CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ok I might be worrying about nothing but today I switched on my PC & after quite a while I got a message popup stating
QUOTE said:
Since Windows was first installed on the computer, the hardware has changed significantly. Due to theses changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days. Do You want to reactivate Windows now?
Now the thing is I've not changed a SINGLE THING inside the PC since I brought it many years ago (& my version of WinXP Pro is totally Legal & paid for as well) - I've added stuff like an external HDD but nothing actually inside. (incidentally I went through 'activation' & it didn't ask me for any 'personal details' / credit card details etc)

The only thing I can think of is that the day before I had a 'Windows Update' (according to my history it's 'Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2011 (KB890830)') so I'm thinking that's what caused it, but a Google search doesn't seem to come up with any 'reactivate' problems with KB890830

I've checked/am checking the PC for malware/Viruses etc using (free versions) of Hitman Pro / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware / Emsisoft Anti-malware and Avast Antivirus (only 'quick scans' though & not @ the same time) - so far none have showed anything 'serious', a few tracking cookies or ' suspisious PUPS' [which I know are usually 'false positives' anyway because I've checked them with www.virscan.org] etc, but nothing 'serious'...

So I'm wondering - have anyone1 else had this sort of thing happen to them, perhaps not with this particular update, but with similar Windows Updates ??

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
There should be a product key that came with your PC. Sometimes it's in in the bag of cds/manual that comes in the box and sometimes it's on the PC itself (more common on laptops). Try finding that and entering it in. If that doesn't work, try using the online help system to ask microsoft.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
There should be a product key that came with your PC. Sometimes it's in in the bag of cds/manual that comes in the box and sometimes it's on the PC itself (more common on laptops). Try finding that and entering it in. If that doesn't work, try using the online help system to ask microsoft.Thanks for that info but I didn't need to know this
- As I said in my post I have already gone through the 're-activation' & it didn't ask me for any details AT ALL
QUOTE(incidentally I went through 'activation' & it didn't ask me for any 'personal details' / credit card details etc)
Sorry if that wasn't all that clear

- I'm just asking if anyone has had the 'You need to reactivate Windows' after a 'Windows update' before

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
JoostinOnline said:
There should be a product key that came with your PC. Sometimes it's in in the bag of cds/manual that comes in the box and sometimes it's on the PC itself (more common on laptops). Try finding that and entering it in. If that doesn't work, try using the online help system to ask microsoft.Thanks for that info but I didn't need to know this
- As I said in my post I have already gone through the 're-activation' & it didn't ask me for any details AT ALL
QUOTE(incidentally I went through 'activation' & it didn't ask me for any 'personal details' / credit card details etc)
Sorry if that wasn't all that clear

- I'm just asking if anyone has had the 'You need to reactivate Windows' after a 'Windows update' before
Sorry, I didn't realize personal or credit card details included the product key. I thought you just meant your name and stuff.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Sometimes Windows will "forget" it's been activated for whatever reason. Reactivating is usually a matter of just following the steps it brings up (and possibly calling Microsoft). I've seen it happen a few times on every post-2000 version of Windows, and they've given quite a few excuses over the years (usually hardware change, sometimes a random update that makes it think the hardware has changed (like ATi being renamed AMD), or malware that attempts to attack drivers in order to create seeds for further viruses... that's only happened 3 times though).

It's also possible that someone has guessed/randomly generated a key for activation that matches yours, causing Microsoft to question your activation. Understandably, the chances of that happening are rather extremely small, but it's possible.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well I don't know why some people assume I'm asking about activating XP when I've already said I HAVE activated it AFTER this message has popped up
laugh.gif

But thanx 'Originality'...... That's what I wanted to hear... at least I know it CAN happen even if nothing been changed inside the case... I guess it MUST'VE been that last M$ update that caused it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY