Wired JoyCons?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by gudenau, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gudenau
    OP

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    When using the Switch in it's portable mode the JoyCons can connect via the small contacts at the bottom. Has anyone looked into using these contacts to create a wired interface for PC yet? Would be cool if it is just a funky form of USB HID like the XBox controllers where.

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Over Bluetooth it's just DirectInput, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised. No idea if anyone's looked into it though

3. gudenau
    OP

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    I am aware that the JoyCons use HID over Bluetooth, just oddly laggy when I use them. I find that to be quite strange, maybe there is some init that you need to do.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    So those JoyCons are not built in bluetooth ?!

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I tried it with my android tv, it is laggy but it works. Hope for some maybe solution to it. Is it safe to say that joy cons are HID controls compared to the wii mote and wii u pro which i guess are some super encrypted controllers (Cause they don't work as easily to connect with):unsure:

6. gudenau
    OP

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    If you mean that they do not use Bluetooth then that is wrong, they do use Bluetooth.

I do wonder if the controllers are laggy until something sets the LEDs to be a player number.

I guess I could take a better look in there, see how many contacts there are.

Edit:
    I count ten.

Last edited by gudenau, Apr 5, 2017
  7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Wii controllers show up as HID but they use a non-standard protocol, so a regular HID stack won't recognize it. It's not encrypted.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say the wired Joy-Con connection is some form of I²C. Nintendo previously used I²C for Wii remote expansion controllers, and it's a fairly simple protocol to implement (whereas USB is significantly more complicated).

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    That what make the joy con so damn expensive. :P

All that hardware stuff inside, bluetooth 4.0 (I think) HD rumble, gyrosense, motion controls, infared sensor, NFC for amiibo, the battery and i bet there is more. All for hot steaming pile of $50 each. :creep:

And i though ps4 dualshock was expensive. Now we know who the real scumbag is in pricing, especially for hardware that may go unused for long time especially by 3rd party devs who just wanna make a common game with no BS. :ninja:

9. gudenau
    OP

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    There is some encryption in the Wiimote stuff, just not that much of it.

Also keep in mind that the Switch supports USB and USB devices are not that hard to create either, there are many micro controllers with that built in on a hardware level.