Homebrew Windows on the New 3DS

henryglends

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[LIST said:
[*]For Windows 95, put an image of the system into the retroarch_3ds folder called W95.img
[*]Once you load up Windows N3DS, go to Load Content -> Select File -> smdc:/ -> 3ds -> retroarch_3ds -> and choose which OS you want to run. ld31.bat = Windows 3.1, ld98.bat = Windows 98, ld95.bat = Windows 95
[*]Once it is loaded, you may have to change settings to allow you to move the arrow keys with the d-pad, to press enter using start, etc. by doing this:
[*]Open settings by pressing bottom screen, press b, go to settings, input, input user 1 binds. Change User 1 device type to Joystick (4axis/4buttons + kbd arrows) and then go back to the main screen. Save current config. You can then press the bottom screen again to resume the Windows startup.
[*]With this setting, D-PAD = Arrow keys, Start = Enter, Select = Esc
[/LIST]
If you decide to use Windows 98, I recommend using a build of 98lite Professional if you can (for startup time).
I hope I helped you guys! Remember, this currently only works on New 3DS models. You will probably get a red screen if you try on the O3DS. It just doesn't work right now.
hi, would you be able to help me?

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This can only run DOS based versions of Windows. XP is not one of those, so it'll never boot.
it does the same with 98 and 95 though.....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It applies to both 95/98 anyway. The only difference is that 98 is capable of running 4GB drives.

Regardless, if it's one of those sizes then take the respective geometry list there and edit it into your .bat. For example, a 1GB .img will use 512,63,64,520 so you edit the imgmount line in the .bat file to:
Code:
imgmount 2 c:\[name of img].img -size 512,63,64,520 -t hdd -fs none
boot c:\[name of img].img

The "2" after imgmount refers to the drive directory of the OS installed in the .img, so 0 is A, 1 is B, 2 is C and so on. Most normal Windows OS are installed to the C:\ drive so best to keep it at 2.

The "boot c:\[name of img].img" line after it makes it so the .bat file will automatically attempt to run the .img file mounted.

The resulting .bat file should look something like this:
Code:
cls
@echo off
echo -------------------------------------------------
echo Windows 95 Loader by LarBob Doomer
echo -------------------------------------------------

goto win95

:win95
echo.
echo.
echo Launching Windows 95
z:
imgmount 2 c:\W95.img -size 512,63,64,520 -t hdd -fs none
boot c:\W95.img
goto end

:end
@echo on

even after this, the image says it mounts, but it still hangs on booting from drive a

Lemondemonforever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It says it cant find a hard disk.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My NN3DS says (On W95) that it can't find a hard disk... Can someone help me?

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you give me or tell me where i can find a funtional windows 95/98 logo?
png-transparent-windows-95-microsoft-windows-microsoft-corporation-windows-98-longhorn-windows...png

Reactions: LingFox

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Super cool but also very frustrating due to the limitation of the machine, the limits of handling (no mouse) but apart from that it's really nice to see these old OS running on N3DS, thank you for this :)

Reactions: LingFox

LingFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Super cool but also very frustrating due to the limitation of the machine, the limits of handling (no mouse) but apart from that it's really nice to see these old OS running on N3DS, thank you for this :)
Indeed, it's a pretty novelty thing, no doubt about it.
What is the use of this exactly?
if it ran at any sort of decent speed, like the dsx86 thing, you could use it to play old games such as commander keen. as of now, its just a novelty thing.

I wonder if it's just W95/98 running slow or if 3.1 will go as slow.

edit: I'm so sorry for the necro, I forgot to check the last post's date.

Last edited by LingFox,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr