ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

Lalaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nope, nothing happened
I'm sure I've put those files before randomization, but it didn't change anything

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, nothing happened
I'm sure I've put those files before randomization, but it didn't change anything
It should have worked, I looked at the gamedata.bin in nightmare and it has all characters listed as having supports in all three paths.

HoshidanGhost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've run into a hanful of issues along the way, but have finally gotten to the screen on my homebrewed 3ds that allows me to access the game through HANS. I've done each and every step perfectly fine (I believe), but after I set the romfs option to load the romfs from the SD, my homebrew crashes. Thoughts?

GCNMatt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok cool. I loaded it the rom started up and then I got a black screen and a third of it went white what the heck am I doing wrong!
Just try again
It doesn't work 100% of the time
The fact that it froze either means you used romfsbuilder on the wrong thing or you had bad luck. And stop being overly self focused. I'll help you, but only if you comment legitimate questions (aka don't use this forum as google).

Lalaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It should have worked, I looked at the gamedata.bin in nightmare and it has all characters listed as having supports in all three paths.
Mmh when I put the randomized files after the Gay Fates it asks me to overwrite a bunch of them, should I overwrite them?

Idk what else can I do, i put the Gay Fates files and after them the randomized files, did I do right?

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmh when I put the randomized files after the Gay Fates it asks me to overwrite a bunch of them, should I overwrite them?

Idk what else can I do, i put the Gay Fates files and after them the randomized files, did I do right?
You need to overwrite before you randomize so that the GameData.bin will be randomized.

Lalaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You need to overwrite before you randomize so that the GameData.bin will be randomized.
AH

do you mean putting the gay fates files BEFORE randomizing everything?

aaaaah fuck I understand now; I'm dumb, sorry
wait how am I supposed to do this then (with my current randomization I mean)

Last edited by Lalaya,

Lalaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
(Doublepost?)
Ok, I managed to recreate the randomization with the .xml file but the randomizer checked "Randomize stats" even if I didn't check that the first time, and I don't want to randomize the stats but I can't uncheck the option

What do

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Doublepost?)
Ok, I managed to recreate the randomization with the .xml file but the randomizer checked "Randomize stats" even if I didn't check that the first time, and I don't want to randomize the stats but I can't uncheck the option

What do
The randomizer will ignore that check altogether. Instead, it will pull from your XML file for the stats. So don't worry about it, stats won't be randomized.

Lalaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tried another random, crashed at the beginning of Chapter 2 (after the cutscene), nothing works

edit: deleting the dispo leaves me with jakob and gunter with their vanilla equipment
which is shit because corrin alone cant beat chapter 2

I want to know why half of my randoms crash at a random point everytime before/in Chapter 6

Sigh, why
Sorry to be a burden with my posts but I don't know what to do, rerolling a randomized run that works for my pc with 5-6 tries for anyone of that is a bit too much

Last edited by Lalaya,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Tried another random, crashed at the beginning of Chapter 2 (after the cutscene), nothing works

edit: deleting the dispo leaves me with jakob and gunter with their vanilla equipment
which is shit because corrin alone cant beat chapter 2

I want to know why half of my randoms crash at a random point everytime before/in Chapter 6

Sigh, why
Sorry to be a burden with my posts but I don't know what to do, rerolling a randomized run that works for my pc with 5-6 tries for anyone of that is a bit too much
That's just how it goes, I've had crashes in 2, 4 and 7 on multiple tries, nothing you can really do about that.

Lalaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I crashed again on Chapter 4 on this fifth try and even deleting the dispos didn't solve that, so...

I noticed it too, crashes a lot on the first 6 chapters and it never crashed later for me (although I did it past chapter 6 only once and I crashed past the cutscene at the end of the chapter, and for """""fixing""""" that I played the vanilla chapter 6 and replaced Jakob with Laslow with FETwiddler)

Last edited by Lalaya,

JackWwulf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HELP!!!
So I'm trying to do this, and I have braindump downloaded, but it doesn't give me the option of which game to dump, it just begins dumping straight away. I'm guessing this is since I have the cartridge for conquest in. So, I take the dumped Romfs and use the extractor, but in the new ROMFS folder I get, I only get folders with names like Message, Message hud, Shaders, and a few others inside it. I try to open the Extracted ROMFs through the randomizer application, but when I click open nothing happens. Does anyone have a more in-depth tutorial as I'm new to using braindump and homebrew etc. This is something I really want to play and I would love and appreciate all the help i can get. Many thanks!

tommy7115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HELP!!!
So I'm trying to do this, and I have braindump downloaded, but it doesn't give me the option of which game to dump, it just begins dumping straight away. I'm guessing this is since I have the cartridge for conquest in. So, I take the dumped Romfs and use the extractor, but in the new ROMFS folder I get, I only get folders with names like Message, Message hud, Shaders, and a few others inside it. I try to open the Extracted ROMFs through the randomizer application, but when I click open nothing happens. Does anyone have a more in-depth tutorial as I'm new to using braindump and homebrew etc. This is something I really want to play and I would love and appreciate all the help i can get. Many thanks!
Are you using the latest version of braindump?

Reactions: JackWwulf

GCNMatt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HELP!!!
It's supposed to download immediately. And make sure you're
A: Using the correct version of Braindump. It should give you a romfs.bin and an exefs.bin
B: Make sure the dump is completed. Sometimes it can stop mid-dump if you run out of space on the SD or power on the 3ds.

Reactions: JackWwulf

ajmiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've observed while watching some playthroughs of the game that there seem to be a small issue with the skill randomizer...
About 1/4 of all characters start with no skills equipped, and even though the randomizer can pick any of the 228 skill IDs in the game, no character that I've seen has ever started the game with a personal or enemy-exclusive skill in their equipped skill slots, so those skills seem to be filtered out by the game. (Has anyone found a counterexample to this?)

Thankfully, if we can't or don't want to remove that filter, it should be simple to exclude those skills from selection by the randomizer. Something like this should do:

Code:
public void randomizeSkills()
    {
        for(int x = 0; x < skills.length; x++)
        {
            if(skills[x] != 0)
                {
                short newSkill = (short) (0x93 * Math.random() + 1); // The personal skills start at 0xA0 and of the ones before that, 12 are unobtainable
                if(newSkill > 0x70) newSkill += 7; // This skips over "Brynhildr" and the first group of enemy skills (0x71 to 0x77)
                if(newSkill > 0x7a) newSkill += 5; // This skips over the second group of enemy skills (0x7B to 0x7F)
                skills[x] = newSkill;   
               }
        }
    }

robotic_jo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An error occurs on Chapter 9 of Conquest. When you recruit the randomized Nyx replacement, she demonstrates about the broken wall and then after that it says error occurred. I will fix it for now with your suggested thing, but just letting you know

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've observed while watching some playthroughs of the game that there seem to be a small issue with the skill randomizer...
About 1/4 of all characters start with no skills equipped, and even though the randomizer can pick any of the 228 skill IDs in the game, no character that I've seen has ever started the game with a personal or enemy-exclusive skill in their equipped skill slots, so those skills seem to be filtered out by the game. (Has anyone found a counterexample to this?)

Thankfully, if we can't or don't want to remove that filter, it should be simple to exclude those skills from selection by the randomizer. Something like this should do:

Code:
public void randomizeSkills()
    {
        for(int x = 0; x < skills.length; x++)
        {
            if(skills[x] != 0)
                {
                short newSkill = (short) (0x93 * Math.random() + 1); // The personal skills start at 0xA0 and of the ones before that, 12 are unobtainable
                if(newSkill > 0x70) newSkill += 7; // This skips over "Brynhildr" and the first group of enemy skills (0x71 to 0x77)
                if(newSkill > 0x7a) newSkill += 5; // This skips over the second group of enemy skills (0x7B to 0x7F)
                skills[x] = newSkill;  
               }
        }
    }
I'll do some research to see if person skills and enemy skills are filtered out - that would explain why skills occasionally don't show up at all. As far the code goes, I'm actually planning on adding in a skill menu in the next version so that you can pick which skills you want in the pool when randomizing. Thank you!

JackWwulf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep I've got both of those files, and It says that it's all done, just nothing happens when I try to open the Extracted romfs folder in the randomiser

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1