Gaming Windows Vista To Windows 7

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone
I recently saw how cool windows 7 is, and right now I have windows vista.
I want to update to windows 7, but I'm not really sure how to..
wacko.gif

Will my files be saved, or will they get erased?
And how do I update it, as I am going to download it, do I burn it, or can I run it off like daemon tools or something??
Will there be updates for me, like will it act like a licensed version of Windows?
Sorry I'm new to this..
Thanks..
rolleyes.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, i have the retail copy so all i can tell you how to do is get it up.

once you boot up the DISC (so you burn it) from vista you should choose the upgrade option andthekeeps your files but custom will not (custom is mostly for XP users) but microsoft has an online guide to upgrade.

sorry i wast that big of a help

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
its very quick and easy, you pop the win7 disc in and it updates you to win 7 and keeps files and setting too
you can install 7 with daemon tools as well

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are many versions of Windows 7 on warez sites. You have to go search for a version that says OEM in the title. It will be fully licensed and you will make it a genuine copy and updates will work fine.

After it downloaded, burn the .iso to a DVD. Put the DVD in your disc drive and reboot your computer. It will scan the disc before it loads up your homescreen and take you to the installation.

I would recommend that you do a fresh install. This involves formatting your whole computer though. If you want to, download DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) and completely format your computer. Backup your items first of course. After it formats (takes about 6 hours), have the Windows 7 DVD in your drive and reboot your computer, and install it completely.

But if you want to keep your files, just do what I said before the formatting bit.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
You have to to update to the same version.

* Windows Vista Home Premium > Windows 7 Home Premium
* Windows Vista Business > Windows 7 Professional
* Windows Vista Ultimate > Windows 7 Ultimate

and if you use 32bit you have to update to the 32bit windows 7 version and the same for 64bit.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lee79 said:

and if you use 32bit you have to update to the 32bit windows 7 version and the same for 64bit.

actually, you can go from

* Windows Vista Home Premium > Windows 7 Ultimate

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lee79 said:

Nope. I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate.

EDIT: Damnit ifish

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
ifish said:
Lee79 said:

actually, you can go from

* Windows Vista Home Premium > Windows 7 Ultimate

asdf said:
QUOTE(Lee79 @ Jan 21 2010, 04:01 PM)

Nope. I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate.

EDIT: Damnit ifish

oh ok I stand corrected I always thought you had to use the same version.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A fresh install is always advisable instead of updating from a previous version of windows.

If you want to try a fresh install you either burn it to a dvd, or you can use a tool microsoft released that copies the files to a usb stick and makes that bootable.

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So can I update from windows vista home premium to windows 7 ultimate?
It'll still keep my files right?
And, my version is 32 bit, can I update to x64 or x86.. Whats the difference?
I have a seperate drive partition; D:, can I restore my files if I happen to lose them?
Thanks again..

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
67birdman said:
So can I update from windows vista home premium to windows 7 ultimate?
It'll still keep my files right?
Yes, it'll keep your files and installed apps if you update.

QUOTEAnd, my version is 32 bit, can I update to x64 or x86.. Whats the difference?
I have a seperate drive partition; D:, can I restore my files if I happen to lose them?
Thanks again..

You can't update from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one. You can only update from a 32bit to a 32 bit, or a 64bit to a 64bit. For that you have to do a fresh install. You can always move files to your D drive and restore them afterwards, if you did a fresh install. You'd still have to reinstall your applications.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A month ago I tried to update from Vista Home to 7 Ultimate. The installation progessed nearly until the end. Then came a message like "The update failed. Reverting back..." and the installtion was completely undone. No message what the problem was, nothing. Just went back to Vista Home and all was like before the update.

AAlcoholic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
x86 refers to the 386/486/586 instruction set, from Intel, for those same processors, all of which were 32-bit.

x64 is by AMD, and was actually called x86-64 and AMD64 before most people just shortened the name (Intel had their own 64-bit thing, it didn't do so hot). It succeeded over the Intel one because it was more compatible with the older x86 instruction set, and thus Intel licensed it from AMD (which is partially why AMD is still around with their Athlons: mutual agreement not to sue each other and borrow each other's tech). The main benefit of using x64 over x86 is that it can address higher amounts of RAM. Windows32 can't use anything more than 4GB, Windows64 can use 2TB or something.

Now that most hardware companies have released drivers for 64-bit, there's very little reason not to go for that version if your processor supports it.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the x86 name comes from the old AT machines using the 8086 chip hence the name x86, before 8086 chip they used 8088 and they were xt machines xt machine were mid 80's the first machine with the 8086 was the 286

and what the above guy said is sort of right too,x86 means 32bit and x64 means 64bit, AMD cyrix and other cpu manufactuers used the 8086 I know I had a 386 sx 25 by AMD back in 1992

source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AAlcoholic said:
x86 refers to the 386/486/586 instruction set, from Intel, for those same processors, all of which were 32-bit.

x64 is by AMD, and was actually called x86-64 and AMD64 before most people just shortened the name (Intel had their own 64-bit thing, it didn't do so hot). It succeeded over the Intel one because it was more compatible with the older x86 instruction set, and thus Intel licensed it from AMD (which is partially why AMD is still around with their Athlons: mutual agreement not to sue each other and borrow each other's tech). The main benefit of using x64 over x86 is that it can address higher amounts of RAM. Windows32 can't use anything more than 4GB, Windows64 can use 2TB or something.

Now that most hardware companies have released drivers for 64-bit, there's very little reason not to go for that version if your processor supports it.
Nice, that answers my question..
Thanks again!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~