Wondering about removed entrypoint in 3ds.guide

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Garro, May 20, 2017.

1. Garro
    OP

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    With Sighax and Boot9strap, 3ds.guide was completely changed to add the instruction related to install Boot9strap instead of arm9loaderhax.

While checking it, I noticed that according to the guide, users with firmware 1.0.0 to 3.1.0, their only option to boot9strap is Hardmod (Or Cart upgrading for MSET). Which makes me wonder what happened to the Browser entrypoint in 2.1.0 used to install arm9loaderhax? Is it incompatible with SafeB9SInstaller?

I think the average user would rather install arm9loaderhax to safely update to 11.4.0 and then, install Boot9strap instead of having to spend money either purchase a game to update to MSET, or via hardmod. While it could mean hosting more files and still having to support an old entrypoint, I think 3ds.guide should still offer a9lh as possible entrypoint for B9S.

Quantumcat likes this.
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    2xrsa is, frankly, a bad exploit with memory corruption problems (which is why basically only safea9lhinstaller and otphelper support it, and not after a lot of initial development difficulties)

The only reason it was still used is because as you probably know, 1.x or 2.x are required for otp dumping (a fact ironically made obsolete by sighax), and the only alternative to the 2.1+browser+2xrsa combo is Cubic Ninja plus a way of restoring your nand!

So 2xrsa might as well be unsafe with the sighax/b9s installers.

Of course, just because it's not in the [current version of the] guide, nothing prevents you from installing A9LH the way everyone did between last summer and yesterday - even otpless installation is usable directly on n3ds 11.3, with the usual caveat of higher failure risk!

3. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    SafeB9SInstaller doesn't work yet on those. d0k3 is working on it. SOON™.

4. Garro
    OP

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Ah that explains it, still, a9lh tools for 2xrsa were developed enough to be pretty safe, hopefully we can see b9s tools working on it someday. Still, a note about being able to use a9lh to install boot9strap on 2.0.0-3.1.0 would be pretty good, 3ds.guide has always been considered the best guide for having every relevant info related to 3DS hacking, so hopefully it keeps doing that. o:

5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
  6. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Someone already brought this up in reddit and that's where I saw it. They are aware of the situation. I guess they didn't want to mix a9lh and B9S and confuse the noobs.

You can still dig up old copies of the Guide. Try Wayback Machine or Google.

7. Garro
    OP

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Yeah I thought was much, still I would prefer confusion if it's free.

(...wait what?)

*heavy breathing*