Hacking WUPInstallerGX2 External Hard Drive Brick

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could test it by installing a game in internal memory and restoring the save

Great idea! Since I didn't want to install anything to the system, I used my Twilight Princess HD disk. (which didn't need an update so I could still run it.) After disabling avira saviine did indeed work to restore my previous save, so I guess I'm good then.

Also, I doubt the y-cable is at fault, because it reacted the same way without it plugged in as it did with it plugged in, and from what I have heard not having a y-cable is not issential, it just causes trouble down the line. Likely there's some incomplete data the WiiU doesn't like and it's just throwing some sort of exception and freezing.

I guess it's time to double format this guy and see if it's going to sill work as a WiiU harddrive, any exceptions?

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, if all of your saves are okay i guess there is no problem formating

to keep my saves safe without having to use saviin and stuff here what I do: when i have games in HDD from time to time i copy them on internal, then i delete everything except the save, so i have all saves on internal, then i copy them on a wiiU formated USB stick, so basically my saves are on: hdd, internal, usb, so if the HDD die at worst i have just to reinstall stuff, and if my WiiU die i can still recover the saves easily like you did on the USB stick
I usually just play one game at once, so when i stop playing it for another game i backup the save like that

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I fixed the bootloader in Disk Management so I could format the drive, then formatted it to exFAT. I plugged it into my WiiU (y-cable as well) and it recognized it as a normal drive. I them proceeded to format it to WiiUFS from the menu. I also copied over my save for Twilight Princess HD to the drive, and power cycled it twice. It's working properly as far as I can tell and I'm working on getting the appropriate files onto my SD card to install a few things, starting with Twilight HD. I'll keep you posted.

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, it's done. WWHD and TPHD are both installed on the hard drive with the files restored via saviine. I'll update this thread or post when I've gotten everything back, looks like it's going to work with this hardware, knock on wood. If I've learned anything from this, it's that ubuntu without proper drivers is a poor way to copy files. I suppose the copy algorithm just isn't as perfected as windows is; at least that's my theory as to why WUPInstallerGX bricked my Wii U hard drive. I'll update this when I'm completely done. Let's hope nothing else goes wrong.

Edit: It looks like everything's going to be all right here. I've gotten most of the titles back that I want, with saves in tact thanks to saviine. Although Wii VC seem to have their saves stored on internal memory itself, for some reason, which I didn't know about. On my internet it'll still be a few more weeks until I have everything, but I'll be skipping Minecraft WiiU edition since I won't use it and it's what caused WUPInstallerGX2 to hang.

Last edited by bluedart,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably not I got cross play friends