Xbox 360 controller with play and charge cable

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dudenator, Aug 6, 2010.

1. dudenator
    OP

Member dudenator King of the Carts

Canada
    I wanted to know if I could use my Xbox 360 controller with the play and charge kit plugged into the usb port on my laptop to play games. I tried to use xpadder to do this but it didn't recognize the controller. I am running Windows 7 x64.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The wireless 360 controller uses a custom wireless module and the USB cable to charge the packs is quite literally just a power cable with a fancy end- no data is transferred.
    All is not lost though as http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardw...orWindows.aspx/ exists.

I also read datel reverse engineered the format as well (there is a new controller doing the rounds). Given the receiver clocks about the price of a pizza I am not sure if there will be any third party ones though.

3. dudenator
    OP

Member dudenator King of the Carts

Canada
    Alright, thanks for the info. I'm going to go to futureshop tomorrow and see if they have any.

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You can also get an official microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, if you don't want to deal with wireless and batteries. As you're running Windows 7, it's a simple matter of plugging it in and it'll be auto detected.

5. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i would suggest this, if its on your comp anyway wired controller would be much more convenient as you would probably be the only one on your laptop playing, and probably wouldn't cost too much more, i have the wireless adapter and its sortof a hassle alot of the time

6. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Go for the wired controller. Microsoft stopped producing the Windows wireless adapter, most of what you see on sale are HK fakes or refurbished. I had to hunt for my wireless adapter, although it does work well.