Hacking Wow microSD cards a freakin' cheap!

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I only have a 1GB card which came with my R4.

I'm looking to upgrade so I can store more goods when I go on holiday. I was very suprised to see how cheap the cards are.

Now which brand do people recommend? I know I should aim to get one which is made in Japan?

Where can I get a good one for sure? I live in UK btw.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think NewEgg ships internationally, but they have 8 gig cards for around 19 bucks. So do the conversion, and pay around that, maybe on Amazon? Make sure if you are buying from an online retailer that it's a legit one, not from a reseller (like not direct from Amazon) because there are a lot of fake cards out there.

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh it is Amazon I'm looking at, resellers too. Doesn't look like Amazon sell their own.

Do 8GB cards tend to me more unreliable than a smaller card on a R4?

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes they are indeed very cheap.

Just got a JAPAN Kingston 2GB microSD for $8 at my local computer store.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to stay cheap, go Kingston. If you don't mind paying a slight bit more, go for a SanDisk brand SD Micro. Any I've ever seen are top-quality and I've never seen one fail.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 1G and 2G Sandisk microSD aren't as fast as the Kingston (J). There's no reason to pay extra for them. Though I would imagine even the Sandisk Ultra cards are pretty cheap right now, so you probably can't go wrong with either one. When dealing with standard microSD, you want to find the cards with the lowest random access times. Write speeds are nice for transferring data to the card, but the write speed doesn't matter while you're playing the DS. The random access times are what's important while playing the DS, and the Kingston (J) cards have consistently spec'ed with the fastest random access times.

But to be honest, it really only matters in a couple of games from the entire DS library, so if you go with Sandisk or a cheaper card, you'll still be fine 99% of the time.

From personal experience, I would recommend against the A-Data 2G cards. They changed to slower specs without changing model numbers and screwed over many unsuspecting people. Their class 6 microSDHC cards are great, but stay away from the 2G.

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an 8GB Sandisk microSD on ebay for a little over $20 USD.

If your willing to look for them, ebay is the best place to buy IMO.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bumjeans said:
Oh it is Amazon I'm looking at, resellers too. Doesn't look like Amazon sell their own.

Do 8GB cards tend to me more unreliable than a smaller card on a R4?
I purchased from eek technology twice from amazon, and both cards were just fine.

dan92

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
there is a 4gb kingston on deal extreme for like $8 (with free shipping) and if you got the real r4ds 2gb cards are pretty cheap there too so check it out the bad thing is that shipping takes a lot i think, you can check on amazon too and ebay as well

bumjeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok thanks guys. 2GB it is then, will try to hunt down a Kingston. That ebay one looks good, can't complain for that price.

Nathan-NL

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can find a Kingston 2GB (Japan) anywhere in a local computer and supplies store, just look there and don't buy cheap things like these over the internet.

(Watch carefully if it's one out of Japan, those are faster)

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
forbiddenlyrics said:
smurfbear said:
anything 2 GB or higher, and check the class. Make sure its 4 or 6

He said he has an R4 which limits him to 2Gb, no MicroSDHC

Depends when he got his R4 if recently then its a clone which means, yes MicroSDHC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol