Windows XP Pro - 'You need to reactivate' popupe

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CannonFoddr, Apr 29, 2011.

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Ok I might be worrying about nothing but today I switched on my PC & after quite a while I got a message popup stating
    Now the thing is I've not changed a SINGLE THING inside the PC since I brought it many years ago (& my version of WinXP Pro is totally Legal & paid for as well) - I've added stuff like an external HDD but nothing actually inside. (incidentally I went through 'activation' & it didn't ask me for any 'personal details' / credit card details etc)

The only thing I can think of is that the day before I had a 'Windows Update' (according to my history it's 'Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2011 (KB890830)') so I'm thinking that's what caused it, but a Google search doesn't seem to come up with any 'reactivate' problems with KB890830

I've checked/am checking the PC for malware/Viruses etc using (free versions) of Hitman Pro / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware / Emsisoft Anti-malware and Avast Antivirus (only 'quick scans' though & not @ the same time) - so far none have showed anything 'serious', a few tracking cookies or ' suspisious PUPS' [which I know are usually 'false positives' anyway because I've checked them with www.virscan.org] etc, but nothing 'serious'...

So I'm wondering - have anyone1 else had this sort of thing happen to them, perhaps not with this particular update, but with similar Windows Updates ??

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    There should be a product key that came with your PC. Sometimes it's in in the bag of cds/manual that comes in the box and sometimes it's on the PC itself (more common on laptops). Try finding that and entering it in. If that doesn't work, try using the online help system to ask microsoft.

3. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    pm me lol
    jkjk

4. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry if that wasn't all that clear

- I'm just asking if anyone has had the 'You need to reactivate Windows' after a 'Windows update' before

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Sorry, I didn't realize personal or credit card details included the product key. I thought you just meant your name and stuff.

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Just use some sort of a WPA killer or get a Warez serial if you lost yours. XP has been discontinued anyways, nobody will ever mind.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Sometimes Windows will "forget" it's been activated for whatever reason. Reactivating is usually a matter of just following the steps it brings up (and possibly calling Microsoft). I've seen it happen a few times on every post-2000 version of Windows, and they've given quite a few excuses over the years (usually hardware change, sometimes a random update that makes it think the hardware has changed (like ATi being renamed AMD), or malware that attempts to attack drivers in order to create seeds for further viruses... that's only happened 3 times though).

It's also possible that someone has guessed/randomly generated a key for activation that matches yours, causing Microsoft to question your activation. Understandably, the chances of that happening are rather extremely small, but it's possible.

8. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well I don't know why some people assume I'm asking about activating XP when I've already said I HAVE activated it AFTER this message has popped up [​IMG]

But thanx 'Originality'...... That's what I wanted to hear... at least I know it CAN happen even if nothing been changed inside the case... I guess it MUST'VE been that last M$ update that caused it