Working Gun Made With 3D Printer

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gushed about 3D printing so much that I think I've made most people here sick of the subject, but nuts to you all! I'm going to keep on writing about it anyway.

If you've been spared so far, let me get you up to speed. 3D printing is like a primitive version of a Star Trek replicator; give it a design, provide it with the base materials, and it'll print it out in no time. From producing simple tools and parts to even houses, the potential for the technology is almost limitless... as this article no doubt demonstrates.

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.
arrow.gif
BBC News

I guess our chances for comprehensive gun control are truly... shot.

This project comes at an interesting time in American culture. After recent tragedies, the topic of gun control has once again taken center stage. Some suggest sweeping changes to existing laws - banning certain weapon types outright, introducing universal background checks, etc. But what do you do when just about anyone can print out a gun for themselves in the comfort of their own home? How can you hope to stop that? Do you ban 3D printers outright despite their massive potential? Do you try to outlaw and restrict certain designs? Or do we just give up on the prospect altogether?

As technology only continues to advance and change the world around us, these are the sorts of issues we as a society will have to confront. I hope for the best, but really, there's no telling what these changes might trigger.

Alright, alright, I'm done. That's the last gun one.

Reactions: FireValk01

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Alright, alright, I'm done. That's the last gun one.
I'm sure you could fire another one off.
He could give it a shot.
Agreed. Stating in the op that you're all punned out is jumping the gun a bit.
Gahars, don't relent your punny ways so easily. You need to come out with guns blazing.

*ON TOPIC*
It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.
This has serious implications that can compromise security in a lot of areas. It's much easier to get one of these things past a metal detector than a box cutter.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically working gun.
Yeah. I would have liked to see the guy hit a target; I suspect it's horribly inaccurate. The milestone here is that it was made with a 3D printer; homemade, single shot .22s are not a rarity.
Gahars, don't relent your punny ways so easily. You need to come out with guns blazing.

*ON TOPIC*
This has serious implications that can compromise security in a lot of areas. It's much easier to get one of these things past a metal detector than a box cutter.
Oh the implications are even greater than that. Assuming that it has proper rifling in the barrel, it can probably be shot with reasonable accuracy within a certain range. If the rifling can be created by a 3D printer, what would stop someone from creating a barrel that would recreate ballistic fingerprints of another?

Reactions: Slimmmmmm

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had some good money I'd invest in 3D printing, there is no doubt that 3D printers are the future, and the possibilities seem limitless.

broitsak

Fight me.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My English teacher brought this up the other day and said it reminded her of Victor Frankenstien's story.

Anyway, this whole 3D printing is pretty awesome. Of course, you would need some kind of material to print stuff..?

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
at least its not a problem for places that have metal sensors (like airports ), since it can't work without the the metal pin that fires the bullet and the bullet itself (...metal parts).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
at least its not a problem for places that have metal sensors (like airports ), since it can't work without the the metal pin that fires the bullet and the bullet itself (...metal parts).
The bullet itself doesn't have to be made entirely out of metal either. It could be a shotgun cardboard shotgun shell full of little rocks, gunpowder and have only the cap be metal ... but then again, maybe they could somehow use those little red plastic caps from a cap gun :unsure:

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The bullet itself doesn't have to be made entirely out of metal either. It could be a shotgun cardboard shotgun shell full of little rocks, gunpowder and have only the cap be metal ... but then again, maybe they could somehow use those little red plastic caps from a cap gun :unsure:

Actually... I was thinking.. would this material be able to replace the metal parts that are needed for the gun? (maybe even be used to do the entire gun..)
it really seems to be strong enough ...and, if I understood correctly, by it being conductive, it could be somehow used to do a working bullet..

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Actually... I was thinking.. would this material be able to replace the metal parts that are needed for the gun? (maybe even be used to do the entire gun..)
it really seems to be strong enough ...and, if I understood correctly, by it being conductive, it could be somehow used to do a working bullet..
No. It's still soft plastic. "Conductive" here means it conducts electricity, and there's no use for that in conventional guns. In theory, you could make custom bullets with electric ignition (instead of percussion caps) and replace the firing mechanism with a battery and a switch.

EDIT: But you still couldn't do it in plastic, it's too soft for that.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
If you make the shell of the bullet yourself you would need no metal, this would take a lot of maths and practice but can be done.

A gun tbh is not THAT big a problem with a 3d printer because we know what they are (guns), but things can be made that we don't even know what they are and so in seeing them would cause no alarm or paranoia.

Rise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is a VICE doc about the company and its founder.

Ps. VICE have made some very cool docs if you dont know them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s