Writers' discussion thread

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by Shinigami357, Jun 6, 2011.

Jun 6, 2011
  1. Shinigami357
    OP

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    First things first, there's a legit guide for writers here, so if you're starting out or are confused with the whole act of writing, that would be the best place to start.

Anyway, I wanted to start a discussion thread. Whether you're writing something for school, writing as a hobby, writing seriously [considering publication, perhaps?] or, um, writing something for someone else, as long as you're serious about writing, then welcome. Whether you write poems, stories, essays, blogs, school articles, or whatever, if you need somewhere to discuss it, come on in. If you want to rant, brag, ask for help/opinions, or just take some time to talk to other people who write on your quest for literary perfection [there's such a thing?] hopefully this thread can help you.

...​

So, to start with, let me just say, sometimes I hate myself. Because of my own stubbornness, I've been forced to put my first story on hiatus at chapter 8. What happened is this: the story was doing just fine, getting along at 30k words for the first 7 chapters, and then this twisted idea gets into my head to make chapter 8, of all things, a love story. Just to be clear, the whole story is horror [with a side of drama for the backstory], and the first 7 chapters followed this no-BS straightforward horror template to a tee. Now, I'm stuck trying to write a chapter that I have no clue how to write [I mean, romance, for crying out loud!].To make matters worse, the next 3 chapters are all lined up in my head, waiting for this roadblock to take care of itself, and this story would have been finished within 4 months without the hiatus.

If you're wondering why I don't just start the chapter over, it's because, for one, my crazy hunches and ideas have made the story alright so far. Second, it's because I believe that if you put enough of a twist into any story, you can turn it into a horror story [which was the point of chapter 8 in the first place]. Hopefully, one of these days an idea falls out of the sky [that's where some of my best ideas come from] and gets this thing done.

It's not a complete loss, though, since it's given me time to shift my focus to an alternate story. It's doing fine [unless *knock on wood* some twisted idea gets into my head again] so far, I think. This is prob coz 1-it's not horror [a mish-mash of the premise of the once-great Heroes in a dystopian setting a la Hunger Games or Battle Royale] which is a breath of fresh air; and 2-I'm more at peace with myself when writing overall, so that helps.

PS
    I somehow miss writing poems. Did that a lot during high school, when there was just enough time to write line after line, then stanza after stanza. I kinda stopped after noticing that after 4 poems, I didn't even get one reaction from the girl I wrote them for. [​IMG]
    I should consider tying this up with my story-writing, I think. There's definitely a way to get it in there. Hmmm...

...​

Anyway, that's all for now. What's up with the rest of our fellows who follow the path of the written [typed?] word?

2. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Writing.

I take pride in writing aphorisms, profound, slightly poetic statements about life and stuff. Though I find it quite difficult since in my situation, being a 14 year old means my experience is limited.

While lack of experience does not stifle creativity, experience can help to improve the product as a whole.

Not many people actually take interest in it though.

Here's the ones I've written at the time being.. I haven't written one in a while though.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

As for fiction, I find that short sketches work for me the most, since I'm not one to make long stories. However, I can make a longer story if I feel like it.

3. Shinigami357
    OP

Philippines
    Those are pretty good aphorisms... Sometimes one pops into my head, and usually ends up in my tumblr or twitter, LOL. Not my forte though. And I somehow end up sounding too preachy when I do come up with one.

PS
    Remember, experience only counts in RPGs.

How's that for an aphorism?

EDIT:
    Typo. Damn.

4. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Gonna be writing A LOT of stories in future. But I'm only good at writing stories with dark themes, not those cheerful ones with happy endings. My mind is full of darkness. >:

Any tips on how to expand my writing style? Or should I just stick with dark and sinister themes all the way? :\

5. Shinigami357
    OP

Philippines

Hmmm... I started like that, too. I believe one can tell from the fact I'm writing one horror story and another in a dystopian setting, LOL.

IMHO, it won't hurt to get at least a little neutrality into it. It's generally the thought of light that breaks us when we are wrapped in darkness [profound much?]. I guess you can say it's the reason there are so many stories with twists in them, where a good situation turns bad [or a bad situation gets way worse]. Also, expanding your horizons is helpful, because you never know if you will need it somehow [like me, stuck coz of one chapter I don't yet know how to write].

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with dark and sinister themes. Each person writes what speaks to them. Best of luck there.

6. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    To be truthful? It's not really that insightful.

It's witty though, it's more of a one liner than an aphorism.

7. Shinigami357
    OP

Philippines
    Haha. Well, can't blame me for trying. At least I didn't go with "age is just a number", which is invariably cliche now.

8. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    My advice for the Love Story trouble you're having is to go read a little. As you advised in the last thread, many times if you're having trouble, someone else's form and prose will inspire you.

I haven't written in awhile neither. I'm more of an action oriented writer. I can put a image of a fight scene, or flight scene in your mind better than most. I've been trying to get a clear Horror writing style since I recently got into that genre myself.

9. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I've been doing more detailed stuff...

Like this Professor Layton thing.

Not much, but something.

10. Shinigami357
    OP

Philippines

I've been trying that, with limited success, partly because love stories bore me to sleep. So, instead, I'm incorporating a sort-of-but-not-quite love story angle on the story I'm working on now [btw, what story based on a dystopian setting doesn't have a love story angle anyway?].

You're considering writing horror? That's cool. Give it time, I think you'll take to it easily, because the attention to the smallest things that action-oriented writing demands is invaluable in horror [or at least to the style of horror I'm used to].

By the way, one of these days we should try rounding up all of the Temp's writers and make a short story collection. Haha, that would be fun.

11. Nujui

United States
    How's this for horror?

12. Sterling

United States
    That particular scene sounds like it's a thriller. It's out of context. Something like this:

should lead up to your passage.

EDIT:
    Should we start a 'temp writers' guild? People who are approved can review other's works and stuff. Perhaps start a few 'temp writing projects than anyone in the guild can edit and improve?

13. Sterling

United States
    dammit double posts.

14. Nujui

United States
    Lol, I know. I'm not one for horror. I just tried is all.

15. Sterling

United States
    It isn't bad by any means. I can see the potential for a great horror story there. It just seems out of context because it's only an excerpt.

16. Nujui

United States
    I was going for the guy doing that and as he went walking through this other world, he starts to remember what led up to him killing that girl, while finding more people that had also lost their memories of a certain event. The girl would be the key part of the story.

17. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I like this idea. But there aren't that many writers on this site from what I can see.

18. Sterling

United States
    There are many writers on this forum. However, there isn't much incentive to participate. If we get this rolling, perhaps there could be incentive.

19. Shinigami357
    OP

Philippines

He has a point. After all, the majority of the forum is based on words, so there should be some of us who have at least some willingness to explore writing further. Let's see if we can find enough of us.

PS
    Just somehow thought up another tip for the guide. Check it at your leisure.

20. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    I'm not a big writer, but a few of KB's contests (Steam Gives) and thread ideas (minor char stories in EOF) have opened me up to it a little more. I've never been the best at serious writing, though I love comedy, and, when writing, attempt to be as descriptive as possible with my stuff. I try and keep the reader guessing for the joke as long as possible before revealing too much to give it away.

Here's some brief "dark comedy" stories I've written for such things that sort of follow the same theme. Maybe I'll try other stuff sooner or later.

and a longer/better one:

so yeah, maybe I'll do more of this in the future. I really love animation and music the most, though you often need a strong story to power those as well [​IMG].