Hacking Would it be possible to replace my console's cert?

chippy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ets say I get banned. Can I replace my switch's cert for another one to bypass said ban?
If so, how?
If not, why?
Thanks
Didn't you post in other threads that all you need to do to avoid a ban was to switch sd cards?
I hope your not thinking of trying to take someone eleses cert. As others have said ofw will not accept the new cert and loading a cfw to insert it will just get it baned for the same reasons the first one was

Reactions: Full Metal

isoisoiso

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Didn't you post in other threads that all you need to do to avoid a ban was to switch sd cards?
I hope your not thinking of trying to take someone eleses cert. As others have said ofw will not accept the new cert and loading a cfw to insert it will just get it baned for the same reasons the first one was
Dumb dumb

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Sue the store for selling damaged units
how would the store know that its banned? do you think bro?
I've explained this before in a similar thread. Retail stores don't just throw returned product on the shelves. Electronics especially usually just get thrown into a bin and returned to the manufacturer to be refurbed regardless of whether it has apparent damage or not. Unless of course it's GameStop, in which case the consumer assumes the dangers of purchasing a second-hand console. Though I've dealt with a similar scenario with GameStop, and they quickly replaced the console.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible, certain developers know how to do it, but no one will ethically release. The main reason for this is fraud. Not only from used switches, but console cert / private info theft from malicious homebrew since no CFW currently block bis* calls. I brought up blocking these functions because only one application has a legit use for them: raj's sys firmware installer but developers dont want to lose access to powerful functions to the detriment of user security.

isoisoiso

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It is possible, certain developers know how to do it, but no one will ethically release. The main reason for this is fraud. Not only from used switches, but console cert / private info theft from malicious homebrew since no CFW currently block bis* calls. I brought up blocking these functions because only one application has a legit use for them: raj's sys firmware installer but developers dont want to lose access to powerful functions to the detriment of user security.
Interesting

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
This is the same reason why the similar method for the 3DS hasn't been released. What's funny, though, is that it's literally two lines of code. Obtaining an unbanned console, hacking it, and dumping all the necessary data is the tedious part.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the same reason why the similar method for the 3DS hasn't been released. What's funny, though, is that it's literally two lines of code. Obtaining an unbanned console, hacking it, and dumping all the necessary data is the tedious part.

It is a lot more than two lines of code. It is not as simple as just copying someone else's certain file.

You shouldn't continue this conversation, even having it discloses information on how to do it.

Last edited by blawar,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It is a lot more than two lines of code. It is not as simple as just copying someone else's certain file.

You shouldn't continue this conversation, even having it discloses information on how to do it.
I'm talking about in the case with the 3DS. It is indeed only two lines of code. Also, the necessary information is public. It's documented on the Brew Wikis. People just won't spend the time to read through everything to figure it out.

Wurstmann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Scum or not thats a good idea

Yeah, right until the point where the next owner asks the shop what is going on, they check who was the previous owner and you end up with a law suit. Very good idea. Another good idea is not to go online with a modded Switch to not get banned in the first place.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then you can't replase cert, unless you also emulated the info about your console.

Some of it might be writable, but for data that is part of the certificate that can't be written then you'd need to boot up in RCM and apply some patches to change the certificate. Which is why it's pointless.

I've explained this before in a similar thread. Retail stores don't just throw returned product on the shelves. Electronics especially usually just get thrown into a bin and returned to the manufacturer to be refurbed regardless of whether it has apparent damage or not. Unless of course it's GameStop, in which case the consumer assumes the dangers of purchasing a second-hand console. Though I've dealt with a similar scenario with GameStop, and they quickly replaced the console.

Not sure about retail, but catalogue companies sell their returns to companies which then just sell them on. I got a ps3 pro cheap and the box was a bit beaten up but otherwise it's fine.

Last edited by smf,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a popular thing on youtube these days where people buy crates of products from these companies that auction off things like Amazon returns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.