Not open for further replies.

NathanM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am interested in cloning my wii game discs for backup. Would a wii run a 1 to 1 clone onto a DVD? Also what speed would I need to burn it at to prevent the game from running slow or my wii from wearing out?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shorter version. Ignore disc based methods and go for USB.

This gets to be odd. The earlier models of wii had chips added at various points that made it run copied discs. These ran at 6x DVD speed (the 360 is 12X unless you hacked it not to be, USB is north of that under normal conditions and going on about 20x at theoretical best).

Some earlier softmods and a few of the "cable chips" ran at 3x DVD speed but the softmod loaders made lots of effort to mask this difference, they did pretty well too.

The 3x speed command that was used was removed from newer DVD models which shipped with newer wiis, I also think people basically gave up on chipping the Wii.

Other cable chips that actually emulated the DVD drive (and read a USB instead) loaded it at 6x I believe and maybe even higher, certainly with the added bonus of lower seek times.

You need a chip or softmod with softmod capable DVD drive to run copied discs. If you made a 1:1 clone I guess it would work but you can not make a 1:1 clone without serious toys (as in DVD press, only Datel ever really did that). Burn speed has been something of a non thing since we all got DVD burners with buffer underrun protection (not sure when that happened but some point in the PS1 era would be a good bet there). If you use good media and do not have a crazy fragmented or active drive when burning it really should not matter. The only reasons to slow down are for a dodgy DVD burner, bad discs or a hard drive that can not pipe it to it fast enough.

All that said everybody uses with USB loaders or SD cards to load games these days. These run faster than even the 6x stock speed which is all sorts of good. On top of this newer models of Wii can not be chipped or even made to use the softmod options for 3x speed.

NathanM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Softmodding is not something I am going to do, I just want to make 1 to 1 clones of Wii Discs. I heard you can do it with an LG drive and alcohol 120% (you just need to first load the original disc before running the clone). I do not know if this is true or not, and was wondering if anybody has tried this or something else to make a 1 TO 1 game disc clone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds very much like the fake mods you see with every new console.

The best you will get there is if the original game has an exploit and you do a one time/all in RAM softmod. I am not aware of anything like that for "backups", a few translations and hacks did it but nothing else that I have seen.

Softmodding is quick and very easy, is there something that especially bothers you about it?

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot run backups of ANY sort without soft modding or hard moddind. Period. End of story Nathan....

You will end up with a bunch of burned DVDs that are coasters, do not waste your money or time on this, if you could do such a thing, don't you think we would be shouting it to everyone everywhere?

NathanM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let the cloning begin!
Let us all know how they play on your unmodded Wii!

It works!!!
However my wii is about as old as it gets. Newer Wiis my or may not work like this. Either way I have got this to work on my Unmodded Wii with no homebrew enabled to play a 1 to 1 cloned wii disc! :) :) :) .

I am writing an article about how to do this. I will be replying when it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...