Hacking [WIP] Complete Custom Firmware Guide

retsnom_Adedekutsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Good day.

My 3DS's firmware is 4.5. I planned to use this tutorial using FBI injection since I don't have a Gateway and Cubic Ninja. But it turns out that I cannot use the browser without updating my system.

Then I saw this guide. I manage to do the steps until Step 5

Without browser
Step 5

Installing your first CIA

to start we're going to install a CIA manager called FBI
  • download the dbs.zip, from the attachments, unzip it somewhere, inside should be 2 files import.db and title.db
  • insert your blank SD card into your 3ds and turn the power on, it'll say that it's creating management information (it may have already done this), wait until it's finished, power the 3ds off and take the SD card out.
I don't get this. I have copied rxtools.dat before on my SD card? Does it mean that I have to delete everything on my SD card before I insert it?

• go to other options and click on the inject FBI over Health&Safety
  • it will give you an error, don't worry this is normal
  • in the error message it will give you a number, for example mine was v1026
I can't see any number. All I just see is:
FBI Installation

Opening SecureInfo_A... Error.
Trying with SecureInfo_B... Error.
Process failed!

Press A to exit.

What should I do?

• repeat the first three parts of this step
Does it mean that I have to download the dbs.zip again?

My apologies for asking these questions. I already have backread and didn't seem to find any questions similar to mine. Hope you could help.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good day.

My 3DS's firmware is 4.5. I planned to use this tutorial using FBI injection since I don't have a Gateway and Cubic Ninja. But it turns out that I cannot use the browser without updating my system.

Then I saw this guide. I manage to do the steps until Step 5

I don't get this. I have copied rxtools.dat before on my SD card? Does it mean that I have to delete everything on my SD card before I insert it?

I can't see any number. All I just see is:
FBI Installation

Opening SecureInfo_A... Error.
Trying with SecureInfo_B... Error.
Process failed!

Press A to exit.

What should I do?

Does it mean that I have to download the dbs.zip again?

My apologies for asking these questions. I already have backread and didn't seem to find any questions similar to mine. Hope you could help.

I thought I took care of these issues before, its my fault... You don't need to erase your card, though I'm not sure on the errors but I got that on my 3ds as well... What I had to do was use PBT CFW (it's terrible) to install my first CIA... It's a HUGE problem that I'm trying to work around and then FBI injection came and I thought it would be the best option... It appears that I was wrong on that front heh anyways, no you don't need to redownload anything. I have to fix my 3ds before I can make anything (so i can test) though your secureinfo errors haven't been solved, several people have made posts about it and no one has any answers... *sigh* hopefully I can make something better soon

EDIT: Without Browser section cleaned up a bit, should be a bit more clear

Can you try making an emuNAND for me and then retry the injection? That got FBI installed for me when I was having a similar problem

Last edited by dark_samus3,

ChaosAxess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see where the confusion is coming from... The step used to be open up the public beta and navigate to the 4.5 MSET installers folder but I opted for the 6.x MSET because custom firmwares on 6.x or above try to install for 6.x MSET so you can safely ignore that odd step (I'll have to take it off too) anyways not sure on the wrong title error... Make sure you have the latest FBI and that the destination on the top screen reads NAND
Hmm, yeah, IDK if it is something with FBI or what. I'm onn N3DS 9.0.0.20U, got the USA 6.X from a certain ISO site, got version 1.4.15 of FBI (Latest), and using Ninjhax 1.1b. I tried starting over, still giving me the error:
Code:
Install Failed!
mset-USA-6.0-0004001000021000.cia
Source: SOURCE_APP_WRITE_CIA (0X6)
Module: MODULE_NN_AM (0X20)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0X1b)
Summary: SUMMAY_INVALID_ARGUMENT (0X7)
Description: DESCRIPTION_INVALID_TITLE_VERSION (0X27)

Using the SD card that came with the system, not sure if that matters or not.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, yeah, IDK if it is something with FBI or what. I'm onn N3DS 9.0.0.20U, got the USA 6.X from a certain ISO site, got version 1.4.15 of FBI (Latest), and using Ninjhax 1.1b. I tried starting over, still giving me the error:
Code:
Install Failed!
mset-USA-6.0-0004001000021000.cia
Source: SOURCE_APP_WRITE_CIA (0X6)
Module: MODULE_NN_AM (0X20)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0X1b)
Summary: SUMMAY_INVALID_ARGUMENT (0X7)
Description: DESCRIPTION_INVALID_TITLE_VERSION (0X27)

Using the SD card that came with the system, not sure if that matters or not.
Try ninjhax 2.x?

Also if you want to wait I'm putting the N3ds autoboot CFW guide probably tomorrow which won't use MSET at all (looking at it more I'm suspecting that it's your MSET CIA)

ChaosAxess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try ninjhax 2.x?

Also if you want to wait I'm putting the N3ds autoboot CFW guide probably tomorrow which won't use MSET at all (looking at it more I'm suspecting that it's your MSET CIA)
Ninjhax 2.1 wouldn't even load FBI haha.

Yeah, I'll just wait. Thanks for all your help!

retsnom_Adedekutsu

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought I took care of these issues before, its my fault... You don't need to erase your card, though I'm not sure on the errors but I got that on my 3ds as well... What I had to do was use PBT CFW (it's terrible) to install my first CIA... It's a HUGE problem that I'm trying to work around and then FBI injection came and I thought it would be the best option... It appears that I was wrong on that front heh anyways, no you don't need to redownload anything. I have to fix my 3ds before I can make anything (so i can test) though your secureinfo errors haven't been solved, several people have made posts about it and no one has any answers... *sigh* hopefully I can make something better soon

EDIT: Without Browser section cleaned up a bit, should be a bit more clear

Can you try making an emuNAND for me and then retry the injection? That got FBI installed for me when I was having a similar problem

Hi. Thank you for your patience.

Does it mean that I can do step 7 first and then go back to step 5?

One more question, when I installed the RxTools MSET exploit, did it affect sysnand? Just in case I wanted to undo everything, I can just put back backup of my SD card, right? But how I can I uninstall RxTools MSET exploit

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Thank you for your patience.

Does it mean that I can do step 7 first and then go back to step 5?

One more question, when I installed the RxTools MSET exploit, did it affect sysnand? Just in case I wanted to undo everything, I can just put back backup of my SD card, right? But how I can I uninstall RxTools MSET exploit
Just format system memory or run any original ds game to uninstall the exploit, make an emuNAND and then try step 5 again... Hope you get it sorted out :)

Ninjhax 2.1 wouldn't even load FBI haha.

Yeah, I'll just wait. Thanks for all your help!

Well my guide needs you to be able to run FBI through ninjhax in some way

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Everything went fine for me, up until step 9.
In step 7, I was supposed to update my emunand to the newest version. My emuNAND version is RX3D 10.1.0-27E at the moment. The fbi thread states that fbi won't work on > 9.2.

I get to launch fbi, but I get an error every time while trying to install the fbi.cia.
"Install failed
FBI.cia
Source: SOURCE_APP_BEGIN_INSTALL (0x5)
Module: MODULE_NN_OS (0x6)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_WRONG_ARGUMENT (0x8)
Description: <unknown> (0x2f)"

I also can't send files through sockfile ("Wifi: Disconnected").
"Failed to initialize socket.
No such device"

What did I do wrong? Did something with the update go wrong? If yes, then step 7 seems faulty...

Last edited by hunter291,
Reactions: vectorsquad

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything went fine for me, up until point step 9.
In step 7, I was supposed to update my emunand to the newest version. My emuNAND version is RX3D 10.1.0-27E at the moment. The fbi thread states that fbi won't work on > 9.2.

I get to launch fbi, but I get an error every time while trying to install the fbi.cia.
"Install failed
FBI.cia

No such device"

What did I do wrong? Did something with the update go wrong? If yes, then step 7 seems faulty...

Step 7 is fine, updating emuNAND is the correct way to go, you're right FBI won't work properly on 10.1 sysNAND but since we have kernel control under emuNAND FBI works fine... It seems that rxTools is the problem, try cakes and see what happens

EDIT: n3ds autoboot CFW guide is up! get it while it's hot

ChaosAxess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so everything was going fine until step 7. I am trying to load Cakes as my CFW, but I keep getting an error and it is telling me: "Make sure your launcher is located at /cakes.dat" I have no idea what that means :x

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so everything was going fine until step 7. I am trying to load Cakes as my CFW, but I keep getting an error and it is telling me: "Make sure your launcher is located at /cakes.dat" I have no idea what that means :x

It's telling you to put the file cakes.dat onto your SD card, it should be in the zip you downloaded to get cakes

vectorsquad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything went fine for me, up until step 9.

"Install failed
FBI.cia

No such device"

I'm gettin the same error as this guy. I'm stuck in this step, and I'm 100% sure I have the dbs folder with the files in it inside my SD card, and I'm also sure I made an EmuNAND (cause it's one of the first few steps in this guide lmao). Any idea how we can get through this? I've tried it on rxTools and CakesFW and I keep getting the same result. :/

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gettin the same error as this guy. I'm stuck in this step, and I'm 100% sure I have the dbs folder with the files in it inside my SD card, and I'm also sure I made an EmuNAND (cause it's one of the first few steps in this guide lmao). Any idea how we can get through this? I've tried it on rxTools and CakesFW and I keep getting the same result. :/

Wtf is it with this error... Not sure why this happens tbh, and neither does anyone else it seems... To verify, you have slot0x25keyX.bin and firmware.bin and firmkey.bin all in their respective folders for each CFW? I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue or something else...

vectorsquad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wtf is it with this error... Not sure why this happens tbh, and neither does anyone else it seems... To verify, you have slot0x25keyX.bin and firmware.bin and firmkey.bin all in their respective folders for each CFW? I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue or something else...

> slot0x25keyX.bin's in the root of my SD card. (SD:\)
> Both firmware and firmkey.bin's are in the Cakes folder. (SD:\Cakes\)
> I'm on FW 9.0, USA 3ds unit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Waiting for @hunter291 's reply. Maybe he got around this error... hopefully. :|

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
> slot0x25keyX.bin's in the root of my SD card. (SD:\)
> Both firmware and firmkey.bin's are in the Cakes folder. (SD:\Cakes\)
> I'm on FW 9.0, USA 3ds unit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Waiting for @hunter291 's reply. Maybe he got around this error... hopefully. :|

Well if you read the instructions correctly if you're using 9.0-9.2 you can skip the step of updating emuNAND... Try reformatting emuNAND and don't update it, then install themehax on it and run FBI from there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol