Xbox 360 possibilities

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Westside, Mar 16, 2008.

Mar 16, 2008

Xbox 360 possibilities by Westside at 3:51 PM (1,845 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Now it's been quiet a while since the 360 came out. With all it's all mighty glorious power I was still wonder why NO ONE decided to build a public emulator for the thing? We got the mod chips, we can hack it, what are we missing? The SDK? I am also wondering if there is a possibility that we can install Windows XP on it, making it able to play PC games. Now as far fetched as it may seem, I think if you can actually do it, this may just become the ultimate media system. The possibilities are endless. The original Xbox had TONS of emulators, even PSX emulator.

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    We can't hack it. We have a firmware mod that lets you play copied games and that's it. No unsigned code , so no homebrew , so no emulators or anything like that. The mods that are out are just drive chips that just do the exact same thing as the firmware , except they cost money and are crap.

Most you can do apart from games is boot linux , but that requires a old exploitable kernal on your box and a few other things.

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I would just stick to the original xbox until the Wii comes into its own.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    The only unsigned code you could run was on Dashboard 1888. 4532 and another one I don't remember now... [​IMG] It was using an exploit in Peter Jackson's King Kong, that was fixed with an update.

Current dashboards are pretty tight locked. If you want some homebrew, you have to downgrade by time-attack the motherboard, and that's not an easy task [​IMG]

So... until something BIG is discovered, no homebrew. And probably that won't change in the near future :/

Yeah, Wii has a lot more homebrew possibilities. We just have to wait for full Wii support in the DevKit... and then we'll see lots of homebrew (hopefully) [​IMG]

5. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I see. Well I thought because of the architecture of 360, running things like Windows XP would be ok. I can only dream.

6. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    why would you want windows XP?

7. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    PC games.

8. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    XP on the 360 would never work, even if the system was open. And it REALLY wouldn't work if you tried hardware acceleration for PC games.

9. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Doesn't the 360 use OPENGL or DirectX of some sort? Is it not possible to develope a driver for the ATI GPU that it has?

10. raulpica

Italy
    It should use a custom version of DX10.

Yeah, but that would work if WinXP would be installed with compatible drivers that barely makes it work... [​IMG]

Probably it wouldn't recognize any hardware and it wouldn't even install.

EDIT: I believe that my English just failed somewhere. I hope it's still understandable [​IMG]

11. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I was kind of thinking about how the MAC was able to run XP on the system with all it's Hardware restrictions.

12. raulpica

Italy
    Because Boot Camp gives WinXP everything it needs to run [​IMG]

13. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    1. Only the new Apple computers can run XP, because they're based on the Intel CPUs (x86 structure). Both old Macs (Xbox 360 as well) are based on the PowerPC structure and therefore completely incompatible with Windows. Even running Mac OS X is more viable than XP. The most realistic choice is Linux, though.

2. Just about everything on 360 is encrypted -- CPU, GPU, the optical drive, RAM, firmware -- you name it. Microsoft made a damn good job protecting it console - probably to combat piracy and to keep Live! safe from cheating and hacking. Even when an exploit is found, it's patched up instantly and the firmware basically twist the gamers' arm - without the updates, you can't play the latest games and can't be connected to Live!. And if you truly want to run your own code, they offer you the 'developer license' (A.K.A. XNA Creator's Club), which allows you to use your own applications and games for a year. They of course charge you aplenty (99€ in Europe).

3. If you want to hack, get a Wii -- I willing to bet that homebrew will develop quite a bit on it (like on the original XBOX and DreamCast).

4. This isn't a trolling thread, is it?

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The 360 doesn't have an Intel processor like the original Xbox did, but instead has its own (IBM?) chip, which I'm willing to bet XP wont run on because the architecture is too different.

15. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    It's actually a PowerPC based chip named Xenon (Not the intel Xenon). It's optimized for what it's supposed to be used for, and emphisizes on Floating point performance. Its architecture is not like the x86 and therefore linux would be better off. However, I would still like to see linux... [​IMG]

16. Linkiboy

United States
    IBM makes PPC

17. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    You said AMD before. By the time I finished typing, the quote changed. Last time I checked, PPC is not made by AMD.

18. Linkiboy

United States
    Yeah I revised that literally 20 seconds later after realizing my mistake.