Hacking WUP Installer goes black screen while installing large game (BoTW)

ruffo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So, I have downloaded BoTW with FunkiiU, the keys for it are correct and WUP installer starts the installing process, but after a while the screen turns black -not off, just black- and the console unresponsive. Then after manually turning off and on from the console, I check the available space and there is none taken, like nothing ever happened.

- using a 16GB USB stick which I have tried plugging in the front USB ports as well in the back top port. the USB is completely empty. I have moved all my -not so many- installs to NAND to avoid available space issues.
- running CBHC which goes by default to sysmenu.
- WUP Installer version is 1.3 rev 21.
- stand-by function also disable from system settings
- also I disable the -sort of- secret "sleep mode" option from data management settings as seen here, although I think that is a specific option for HDD's

Also I would like to mention that I have previously acquired games with FunkiiU and installed with WUP Installer successfully. Largest game I've tried so far was DKC Returns which is around 4GB. As I write this post, I'm trying with ZombiU

I have done my research and honestly I haven't seen much about an issue like this, so I'm feeling pretty lost.
Thanks in advance for taking the time and further help

ruffo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hello,

Do not use USB keys ==> often black screen or does not start.

Prefer an external hard drive with a Y cable or with its own power supply and you will be fine.

Did you try with this ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/working-fix-easy-install-wii-u-usb-helper-0-6-1-655.535214/

I see, thanks. Sadly I don't have Windows so at the moment I can't try what you suggest. Neither I have a spare HDD, I'm being doing Wii U stuff just since couple of weeks.

One question though: since I don't have a HDD and I have plenty of space on internal storage, could I rely on this instead? Would I get black screen anyways?

Reactions: jeannotte

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have the black wii U, you only have 32 GB of internal memory.
If you have the white wii U, you only have 8 GB of internal memory.

You don't have a lot of internal memory in the console, so that's why you have to use an external hard drive to format the Wii U. After that, it's up to you.

If your game is correct, you will be able to play it.

If your game is corrupted, there will be black screen or will not start.

Last edited by jeannotte,
Reactions: Alexander1970

ruffo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I have the black 32GB version, that's why I want to know if I can trust the installing process by using NAND instead since I don't have a HDD. I don't mind using it for BoTW, I have plenty free space.
I wanna be sure because I have read that if the installing process goes wrong while installing to NAND I will have a hard trying to get the space back.
Tldr: will wup installer crash to black screen anyways with a large installing like BotW even while installing over NAND? Thanks in advance

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wanna be sure because I have read that if the installing process goes wrong while installing to NAND I will have a hard trying to get the space back.
Tldr: will wup installer crash to black screen anyways with a large installing like BotW even while installing over NAND? Thanks in advance
Hello

you can install over Nand or USB, there is no reason that it should not work.
you have to install the complete game (game, dlc, update .......

You can always go to the console settings ==> then "" data management "", then delete what you want that does not suit you.

Last edited by jeannotte,

ruffo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hallo Leute. I'm back to discuss this issue after trying different games/downloads:

It seems to be a problem with tje downloaded files instead of just large games; I have downloaded Captain Toad (wii u, tried with USA and EUR) and Super Mario 64 (NDS version) and both at some point made WUP Instaler collapsed as explained before.

So yea, just a little update until I can figure this out. Chao for now

Zeh_Ot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I had the same problem with Captain Toad and Kirby. But before I was able to install Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Guard without a problem. I use just a flash drive with 64GB, not a big HDD.

ruffo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi. I realized I couldn't use my USB stick, solely relying on internal memory nowadays which it's not much but al least works. I thought was related to the downloaded games because I had Mk8 stored and running but at some point started failing as well.

Reactions: Zeh_Ot

Zeh_Ot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried everything for the USB stick to work, but as you said I think i finally realized it wouldn't. At first I thought it would be that energy problem, so I bought a Y cable, but nothing really changed. Black screen still happens with most games during installation. After that, it's possible that something will get corrupted and then all installations will be stuck at 0%. Maybe it's a hdd compatibility problem as I read in some Nintendo webpage a small list of compatible hdds. Well, if I can't fix it with something I have here, I won't buy a new HDD just for that (compatible with external power source). On the other side, I got great results with Loadiine playing from SD card (it may just get a bit slow rarely).

Xyzven

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, it's clearly documented in user experience that USB KEYS do not work well with the Wii U. Installing an SSD or HDD with a y-cable is the most recommended OR if you really just want to use one USB port, get a power brick to provide USB power using the Y-cable (although I do not usually recommended as it keeps the HDD/SSD running even when the Wii U is off).

I also get the same "black screen" and a "blarring noise" when using WUP installer for games larger than 3GB on my external SSD. I've tried a few things:
1. Tried doing a fresh install on a clean SSD (same issue)
2. Tried using a different SD Card as I know the copies I get are from the eShop so they are good. (same issue)
3. Try to use a HDD to do an install (haven't done this yet as this was my last resort)
4. Try to install on the NAND and then copy to the SSD using the DATA MANAGEMENT in the Wii U settings. <- *THIS WORKED FOR ME *

It is tedious but seems to allow me to install larger games or games that give me a hiccup when using WUP Installer. I tested it using The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild and the game itself is 10GB with the updates and DLC coming to another 5GB. I suspect SSDs handle buffer memory different than HDD cache or maybe the damned SATA to USB board that I use is so cheap (although I can't see why it would be an issue). Anyways, that's my take and 2 cents, and I hope this helps someone out there.

One other thing, I haven't tried to move the game to my SSD using the Wii U DATA MANAGEMENT but I suspect there would be no issue transferring the game over. My only concern is that the game might not play from the SSD properly but then again, I haven't had the time and chance to try it.

Reactions: Benja81 and ruffo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol