Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Videogamechart.JPG

WinInfo said:
According to a study of over 5,000 video game players, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console experiences severe hardware failures almost 55 percent of the time, far more than competing consoles from Nintendo and Sony. Even more alarming, of the Xbox 360 consoles that are repaired by Microsoft and returned to their owners, over 41 percent experience another severe hardware failure requiring yet another repair.

The study, which was performed by Game Informer magazine, reveals an astonishing 54.2 percent failure rate for Microsoft's bug-plagued console, which was at the center of a $1.1 billion warranty recall last year. The Nintendo Wii, with a 6.8 percent failure rate, and the Sony PlayStation 3, at 10.6 percent, are demonstrably more reliable.

Of course, as most Xbox 360 owners would attest, the Game Informer survey results are immediately suspicious. After all, it seems like virtually every single Xbox 360 console has failed at some point.

Surprisingly, bad experiences with Xbox 360 reliability have not had an effect on their beleaguered owners: Only 3.8 percent of Xbox 360 users said they'd never buy another Microsoft console because of these issues. And 36.4 percent of failed Xbox 360 owners actually purchased a second Xbox 360. (Perhaps as a backup.)

As with its loyal users, Microsoft stands behind its console. Way, way behind, apparently, seeing as respondents also rated the software giant's support system as being far worse than that of the competitors. Only 37.7 percent found Microsoft's customer service "very helpful." And while Microsoft often takes as long as a month to return a busted Xbox 360 console, Nintendo and Sony usually turn around failed consoles in one to two weeks.

"Microsoft stands behind the Xbox 360 as a superior entertainment console with one of the best warranties in the industry," a Microsoft spokesperson noted in a response to this damning survey. "We are constantly improving the design, manufacture and performance of the console through extensive testing of potential sources of any problems. Xbox 360 is pleased to maintain the title of 'most played console' and the vast majority of Xbox 360 customers have enjoyed a terrific gaming and entertainment experience since their first day, and continue to, day in and day out."

In addition to being the "most played console," however, the Xbox 360 is also apparently the "most often repaired console" and the "most often repaired for a second time" console. Perhaps the heavy usage is contributing to the issues. According to an unrelated survey of video game players, Xbox 360 users actively play on the console about five times as often as do Wii owners.

You know why the Xbox 360 is the most console failure today (54.2 percent)? Because of the Red Ring of Death, so the Xbox 360 will 'kill' the motherboard of itself due to overheating. So go buy the Wii or PlayStation 3! If you have an Xbox 360, play it for 2 hours.

I know this is the old news (about 4 days ago) but this topic is posted at GBAtemp for Xbox 360 users that the news is the most console failure today.

Source: WinInfo, part of Windows IT Pro

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you bought it off a reputable dealer (like Best Buy, etc), I'm pretty sure you can send it in for a new one without any charge. I also think Microsoft lets you send in your 360 and they'll repair it for free. You can also buy fans and other accessories to prevent it. You're only screwed if you're stupid enough to try and fix it yourself and crack open your 360 like a walnut or if you're dumb enough to install a modchip before seeing it gets a Red Ring.

There's probably more bricked Wiis out there than Red Ring'd 360s, if that's any comfort to 360 owners.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
antonkan said:
You know why the Xbox 360 is the most console failure today (54.2 percent)? Because of the Red Ring of Death, so the Xbox 360 will 'kill' the motherboard of itself due to overheating.
It's not overheating, it's bad motherboard design. And when I say bad, I mean BAD. Also bad quality solder. It almost seems they know about it and won't volountarily do a thing to prevent it.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Aug 24 2009, 09:53 PM) Well, if you bought it off a reputable dealer (like Best Buy, etc), I'm pretty sure you can send it in for a new one without any charge. I also think Microsoft lets you send in your 360 and they'll repair it for free. You can also buy fans and other accessories to prevent it. You're only screwed if you're stupid enough to try and fix it yourself and crack open your 360 like a walnut or if you're dumb enough to install a modchip before seeing it gets a Red Ring.

