Hacking Workarounds for Firmware 4.2

Oirish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, downloaded cboot2, extracted it to the root of my SD card and replaced the bootmii folder with the new one but I can't find anywhere to run cboot2

I know I'm being a pain in the ass lads but believe me, my 7 year old daughter and I thank you.

Oirish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bootmii installed as boot2 and IOS so the option to launch it is there when I press home in the HBC, however when I do this the wii just resets.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oirish said:
Bootmii installed as boot2 and IOS so the option to launch it is there when I press home in the HBC, however when I do this the wii just resets.
go back to hackmii installer and find the option prepare the sd card.
cant remember where but its there.

panzeroceania

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
I tried cboot2, but I cannot get it to load in bootmii IOS mode (run through the HBC). It does load through bootmii on boot2 tho. What gives?

QUOTE(Oirish @ Oct 1 2009, 11:36 AM) Ok, downloaded cboot2, extracted it to the root of my SD card and replaced the bootmii folder with the new one but I can't find anywhere to run cboot2

I know I'm being a pain in the ass lads but believe me, my 7 year old daughter and I thank you.

ok, basically you both need to have had the latest bootmii installed, which means you had the latest homebrew homebrew installer and selected "prepare SD Card" and installed bootmii as both boot2 and as IOS just to be thorough

then you need to store the "bootmii" folder from your SD card on your PC and delete it off of your SD Card. Then move the cBoot2 files over to the sd card which should be

boot.dol
startup.elf

and a folder called "bootmii"

those 3 items go on the root of your SD card.

once you have done that, EVERYTIME you start up your wii with that SD card in it, it should automatically start cBoot2 all by itself and it will excecute whatever is in the boot.dol file, meaning if you have the WAD Manager one, it will start that.

you also need a copy of IOS249.wad in your "wad" folder on the root of your sd card. That way when WAD Manager starts you can select IOS249 to remove it from your Wii.

You are doing this because Nintendo stubbed IOS249 and you are removing that stub so that you can replace it with your own custom IOS249

after you have removed it you have to get the cIOS Installer "boot.dol" for use with cBoot2, the links SHOULD be at the beginning of this thread

once you have that you swap it out with the previous "boot.dol" file you had on the root of your SD Card and now when you boot up your wii it will automatically start cIOS Installer instead of WAD Manager, now you have to press left all the way till it gives you don't reload any IOS option

then just go through the instructions and select network install and it should install your cIOS revision 14

after that your backup loaders and USB loaders should work.

if you are interested in preloader at this time I WOULD NOT TOUCH IT WITH A 10 FOOT POLE.

I only say that because they aren't very compatible right now, but everything else should work fine.

any other cIOS you need to install now can like Hermes IOS222 can be done via the homebrew channel now and through IOS249 because you have replaced it so now it doesn't block things anymore.

don't forget to remove the boot.dol startup.elf and bootmii folder from your SD card and put the real proper bootmii folder back on, and you should be done.

Oirish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok gents, I got it to work with a little help, got the cboot2 installer and ran that however it didn't launch the WAD manager so I put my old one back in the apps folder and used that to delete the stub IOS's and replaced 249 and another one. Ran the cIOS14 installer then and it hung the first two times but completed on the third time. Put my SD card back to its original state and ran my backup loader and its all working again!!

Thank you all for your time and help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help about getting the boot2 wad unpacked properly.I used wad2nand.I think it did it right.I renamed the files like they should be and will be trying this later tonight to see if it works right.

Im not on 4.2 yet but i just wanna make sure i got the proper steps in case i do need to hack some 4.2 wiis

AbraCadvr

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wacko.gif

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does page 1 say to skip preloader because it will brick your Wii, yet people in the "Preloader Hacks.ini for 4.2U thread" say it installs/works fine?

panzeroceania

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D34DL1N3R said:
Why does page 1 say to skip preloader because it will brick your Wii, yet people in the "Preloader Hacks.ini for 4.2U thread" say it installs/works fine?

Amarok has also successfully done it.

I say don't because we tried everything last night to get it to work for me and my wii was bricked for awhile.

I have heard it is possible, I just don't think it is worth the risk right now.

That's just my opinion, take it for what you will, it's ultimately your choice, and in the end we did get my wii unbricked thanks to bootmii and waninkoko's software.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a Q...

It says to delete 222/223 and then reinstall Hermes cIOS (222/223).

Now my Q, is this just used for USB loader?

I got USB loader working (from a virgin 4.2) and unsure how...
unsure.gif

EDIT: BTW, Amarok, the guide looks much better now.
smile.gif
I haven't done it that way yet, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah but I'd tie him up in the females bathroom