Homebrew Would a Nintendo 64 Emulator be possible?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, the wikipedia page needs to be updated because it only shows what i'm assuming what the lowest clock speed it runs at, it's kind of misleading. Thanks for clarifying though because I was sure the n3ds was not that slow.
Unless it's flagged to, it will run in 268MHz to keep with O3DS compatibility. I think two of the cores are reserved for 3D head tracking and OS, leaving you with two workable cores for games. I could be wrong, if someone knows please feel free to correct me.

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know it's not about hardware. Hell, I have a gaming computer with 8GBs of RAM, and I can't even launch Wii games on it. GameCube games also lag if there's too much shit loaded at once.
Ram really doesn't matter with emulation, if you fail to launch Wii games you don't have a gaming PC

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Endless Paradigm OG reporting in. Irrelevant, but I know the PSP.

Go away Joomla i live here now

Unless it's flagged to, it will run in 268MHz to keep with O3DS compatibility. I think two of the cores are reserved for 3D head tracking and OS, leaving you with two workable cores for games. I could be wrong, if someone knows please feel free to correct me.
Well that would make the old 3DS a quad core so GG

The New 3DS has 4 reported cores at 804mhz and honestly if you wanted a fully working N64 Emu that kept decent framerates and less frameskip you would code it for N3DS only.
Trying to optimize this kind of emulator for 2 different cpus will be a pain and would impede progress

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
If nintendo set up a team of 10 people who worked with this for a couple of years. Then we could have a n64 emulator on the n3ds :)
They could do that way quicker...they have the entire workings of the N64 documented and can probably get a hold of a lot of people who worked on the N64.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If nintendo set up a team of 10 people who worked with this for a couple of years. Then we could have a n64 emulator on the n3ds :)
actualyl probably wouldnt take them even a year considering the fact the have all the source code for all the nintendo hardware

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kinda sad how they have the power to do so and yet are unwilling to grant our wishes T-T
its called Why would they release an emulator so you can illegally download their games and play them, when they could just re-release the games for the console and actually make money

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
its called Why would they release an emulator so you can illegally download their games and play them, when they could just re-release the games for the console and actually make money
That's kinda what he is saying though. They could make VC so much more than what it is. A lot of people would buy N64 games for their 3DS, I'm sure of it.
I mean sure if they just released 1 N64 VC game I guess we could inject our own ROMs, but obviously we're not asking Nintendo to put an official N64 emulator on the eShop..

Reactions: SLiV3R

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's kinda what he is saying though. They could make VC so much more than what it is. A lot of people would buy N64 games for their 3DS, I'm sure of it.
I mean sure if they just released 1 N64 VC game I guess we could inject our own ROMs, but obviously we're not asking Nintendo to put an official N64 emulator on the eShop..
Except they would technically be making an emulator as soon as they make a VC game.
There is more value out of them just remaking n64 games a 3DS games with updated visuals, look how much the Ocarina and Majoras mask sold for

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Except they would technically be making an emulator as soon as they make a VC game.
There is more value out of them just remaking n64 games a 3DS games with updated visuals, look how much the Ocarina and Majoras mask sold for
Of course they would have to make an emulator, but not in the purpose of people to run ROMs with it, obviously.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Given they converted some n64 titles by mostly recoding them from scratch, I think ninty won't even try to have a n64 VC.

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no way. they started to develop a GBA emulator and got it *working* very slowly on O3ds before giving up and using AGB firm to keep their promise with the Ambassitors.
The gbatemp community actually did a little better on o3ds userland gba emulators.