There's probably more bricked Wiis out there than Red Ring'd 360s, if that's any comfort to 360 owners.
Fans serve nothing, they're just made to sell because people think they work. About fixing them yourself, I've repaired a lot of 360s, and they're up and working
smile.gif

Mine was a RROD'd one and now has almost 2 years. And before that was used, so it already had 2 years on it. I guess I do a better job than MS at repairing 360s
nyanya.gif

And by the way, modchips for the 360 are outdated nowadays thanks to drive flashing. If I'm correct, they aren't even produced anymore.

Emuboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
54% Not bad? that's horrible it's like when you buy a 360 there is 54% chance of it malfunctioning. thats more than half!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xbox360s have a history of poor hardware, lack of parts, and poor assembly techniques.

-overheating leading to fire (lack of fans in launch 360s)
-laser errors (It happened a lot with the 2nd batch of 360s)
-RROD (the cause of most breakdowns)
-The bricking update (can happen to any 360)

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
Xbox360s have a history of poor hardware, lack of parts, and poor assembly techniques.

-overheating leading to fire (lack of fans in launch 360s)
-laser errors (It happened a lot with the 2nd batch of 360s)
-RROD (the cause of most breakdowns)
-The bricking update (can happen to any 360)

Sure, Hop2089, the Xbox 360 is the most console failure today (54.2 percent) because of the bad Xbox 360 hardware, and the bad motherboard. Console failure rate for Wii is 6.8 percent while PS3 is 10.6 percent.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well. once someone makes a screened documentary about the RRoD on tv. microsoft will get a big bomb in their economical state of matter (probably not most likely)
i have a xbox360 but had no big problems so far

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i find this statistic hardly believable. why would the watchdog allow microsoft to even market it a product where half of them are faulty. 33.3% was believable. its simply not fair use, even with warranty & returns.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got my system at launch and its still doing great.

*Pats the system gently.*

*Turns it on to play Batman, Lights go red*

*Cries*

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive had one of my 360's for about 1 year now...no hick ups.

Cousin has had his for almost 2 years...still doing fine.

This RROD stuff is completely random i tell you!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We actually got a cheap one off a guy who needed a quick buck, then when it got home we tested a few dvds on it worked fine. Then when we borrowed a few 360 games they wouldn't play at all, even though they played just fine on my friend's 360. When I called microsoft to find out if it was still under warranty (which it was) I found out it would have cost me about 50$ less than a brand new 360 to send it in and have it fixed, and I said "No way am I paying to fix it when I have it under warranty!"

The 360 is a Win Win for games, but hardware failures, and poor customer service make me feel like buying a PS3 Slim when they come out
mad.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably not the most acurate (due to many unknowns like fanboys just voting for other systems to increase their failure rate in this poll) but anyway I could believe the 360
the other 2 seem too much then whats really true, the 360 I would probably estimate around 60 something %

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well a few things wrong with this poll:

5000 respondents is not enough at all and does not give a good general image

How is this news? I'm expecting that failure rate is more like 100% than 55% (after enough use, anyway)

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
antonkan said:
Sure, Hop2089, the Xbox 360 is the most console failure today (54.2 percent) because of the bad Xbox 360 hardware, and the bad motherboard. Console failure rate for Wii is 6.8 percent while PS3 is 10.6 percent.

No way is the 360's failure rate as low as 55%, everyone I know with a 360 apart from one person has had their 360 die on them. I would say the rate is easily over 70%.

And the figures for the PS3 and Wii fail rates you quoted are way too high, no way are they over a couple of percent. Just goes to show what a load of garbage these statistics are.

BAHIM Z 360

B-but I'm not a new member :(
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Maz7006 said:
ive had one of my 360's for about 1 year now...no hick ups.

Cousin has had his for almost 2 years...still doing fine.

This RROD stuff is completely random i tell you!

same here!! my bro bought one before two years and its workin fine!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1