Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Now it's been quiet a while since the 360 came out. With all it's all mighty glorious power I was still wonder why NO ONE decided to build a public emulator for the thing? We got the mod chips, we can hack it, what are we missing? The SDK? I am also wondering if there is a possibility that we can install Windows XP on it, making it able to play PC games. Now as far fetched as it may seem, I think if you can actually do it, this may just become the ultimate media system. The possibilities are endless. The original Xbox had TONS of emulators, even PSX emulator.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We can't hack it. We have a firmware mod that lets you play copied games and that's it. No unsigned code , so no homebrew , so no emulators or anything like that. The mods that are out are just drive chips that just do the exact same thing as the firmware , except they cost money and are crap.

Most you can do apart from games is boot linux , but that requires a old exploitable kernal on your box and a few other things.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only unsigned code you could run was on Dashboard 1888. 4532 and another one I don't remember now...
tongue.gif
It was using an exploit in Peter Jackson's King Kong, that was fixed with an update.

Current dashboards are pretty tight locked. If you want some homebrew, you have to downgrade by time-attack the motherboard, and that's not an easy task
wink.gif

So... until something BIG is discovered, no homebrew. And probably that won't change in the near future :/

Yeah, Wii has a lot more homebrew possibilities. We just have to wait for full Wii support in the DevKit... and then we'll see lots of homebrew (hopefully)
wink.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
offtopic84 said:
Westside said:
Volkov said:
why would you want windows XP?
PC games.

XP on the 360 would never work, even if the system was open. And it REALLY wouldn't work if you tried hardware acceleration for PC games.
Doesn't the 360 use OPENGL or DirectX of some sort? Is it not possible to develope a driver for the ATI GPU that it has?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Westside said:
offtopic84 said:
Westside said:
Volkov said:
why would you want windows XP?
PC games.

XP on the 360 would never work, even if the system was open. And it REALLY wouldn't work if you tried hardware acceleration for PC games.
Doesn't the 360 use OPENGL or DirectX of some sort? Is it not possible to develope a driver for the ATI GPU that it has?
It should use a custom version of DX10.

Yeah, but that would work if WinXP would be installed with compatible drivers that barely makes it work...
tongue.gif

Probably it wouldn't recognize any hardware and it wouldn't even install.

EDIT: I believe that my English just failed somewhere. I hope it's still understandable
laugh.gif

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
1. Only the new Apple computers can run XP, because they're based on the Intel CPUs (x86 structure). Both old Macs (Xbox 360 as well) are based on the PowerPC structure and therefore completely incompatible with Windows. Even running Mac OS X is more viable than XP. The most realistic choice is Linux, though.

2. Just about everything on 360 is encrypted -- CPU, GPU, the optical drive, RAM, firmware -- you name it. Microsoft made a damn good job protecting it console - probably to combat piracy and to keep Live! safe from cheating and hacking. Even when an exploit is found, it's patched up instantly and the firmware basically twist the gamers' arm - without the updates, you can't play the latest games and can't be connected to Live!. And if you truly want to run your own code, they offer you the 'developer license' (A.K.A. XNA Creator's Club), which allows you to use your own applications and games for a year. They of course charge you aplenty (99€ in Europe).

3. If you want to hack, get a Wii -- I willing to bet that homebrew will develop quite a bit on it (like on the original XBOX and DreamCast).

4. This isn't a trolling thread, is it?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 360 doesn't have an Intel processor like the original Xbox did, but instead has its own (IBM?) chip, which I'm willing to bet XP wont run on because the architecture is too different.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Linkiboy said:
The 360 doesn't have an Intel processor like the original Xbox did, but instead has its own (IBM?) chip, which I'm willing to bet XP wont run on because the architecture is too different.
It's actually a PowerPC based chip named Xenon (Not the intel Xenon). It's optimized for what it's supposed to be used for, and emphisizes on Floating point performance. Its architecture is not like the x86 and therefore linux would be better off. However, I would still like to see linux...
frown.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
Linkiboy said:
It's actually a PowerPC based chip named Xenon (Not the intel Xenon). It's optimized for what it's supposed to be used for, and emphisizes on Floating point performance. Its architecture is not like the x86 and therefore linux would be better off. However, I would still like to see linux...
frown.gif
IBM makes PPC

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Linkiboy said:
Westside said:
Linkiboy said:
frown.gif
IBM makes PPC
You said AMD before. By the time I finished typing, the quote changed. Last time I checked, PPC is not made by AMD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.