Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask more questions.

3. iTouchbabies
    OP

Newcomer iTouchbabies Member

Canada
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the quick reply and for welcoming me to the community =)

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    1) RROD is caused by the system GPU and CPU heating up way more then they should
    over time the constant heating and cooling causes cracks in the solder bridges under the chips (mainly it was the GPU), there was only 1 temperature sensor and it was located on the CPU and the GPU got way hotter then the CPU but would never trigger the sensor
    the 360 slim now has a combined GPU and CPU chip which has a 45nm fabrication
    this allows it to use less energy and produce less heat
    it is possible that RROD can still occur but its very unlikely, a fan isnt really needed now

2) yes, you can slip in an authorized 360 hard drive into the 360 4GB slim, if you want to use third party hard drives, it only works with a few of them
    http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-g...x-360-slim.html

3) regular xbox 1 controllers will not work with any version of the 360

5. grimkiller

Newcomer grimkiller Newbie

United Kingdom
    deleted wrong answer to wrong post lol