Reactions: Lucifer666

gbaboy123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends how you see the question, n64 hardware could easily be emulated on new 3ds and old 3ds but the old 3ds lacks from buttons so that's a problem, running a n64 emulator is not really even relevant to hardware anymore since the worst piece of hardware right now is like 20x more powerful than a n64, the deal with emulation is who makes it. nintendo has teams of programmers who have a salary and all the tools required for this job like n64 documents and support from the company. while here in the hacking scene we don't even have an idea on how to make it possible on a new 3ds so, is the 3ds able to handheld n64? yes, can we make the 3ds run n64? it will take a lot of time and maybe nobody wants to make one so maybe not, i even bet if nintendo had programmers trying to run some early gamecube game they could even probably do it since especially new 3ds hardware is far more superior than the gamecube because newer and better hardware overall, now the question will nintendo do it? NO. even gameboy advance emulators aren't perfect yet but the one nintendo made is perfect to give an example and you can see how xbox one emulates xbox 360 while xbox 360 emulation is maybe 15 years from perfection on pc. that's my opinion

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What boggles my mind is that there is still people that want to play games that are from the 90's on a handheld system that can handle games that look and play 20x better. There's better games now, I understand people want to play old games but still. Just play newer games and enjoy those while you have them..

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Depends how you see the question, n64 hardware could easily be emulated on new 3ds and old 3ds but the old 3ds lacks from buttons so that's a problem, running a n64 emulator is not really even relevant to hardware anymore since the worst piece of hardware right now is like 20x more powerful than a n64, the deal with emulation is who makes it. nintendo has teams of programmers who have a salary and all the tools required for this job like n64 documents and support from the company. while here in the hacking scene we don't even have an idea on how to make it possible on a new 3ds so, is the 3ds able to handheld n64? yes, can we make the 3ds run n64? it will take a lot of time and maybe nobody wants to make one so maybe not, i even bet if nintendo had programmers trying to run some early gamecube game they could even probably do it since especially new 3ds hardware is far more superior than the gamecube because newer and better hardware overall, now the question will nintendo do it? NO. even gameboy advance emulators aren't perfect yet but the one nintendo made is perfect to give an example and you can see how xbox one emulates xbox 360 while xbox 360 emulation is maybe 15 years from perfection on pc. that's my opinion
Please stop, nothing you said was accurate.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
What boggles my mind is that there is still people that want to play games that are from the 90's on a handheld system that can handle games that look and play 20x better. There's better games now, I understand people want to play old games but still. Just play newer games and enjoy those while you have them..

Newer is not always better. In fact, the whole reason why people still love games from long ago is because they hold up so well, whereas many of the newer games don't.

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just my opinion, you cant prove anything so who cares
You didn't state your opinion, you stated (wrong) facts.
First off, emulating a system requires much, much more powerful hardware, there no way the O3DS can emulate the N64 (at playable framerates) and there's no way the N3DS can emulate the GameCube (again, at playable framerates). Just to give you an idea of how much more powerful we're talking, the SNES would require at least 3GHz for accurate emulation at good framerates.
Even if we're not speaking about perfect emulation, the O3DS is still too under powered for satisfactory N64 emulation (without having to use frame-skips or disabling sound, meaning Nintendo won't do it).
I'd go on but looking at the PMs you just sent me I don't really feel like educating you anymore. (also I'm no expert.)

Last edited by Juiss,
Reactions: nxwing

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1: 6.61 was a pointless release that allowed online functionality for a very small handful of games, and came out two or so years ago. Woopty fucking doo. 6.60 PRO suffices.
2: PSX games have practically ran perfectly native as EBOOTS for years. I have yet to find a game that didn't run fine with POPS. (Oh no, muh save file icon.)
3: Fuck a Go. I have a Slim TA-88 v1. Even if Pandora isn't a necessity anymore, the ability to create one totally adds more value in my book.
4: Capcom and NeoGeo. Neat. Please show me Daedalus progress since it's more relevant to this thread, and that's what I was referring to.
5: Endless Paradigm OG reporting in. Irrelevant, but I know the PSP.

Wow, why so angry?

You do realise the project I linked to is a true permanent final CFW for all PSP revisions right? Not just a 6.61 PRO update. Yes 6.60 PRO (if you can perma-patch) suffices, but how about something that goes beyond just being sufficient?

I know your full-hackable TA-88 v1 was something special 100 years ago, but Pandora compatability is perhaps valuable to only you any more.

You totally did say the PSP (rather than just Daedalus) was dead, twice actually:
the PSP died a long time ago
and
the system is pretty much irrelevant now
. Perhaps you'd be more enthusiastic if you weren't pining for the "glory days" when EP was a thing anyone cared about?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.