Worth to buy a ps vita right now?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lolz5521, Mar 18, 2017.

1. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    well recently my 3ds got stolen and I'm bored as hell so I'm thinking of getting another handheld. is ps vita worth it nowadays? any pros and cons on that handheld?

2. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Take a look on the game library if you like enough of the games you see to justify a purchase do it if not, don't do it.
    There're still a couple of releases every month, but almost nothing major anymore (Salt & Sanctuary e.g. is still supposed to get a Vita release).
    Beside that you should know that if you want to use homebrew (most noteworthy the emulators) you shouldn't use a firmware version >3.60.
    Almost every game that came out after the release of 3.61 (there're a few exceptions) will only work on FW>=3.61.
    The problem with 3.61<= beeing that you only get PSP homebrew (e.g. emulators), but not Vita homebrew (e.g. emulators) to work. And this most likely won't will change in the near future.
    Everything further is either detail for the case you decide to buy a Vita or up to you to search for (refering to browsing through the game library).

Last edited by VitaType, Mar 18, 2017
  3. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    It's hella worth it.
    Just get one below 3.60 and you'll be set.

If you don't feel like spending money get a Vita TV, you can now use USB to store games so you don't have to get the expensive proprietary memory cards.

Ryccardo likes this.
  4. Skv0ra

Skv0ra Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2007
    United States
    I got me a 2nd one (Slim to compliment my launch fat, just like I did back in PSP days) after reading up on everything. Funny enough, I didn't quite realize Vita was all up and ready back during the summer, so assuming it wasn't hacked all the way down to games I got me a N3DS on black friday and luckily CFW for newer versions happened after about a month. And having tried all the titles I wanted to and didn't want to, 3DS is just so lackluster compared to what Vita has to offer after all these years.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    If you manage to obtain a 3.60 one, it's deffo worth it!
    Even for the handful of games that are on the system.

6. BADDINOROX99

BADDINOROX99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    hell yeah.. even if you buy one on firmware higher than 3.60 you can buy a motherboard and swap it that's what I did and now I got henkaku

7. Skv0ra

Skv0ra Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2007
    United States
    Now that I side-by-side compared the two, Slim is definitely nicer to hold to play for a long time, but fat does have a noticeably better screen.

8. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    maybe i really should buy one... will decide this weekend.

9. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    ok i have bought the vita omg. can't believe this anyway how do i install game or delete game?

10. SaintBahamut

SaintBahamut Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2013
    Poland
  11. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    ah so that's how it works. quite complicated but doable.

12. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    so i definitely need ftp to transfer vpk files? no adapter for ps vita mmc and just plug in to pc?

13. SaintBahamut

SaintBahamut Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2013
    Poland
    VitaShell has USB support, but yea you need ftp to get it though

14. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    Yes it's worth it. Especially if you don't have psp. There's a lot of great psp games. And few great ps vita games. But I'm still think 3ds is better.

15. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    and how do i delete game? directly from ps vita management?

16. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Hm. Where is my teaching self-feeding book if needed. Hm. You can play on www.google.com while I'm looking for it.

Last edited by VitaType, Mar 25, 2017
  17. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Got one vita 1000 and two vita tv. all running henkaku proudly. I be even more proud if i can get psn access :P

Able to play ps4 anywhere in the house with wifi and all that you know? Plus with usb loading i want to download all my psn bought games on it but can't. Need the tedious process of whipping out my ps3, downloading games on what is already limited storage for 500GB and then wirelessly transfering to the system which will take hours on the POOR WIFI ON BOTH SYSTEMS. O_O

Anyway, i was hoping for a beefier psvita with 5GHZ AC wifi for better remote play, and phantasy star online 2 but both dreams are dead. :ninja:

You know what dream isn't dead? PAYING FOR OVERPRICED VITA MEMORY CARDS, and with the sales on playstation store, what kind of godlike combo has the gaming gods done for us? :creep:

I have to admit, the vita isn't a bad system but the two biggest flaws is the overpriced vita priority cards and encrypted data that you can't do much to back up anything with. Least psp was more flexible and uses cheaper but long lasting working memory stick pro duo.:)

18. lolz5521
    OP

lolz5521 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    why when i done using vitashell to transfer files the apps got corrupted? and i have to reinstall henkaku every single time. am i doing something wrong?